Now Listening...

You Are Here

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Hey thanks for that kind reminder. Too bad the archive source ends after Stay Up Late but good thing it goes that far.

:) Ricky Skaggs - I'm Just a Country Boy at Heart ...or maybe just Country Boy - fat jams like a little show all in one tune.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ammagamalin Crew

7-15-88 #2 Greek Theatre during the dustbowl summer! our buddy who was wearing the microphone hat for the Sunday 7-17-88 afternoon show passed out due to heat exhaustion. This was the Friday evening show, so they blew out all the "hot" tunes while it was still cool enough. There is no way they could have done this show during the 2pm Sunday slot

• Forum MVP

Grateful DeadGrateful Dead Live at Paramount Theater on 1977-10-02 (October 2, 1977). The WOLF is back!

http://www.archive.org/details/gd77-10-02.sbd.unknown.278.sbeok.shnf

If you have never listened to the Casey Jones that starts the festivities - do yourself a favor! It is a particularly potent version that kicks into another gear compliments of a failed lyrical re-entry by Jerry. He blows the line and then proceeds to guide the band through an extended period of scorched-earth. Very jammy indeed.

A very strong first set that includes a very rare appearace of Dupree's (1st since 1969 I believe). I know there many sick-n-scary Let It Grow's. This one is especially thick with numerous Spanish Jam riffs throughout.

A very good Scarlett>Fire which includes some interesting lyrical substitutions during the Fire. After that, you get sucker-punched by the: PITB>>Drums>>Wheel>>Truckin>Other One>>Wharf Rat>>Sugar Mags. Pay particular attention to the Truckin>Other One passage for its obvious face-melting qualities.

Gotta go - I am gonna to listen to the Casey Jones again > I'd like to have it one time more!

• Forum MVP

Today I was cleaning out some junk from the back of the closet and found disk one of Without A Net and I forgot just how sick this was.

The mix is right on and the sweet sweet ever-changing sound of Jerrys guitar :) :) :)

RIP Clifton Hanger. We miss you.

• Forum MVP

http://www.archive.org/details/dnb1998-06-27.sbd.selleseth.flac16

"I went to the College of Evil... but the smoke really drove me away... I'd go crazy if I wasn't so lazy, tell me what more can I sayyyyyyyyyyyyy?"

Do yourself a favor and pay a visit to this crispy A+ recording of a fun-filled early DNB show. Yum Yum. Variety is the spice of life.

...or at least just check out Kick in the Head or the Wheel

...just don't say I never told you about it!

:D

• Forum MVP

June 1974...

Set I

Ramble On Rose

Black Throated Wind

Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo

Beat It On Down The Line

Row Jimmy

Jack Straw

Let It Rock

Cumberland Blues

El Paso

To Lay Me Down

Weather Report Suite Prelude ->

Weather Report Suite Part ->

Let It Grow ->

China Doll

I believe the band began to channel the monumental John Coltrane shows they saw in the 1960's around this era... just pure wildness, dripping with energy. At this point Jerry was a Zen master of both his guitar and voice... Phil had proved himself to be a true innovator of the way one approaches playing the bass guitar... Bobby had also revealed himself to be a true pioneer of rhythm guitar... Billy was integral to the band navigating the musics more spontaneous nature...

This is clear in El Paso, where mid-song, Bobby has to says: "Easy boys..."

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1974-06-23.sbd.matrix-sb21b.chappell.83489.flac16

6-23-74 Jai-Alai Fronton, Miami

Only GD let it rock and a beauty of a to lay me down. Actually the whole Lay me Down, WRS/Let it Grow>China Doll is quite yummy

Thats it. I can't take it anymore!!!!! Haven't downloaded a show in 2 months after going on a downloading frenzy Dec/Jan/Feb. I had so much music but wasn't giving it a proper listen. So Mar/Apr/May was for listening and ignoring all the suggestions of good shows from this board. This show just looks to good. I will download it this afternoon.

• Forum MVP

Berkeley Community Theater on 1972-08-21

http://www.archive.org/details/gd72-08-21.sbd.hamilton.150.sbeok.shnf

One of my all-time favorites! It is all good but I particularly like the D-Star>El Paso passage. Yikes! Also one of the most spiirited GSET's I have ever heard. So good.....

The next one in Berkley on the 24th is quite something as well. Brilliantly layered with some incredible, pure jazz. And then towards the end of it, all that's come before gathers into something that's haunted me for a long time--the transition into Dew. I don't know who's playing strings (I have to assume it is someone from NRPS playing cello or someone playing a stand up bass with a bow?), but it's just impossible to describe the beauty that arises as Garcia and Phil and this guy/gal slither into Morning Dew, which is of course, is epic. Extraordinary stuff---give it a listen if you haven't yet.

And, a great many of us know what happened on the 27th.

A pretty good week for Dark Sar. :)

Downloaded and listening to 6-23-74. Sounds great so far. I'm at Row Jimmy and Billy is goin off in Jerry's solo and it sounds sweet.

I also went back in this thread a bit and picked up 9-29-89, 7-18-89 (I was there I should have had it already) and 8-21-72.

Anyway, I love this board because of all the show recomendations.

• Forum MVP

Another offering from the magical '73-'74 epoch. The IT folks here prohibit any kind of streaming, so I have to resort to pre-millennial tech.

People used to use books of matches for all kinds of things.

bob_dylan_before_the_flood_1996_retail_cdAfront_resized.jpg

• Forum MVP

Downloaded and listening to 6-23-74. Sounds great so far. I'm at Row Jimmy and Billy is goin off in Jerry's solo and it sounds sweet.

Wait till you get to THAT Dark Star and the moment in THAT Spanish Jam and the transition into the US Blues!

So wonderful to see people discovering this magic....even though that word with stuff in beyond cliche....that's what it is, really.

Wait till you get to THAT Dark Star and the moment in THAT Spanish Jam and Phil's into into the US Blues!

So wonderful to see people discovering this magic....even though that word with stuff in beyond cliche....that's what it is, really.

I'm 2 minutes into the Dark Star right now..........

Wait till you get to THAT Dark Star and the moment in THAT Spanish Jam and Phil's into into the US Blues!

wow, good stuff. I especially liked the spanish jam. It was hardcore. Phils bombs from spanish jam to us blues were hot. Thanks for the heads up, Dstone, as usual. The dark star had no lyrics right? I was working aroung the house so maybe I missed them. Why isn't it called dark star jam? I've always wondered about that.

The whole show is nice. I finally had a moment where I realized I know more than I think. The show starts with Ramble on Rose and I thought that seems different. I looked in deadbase and saw of all the ramble on rose's only 2 others opened a show. Thats probably an easy one, but for me I was proud.

• Forum MVP

So, if you describe the magic as epic, do two cliches make an originality? wink.gif

Archived