Now Listening...

You Are Here

On 9/13/2017 at 7:53 PM, Island Bro said:

Such a fucking classic!

when I got turned on to that album in sophomore year of high school it definitely flipped my lid

I heard once that the original working title was in the garden of Eden but he was so waisted he ended up singing inadoddadavida

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/30/2017 at 7:01 PM, chuckvegas said:

If nothing else, start at around 1:00:24 and stick with it for about 14 minutes. But really, the whole documentary is well worth the time invested. 

Chuck do you know who's the guy in the beginning who is wearing leather and said fuck you to bill and Bill chased him out?

• Forum MVP

That is a good question. Let me go back and watch it again on a real puter later today.

And upon further review, I don’t know. The jacket and hat outfit was distinctive but doesn’t ring a bell. Bill evidently hadn’t seen the “new” version of his group, his “fuck you” to the premier promoter of the times was probably career suicide, and the rest was likely history. I’m intrigued and will dig deeper.

• Forum MVP

Last Days of the Fillmore Bill Graham leather jacket guy “fuck you” scene mystery possibly solved:

There is a consensus that it was Mike Wilhelm, who was in the Charlatans and who clearly wanted his then band Loose Gravel to play. Later he joined the Flamin' Groovies.

Some thought that the scene may have been staged (or at least amped up for the camera). Some say they basically made up shortly thereafter. I can’t vouch for either since I was only 16 and wasn’t there.

On 1/24/2018 at 2:52 AM, chuckvegas said:

That is a good question. Let me go back and watch it again on a real puter later today.

And upon further review, I don’t know. The jacket and hat outfit was distinctive but doesn’t ring a bell. Bill evidently hadn’t seen the “new” version of his group, his “fuck you” to the premier promoter of the times was probably career suicide, and the rest was likely history. I’m intrigued and will dig deeper.

I only thought that he was some bay area musician whose band was semi known by the way he puts it but his arrogance guaranteed him a sure one way ticket to obscurity. Anyway i figured if anyone had an inkling you might.

2 minutes ago, chuckvegas said:

The Charlatans were one of the very first bands to combine the musical elements that came to be the San Francisco sounds.

E39A28E5-722D-4FFF-AF7E-9E017CA34AFF.jpeg

Weren't they part of chet helms family dog who started out playing shows at correct me if I'm wrong the red dog saloon. And i didn't look it up so I'm almost as good as you but alias I've got a way too go

5 minutes ago, helpfrankslip said:

Weren't they part of chet helms family dog who started out playing shows at correct me if I'm wrong the red dog saloon. And i didn't look it up so I'm almost as good as you but alias I've got a way too go

That's what happens when you read so many dead autobiographies, eventually there's some parts that say the same things and the whole family dog story is one of them

• Forum MVP

Yes, the Charlatans got in on the ground floor of the whole scene we know and love not only in sound but look. They were at the Red Dog at the same time, if not before, the Warlocks were playing Magoo’s Pizza. Big time Family Dog folks! Not to mention Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks came out of the original lineup.

Some of you will probably recognize this, which helped start the SF poster style:

03BA85D4-1B03-4616-9101-3D4C8253E6CD.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

-dead/1985/6/27

Saratoga 85 supplication>high time is about as rockin the dead did, followed by an understated bucket.  The Hershey first set that follows 6.28.85 has probably the best jam into comes a time that has ever been recorded,  sbd is great for the Ain't Superstitious before. Listen to these loud 

• Forum MVP

grateful-dead/1987/6/30/04

Canada right after Alpine, really booming while I was taping; however,  this sbd highlights an incredible Loser, check out the tunnel healy takes jerry's lead into. The second set China doll was played to soothe our souls after a grueling border check, then the fantasy left us all happy.  TOO out of space reminded us all were in another country, be careful.  Haven't listened to my masters much, but  this soundboard makes this my current choice to trip out. Do yourself favor as you get ready to start tour

On 5/4/2018 at 7:30 PM, Ammagamalin Crew said:

this sbd highlights an incredible Loser, check out the tunnel healy takes jerry's lead into. The second set China doll was played to soothe our souls after a grueling border check, then the fantasy left us all happy.  TOO out of space reminded us all were in another country, be careful.  Haven't listened to my masters much, but  this soundboard makes this my current choice to trip out. Do yourself favor as you get ready to start tour

Cool effect during Loser, great scarlet fire and listening to estimated right now. Thanks for the recommendation 👂👂

Archived