Now Listening...

You Are Here

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

What a cool thread.

7-18-90.  Da Creek.  One of my favorite shows, which I also happened to attend.  Both this and the next night are stellar and I highly recommend them anytime you're seeking shows from this era.

Many highlights, but from this night the OO is excellent.  So is the HSF, China/Rider, and Dew, not that any of you would skip any parts of this one.  

As if everyone reading this did not already know about these, lol.

• Forum MVP
On 5/8/2017 at 1:56 PM, chuckvegas said:

Because this is so damn good. And things are even better when it's at the Cap.

One of my cherished memories was catching the B-52's live at Vanderbilt in '83 when I was in college......the liquid lysergic really enhanced an already titillating dance party.

• Forum MVP

Nice! I saw them a couple of times back then with my boho wife. Fueled dance party is right! Thanks to her I also was blessed with attendance at life-altering Talking Heads shows, which of course has made me a proud Heads Head ever since.

The B's lost a lot when Ricky Wilson passed away, but have remained a band true to an ethic that far transcends "novelty act" status. Folks, want something a little different from the normal fare here? Check out "Dirty Back Road."

9 hours ago, chuckvegas said:

Nice! I saw them a couple of times back then with my boho wife. Fueled dance party is right! Thanks to her I also was blessed with attendance at life-altering Talking Heads shows, which of course has made me a proud Heads Head ever since.

The B's lost a lot when Ricky Wilson passed away, but have remained a band true to an ethic that far transcends "novelty act" status. Folks, want something a little different from the normal fare here? Check out "Dirty Back Road."

Ah... to be transported back to 1980 with the ultimate new wave party dance band! Have seen them twice (1989 and 2013), and both shows were a lot of fun, but I agree that the band was never the same following Ricky's death. Such a gentle, quiet soul, but man could he play that thrashing guitar! Never got to see the Talking Heads, and I could kick myself for that!!! Had a chance to go see them at Merriweather Post Pavilion on what would be their final tour in the Summer of 1983, but I blew it off. Big mistake! Speaking of 1980, if you haven't checked out the Heads show from Rome in that year on Youtube, please do yourself a favor and view it with the volume cranked up as high as possible (without distortion, of course!). Adrian Belew sat in with them, and his guitar licks are incredible!

• Forum MVP
10 hours ago, chuckvegas said:

Yes, the following year I was graced with a front row view of the now legendary Stop Making Sense tour in Nashville......one of my top 5 favorite shows ever.

Pretenders Learning to Crawl tour show around that time hardly sucked either........ah, the 80's indeed.

• Forum MVP

Oh man, we saw the Heads on that tour in Dallas and Houston! Hands down some of the greatest music I have had the pleasure to dance to in my life. It was an honor and a privilege. The YouTube of Life During Wartime is classic. "Does anyone have any questions?" Genius!

And did somebody say Rome? I check this out at least once a week. Pure Tina bliss starting at 2:12, plus like you said Adrian's off the chart sonic barrage...

• Forum MVP

For any classical music fans- I attended once again an amazing fundraiser for our community's free medical clinic. Classical pieces, either solo or duet, by Djorak, Bach, List and Brahms were performed. "Three Comcert Etudes, S.144, No 3" by List was amazing as the pianist played the piece hands crossed and seemed not to miss a note in his cascade of flourishes. It sounded like a waterfall at one point!

So one pianist with a masters in Piano Pedagogy shared Brahms was entranced by the Hungarian street musicians, his pieces inspired ragtime  ( wow !! of which is uber important to Grateful Dead pedagogy) and we heard Hungarian Dances Nos. 1,4, and 5 in this lovely home. No. 1 was by far my favorite! 

• Forum MVP

Jorma on Spotify, various live shows from 201y. I just love listening to this stuff, and the banter in between songs. So many good tracks but have been loving Been so long, things that might have been, sleep song, sea child, serpent of dreams, Genesis, water song... The list goes on. 

Very excited for acoustic hot tuna at Jubilee!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

From Fairport Convention and Steeleye Span we can still hear the Old  Folk songs of the British Isles.  This music traveled to our eastern Appalachian Mountains and became Bluegrass.  The fiddles and jug bands were heard and played out west in San Francisco Bay…from there developed the jam bands which we dance to today.   

• 3 weeks later...

Archived