Now Listening...

You Are Here

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dick's Picks 18 - 2/3/1978 & 2/5/1978

Why am I listening to the GD? Not entirely sure. That said, there is something I wrote a week or two ago that I feel is quite applicable to the music of the Grateful Dead and may provide some reasoning as to why...

Truly good music grows on you. You hear more each time you listen to it. Sounds you never heard before have somehow snuck their way into the song, yet the song has always been the same. It makes you think. You grow old with the song. And, one day, you die. The goodbye is always sweet, as the song still remains for someone else to find meaning in it just as you did. It's an infinitely looping process of birth and death with the music being the constant.

All good art is eternal.

The music hasn't been much of a priority in my life lately and seemingly may not ever again, but I cannot deny it's everlasting beauty.

Peace out bitchez,

Mikey Mike

• Forum MVP

6/24/85 rained hard during set break, clearing out my mom, sister and brother-in-law from the lawn (I had got a third row pavilion), so they got the first set in and got to experience all the colors and dancing of a show. That second set..... during smokestack.... the sky had turned an amazing, after rainstorm, night coming on, GOLD, it was shining, then the He's Gone "nothings going to bring him back, echoed as the storm clouds pushed away, nothing was going to bring them back, then a comes and a cryptical and a rat following drums justified Jerry wearing that blue blazer he had on that night. Nothing's ever been the same since that magical night. The recordings still hold true up to today. Thanks for bringing it up. I've got a four day weekend that might land me right in the middle of 6/24 without a chance of sleep for at least 8 hours  ;)

Kingfish April 3rd 1976 Beacon NYC. Mystery Train>Mule Skinner opener, Battle Of New Orleans, Goodbye Your Honor(they say that judge he got a reefer grudge, bound to give you 20 years!), Big Iron, And that's the 1st set! C.C. Rider, Promised Land, Lazy Lightning>Supplication, Jump For Joy, Asia Minor, Minglewood, a lot of fun stuff in this show! This lead guitar player Robbie Hoddinott really smokes! This is the King Biscuit Flower Hour release, Im sure a lot of you may be familiar with it.

• Forum MVP

April 6th, 1984 set two, sublime space>eyes>Peter>Truckin>Black Peter>sugar. These are some of the slickest segues I've heard in awhile. Do yourself a favor, there's a smokestack in there that Jerry don't go for

Fast-fingers on everything! It's got some flubs and some sloppy (read: GD) but this show smokes! There are some fast Eyes but this one is turbo-charged. Casey x2

That whole 2nd set is fantastic! Post space is truly excellent - huge Blk Pete themes! Sugar Mags is transitioned s bit rough and then Jerry kicks it into gear and they all fall in line.

Really a wonderful show - Thanks AC!

• Forum MVP

listened to both 04-06-84 and 11-4-77. Thanks for sharing !

The Eyes in 77 blasts off to an amazing fierceness and into that Estimated is delicious. 

I bet the 84 crowd was wondering just what was about to happen at the end of Black Peter. Fastest Sugar Mag I have heard - simplistic and yet ripping. 

Archived