Now Listening...

You Are Here

• Forum MVP

John did indeed write it. Wikipedia, that indispensable research tool, tells the interesting tale of his and Glen's recordings and the '68 Grammy awards. 

It got a lot more air play that year than, say, Dark Star or The Eleven did on the radio stations my parents listened to while we were in the car.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

https://archive.org/details/gd1977-05-15.28916.sbeok.flac16/gd77-05-15d3t02.flac

Please listen to the St Stephens, iko iko---nfa.

Not sure why I am so amazed by the movement into iko.....it sounds like nfa, but they pull out the iko.  

Nothing mind blowing, but it sort of is to me.  Iko and nfa are no where near the same song.  

Wish I knew music more, but this slice of the Dead's chapter has me relistening.   

Music intermingles like life.

• Forum MVP

Treated myself to the July 78 box set.

Sublime Estimated from Omaha.

Read the accompanying book while I burned

the cds into my itunes library and this show

had 3600 at a 15000 arena.

Talk about dance space

Praise DSO

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advisory Board

https://archive.org/details/gd1973-03-26.sbd.miller.34787.sbeok.flac16

Listen to the introduction to the second set. Then listen to the first song and hear the coolest little thing. It must have put a big smile on everyone's face. I was smiling just anticipating it and hearing the inflection in Jerry's voice and the crowd reaction. 

So, Ramble On Rose was first played on 10/19/71. It was played about 64 times before this particular show in Baltimore. Between the first time played and this show the band only played in Baltimore once, in 1972 and they didn't play the song at that show. The song was released on Europe 72 on 11/5/72. A decent chunk of those 64 shows between the songs intro and this show were in Europe. The point? I imagine that alot of folks in the audience (Baltimore, not SF, not NYC) had not really heard the song before unless they were diehard tour heads or maybe from hearing it on the album released only about 4 months prior. Maybe they weren't sure what was about to happen. But enough did because you hear the crowd reaction (or at least they caught Jerrys crystal clear and nice enunciation and reacted in the moment). 

And a a really nice sounding Charlie Miller 73 show. Check it out!

Dr. BB)

• Forum MVP
9 minutes ago, bs69 said:

This song used in the classic climactic scene from "Manhunter" is one of the best uses of music in film ever

Agreed - the action from that scene seems to flow right with the rhythm of the song. 

It's been awhile since I've seen Manhunter - may have to dial that one up again.  Lol - Not quite the same production value as the Red Dragon but a much better movie

• Forum MVP
On 9/15/2017 at 8:30 AM, Dr. Barry said:

https://archive.org/details/gd1973-03-26.sbd.miller.34787.sbeok.flac16

Listen to the introduction to the second set. Then listen to the first song and hear the coolest little thing. It must have put a big smile on everyone's face. I was smiling just anticipating it and hearing the inflection in Jerry's voice and the crowd reaction. 

So, Ramble On Rose was first played on 10/19/71. It was played about 64 times before this particular show in Baltimore. Between the first time played and this show the band only played in Baltimore once, in 1972 and they didn't play the song at that show. The song was released on Europe 72 on 11/5/72. A decent chunk of those 64 shows between the songs intro and this show were in Europe. The point? I imagine that alot of folks in the audience (Baltimore, not SF, not NYC) had not really heard the song before unless they were diehard tour heads or maybe from hearing it on the album released only about 4 months prior. Maybe they weren't sure what was about to happen. But enough did because you hear the crowd reaction (or at least they caught Jerrys crystal clear and nice enunciation and reacted in the moment). 

And a a really nice sounding Charlie Miller 73 show. Check it out!

Dr. BB)

Thanks for sharing this, Dr. B!  I was not aware of this little tidbit.

• Forum MVP

In honor of the 30th Anniversary (yes, 30th) of an iconic GD show from the LSG!  Some of the best energy of the '80's flowed from this one:

http://relisten.net/grateful-dead/1987/9/18-1/hell-in-a-bucket

Last DSO re-creation?  10/29/2010 @ The Pageant.  About ready for the dust to get blown off of this one :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

3-20-86 Hampton, VA. 

A somewhat heralded show I attended where the long awaited Box bust out occurred.  I was not hip to the significance at the time having gotten on the bus in 85. I for sure felt the energy rise when PHIL stepped up to the mic. A quintessential mid 80's set list and was fortunate to hear DSO recreate it in Asheville along with the night before or after.  I was at the DSO show with my brother who took me to the originals in 86. ❤️👍

• 4 weeks later...

Archived