Now Listening...

You Are Here

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

“Grateful Dead master class with Dave Frank: Exploring "Dark Star" This is an interesting exploration from the “music theory” aspect.  I’m not sure if I will enjoy the sounds more or less after listening to all these concepts.  Just dancing to “Dark Star”  under the stars with a full moon and friends all around suits me just fine.  But I wonder if anyone could describe the dancing with words and phrases like he does for the music.

Jerry Garcia & Merl Saunders 1973-11-03 Keystone, Berkeley, CA.

Was playing part of this show for Mason a couple of days ago. Probably in my top 3 for Jerry/Merl shows. One of the few shows where I honestly think the first set is better than the second. And, not that there is anything disappointing about the second set. The first set is just that hot!

Happy new year, everyone!

I've had the Hartford 77 terrapin show on heavy rotation in my car. One of the most heartfelt wharf rats imo. Around 9:00 when jerry belts out..I got a giiiiirrrrllllllll. I've haven't heard him sing that line in that way before. He holds on to the line and The soul, passion,heart behind it is something special. If you wanna put a huge smile on your face to start your day give it a listen. Go giants!

• Forum MVP

Is there any show better than 6-9-76?  I dont know if Ive ever heard a better 2nd set than that one.  So much experimenting with song versions.  The band was on fire.  Lots of little things going on nonstop.  They really put themselves out there on several song versions.  The eyes has to be one of the best 2 drummer versions ever if not the greatest.  I decided to confirm my thoughts at Heady and find that this eyes was way down the popularity chart, but Heady seems to be about which version is on the most popular CDs.  That Around and Around is definitely not a throwaway version here.  Its pure goodness and usually when I hear those intro notes I sort of just go through the motions.  Drummers are on fire this night!!! 

• Forum MVP

I also had friends over this weekend and put on an easy for non dead heads to appreciate show,  5-11-77.  Holy shit I dont think Ive hardly heard a show where the board was manipulated so much.  I didnt realize how much of a melter this show was.  Non stop spacial manipulation to the point of lessening the impact of the actual playing.  It was a charlie miller flac I have, but assume its the same on other boards.  It was constant sound going left to right front to back to spacial to no space.  There were times where the volume would be turned up every time the keys hit and down on the off beat.  My buddy commented something like, the board operator seemed like he had a new toy and wanted to use it nonstop.  There were times where I got really annoyed by it as the music is good enough during jams to let it go.  Constantly bringing the music front and back left and right can get annoying at times but it was definitely a face melter. 

I did turn on 1 person who had listened to terrapin station a ton live dead.  He couldnt comprehend there was this level quality out there and for free.  He also passed out in the front yard and doesnt remember the night so no new deadhead created.

• 2 weeks later...

April 2nd, 1989 Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, PA - Man Smart Women Smarter

To the millions across the world who went out and protested yesterday. Regardless of the politics behind it, I respect anyone who will go out and stand up for what they believe in without resorting to violence.

• Forum MVP

April 2nd, 1989 Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, PA - Man Smart Women Smarter

To the millions across the world who went out and protested yesterday. Regardless of the politics behind it, I respect anyone who will go out and stand up for what they believe in without resorting to violence.

Meili went to DC for the march.  She was never very political even for a social worker and was sort of coerced by her mom to go, not looking forward to it, but she had an enjoyable time and it was a historic event.  She said everyone there was very positive like at a Dead show.  She asked how many were at the dead show in Chicago. I was like 100k.  She said she remembered how it took over 30 minutes to get to Michigan ave after the show.  She didn't move an inch for 3 hours in DC.  Im like 500k is s slightly different animal.

10-19-1971 Northrop Auditorium, University of Minnesota

Keith sits in for Pig Pen on organ.  Really cool listening to Keith play Pig Pen's organ parts.  Completely different sounding organ playing than any the Dead had.

I found a gem with this one. This whole show is a blast.  The band were bombarding fans with new music in '71 and they're really just starting to develop all the songs that eventually make their mark during the Europe 72' tour.

Passionate versions of songs abound and passionate singing by Jerry on this recording (see Comes a Time).  Jerry LOVED sharing new songs!  Ramble on Rose, Cumberland, Brown Eyed Woman, Tennessee Jed and so many other tunes being played either a touch faster or slower than most are likely used to.  The Tennessee Jed is especial unique in my opinion.

A super psychedelic Other One with Billy absolutely hell bent on proving that he can provide just as many beats by himself as two drummers could, as he did every in performance in Mickey's absence.

March 6th, 1976 Moore's Egyptian Theater, Seattle, WA - Moonlight Mile

This is one of those songs, where I like the Jerry version significantly more than the original. I just love what he did with this song. I think this song is much better slowed down as much as it is. Brings the sort of sense of the long nights on the road with nothing but your own thoughts to keep you company. I think the female vocals add a lot to the feeling as well.

• Forum MVP

10/19/71 is a member of the inner sanctum of game changers that rolled through along this crazy path.  Keith's first show and 6 bust outs.  2/18/71 unquestionably fits that mold.  Mickey's last show until 10/74 and another 6 big bust outs.  2/9/73 completes what is arguably a trio - 7 bust outs in this one.

Archived