Now Listening...

You Are Here

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Listened to 5-21-77 today for the first time in a while and was blown away again by how seriously good this one was! I believe Mr. Vegas attended this...Show flows beautifully...

Bertha, Me & My Uncle, They Love Each Other, Cassidy, Jack A Roe, Jack Straw, Tennessee Jed, New Minglewood Blues, Row Jimmy, Passenger, Scarlet Begonias-> Fire On The Mountain

Samson & Delilah, Brown Eyed Women, Estimated Prophet-> He's Gone-> Drums-> The Other One-> Comes A Time-> Saint Stephen-> Not Fade Away-> Saint Stephen-> One More Saturday Night, E: U.S. Blues

11/11/1997 Martyrs', Chicago, IL

Kinda fun hearing Kevin sing songs not normally associated with him (Phil).

10-08-1981 Forum Theater, Copenhagen, Denmark

Set One:
Feel Like Stranger, They Love Each Other > C. C. Rider, Cumberland Blues, Mama Tried > Mexicali Blues , Althea, Cassidy, Loser, Music Never Stopped

Set Two:
Scarlet Begonias > Fire on the Mountain, Playing In The Band > Terrapin Station > Drumz > Space > Not Fade Away > Black Peter > Around And Around > Johnny B. Goode

John Kadlecik, Scott Larned, Mike Maraat, Kevin Rosen, Ahmer Nizam & Dave Cohen

oh and I had forgotten skip made an appearance that evening. this show used to me one of my old go-to's.

https://archive.org/details/dso2005-11-19-mix

Disc 1 (Set 1):
Big RxR Blues
Jack Straw
Sugaree
Mexicali
H C Sunshine
B. T. Wind
Cumberland
Row Jimmy
Race Is On
B E Women
BIODTL
Tennessee Jed

Disc 2 (set 1 cont):
El Paso
China Cat>
I Know You Rider
Around
Filler: Scarlet*

Disc 3 (Set 2):
Truckin>
Other One>
Big River>
Other One>
Eyes>
Other One>
Wharf Rat
Me & My Uncle
GDTRFB>
Saturday Night

1968-08-22 Fillmore West

This was released partly on Two from the Vault. New Potatoo Caboose is my favorite part of this show. Phil takes it up a level at about the 5:30 mark (Two from the Vault version), and then an resplendent jam ensues, culminating into complete bliss as Bobby lays down some highlife-esque rythms near the end of the jam section around 7:20 mark.

Truly special music.

https://archive.org/details/gd68-08-22.sbd.cotsman.14915.sbeok.shnf

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

6/9/76 > Boston Music Hall

Never been a huge '76 fan (except when DSO recreates) but I've been spending more time with this year lately and its quickly moving up my list of favorite years.  Just love the jazzy vibe!  Some great LIG's, Playins, St. Stephens, amongst many others. 

Interesting question:  This show features a Mission in the Rain which is excellent.  Are there an other Mission's the GD played besides this one?  I could find out but thought somebody would know right away.

:)

• Forum MVP

There was no Mission played on 6/9. 6/9 has the return so St. Stephen to open the second set and a huuuuge Eyes. They did play Mission in Boston on 6/10 and 6/12. I love all of 76, especially June but those Boston shows have a special place in my heart along with the following Beacon shows. 6/14 has one of the best Crazy Fingers and H/S/F ever. Anyways back to Mission; the three other shows are 6/4 Oregon, 6/18 Capitol NJ, and 6/29 Chicago.

Much like Believe It or Not and If I Had The World To Give, I'll never understand why it was axed from the GD repertoire. At least Mission really shined with JGB.

I like a lot of those June 76 shows. Partially because I just really like the song selection. Good mix of some of the older material with songs they were just beginning to try out. There are a few other Missions in June 76 but that is it.

Here is what I'm listening too now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J0ubT-VYco

The jazz flute is badass!

• Forum MVP

There was no Mission played on 6/9. 6/9 has the return so St. Stephen to open the second set and a huuuuge Eyes. They did play Mission in Boston on 6/10 and 6/12. I love all of 76, especially June but those Boston shows have a special place in my heart along with the following Beacon shows. 6/14 has one of the best Crazy Fingers and H/S/F ever. Anyways back to Mission; the three other shows are 6/4 Oregon, 6/18 Capitol NJ, and 6/29 Chicago.

Much like Believe It or Not and If I Had The World To Give, I'll never understand why it was axed from the GD repertoire. At least Mission really shined with JGB.

My bad - thanks for the clarification found!.  It turns out I was listening to Raod Trips Vol. 4 No. 5 which I'm going to assume includes a few tunes from other nights of the Boston run.  I'll make sure to give more June '76 a listen. 

I too have no idea why Mission was tabled by the GD.  While it could have been a no-brainer 1st set rarity, they could almost have tucked it into the 2nd set post-drums ballad slot once in a blue moon! 

10/27/2001 Liberty Hall, Lawrence, KS (Grateful Dead 10/28/77 Soldiers' and Sailors' Memorial Hall, Kansas City, KS)

This was my first DSO show - I still remember how my jaw dropped and the hair on the back of my neck stood up! 2001, '02 & '03 are my years! that is when I was still able to get to shows and young enough to have some fun. Partying after shows with the band and crew definitely Happy Days!

Set One:

Promised, They Love Each Other, Cassidy, Tennessee Jed, Mexicali-> Big River, Brown Eyed Women, Lazy Lightning-> Supplication, Deal

Set Two:

Samson & Delilah, Candyman, Sunrise, Passenger, He's Gone-> drumz/space-> Not Fade Away-> Stella Blue-> Going Down The Road Feeling Bad-> Around and Around

Encore:

Casey Jones

Filler:

Estimated Prophet-> Don't Ease Me In

Found this cool little jam on Blues for Allah the other day. Really love a lot of these cool jams the dead did throughout their live and studio material. One of the biggest reasons I am most affectionate for the early Dead; the music was completely free of bounds and unpreditable. Out of the ashes of a apocryphal Dark Star would arise jams of such elegance and sublimity.

I feel this is a good Friday jam; it speaks great joy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARzWplGHiYI

Who knows why Mission was dropped? World to Give, for me, I can understand perhaps why...But... 76 has been heavy in my GD rotation and I have rediscovered my appreciation for these shows...Eclectic set lists, Jerry's voice is almost otherworldly at time, and Keith is present and Phil is loud...This was my first year of seeing multiple shows...8 between Boston and Upper Darby...

Archived