Now Listening...

You Are Here

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2/18/1978 JGB. Listening to the Pure Jerry release that has the first few songs of the show. Jerry tears up the Catfish John! I've listened to the recording before, but somehow didn't notice until now. Check it out if you can!

Chuck put me on a JGB binge after he told me John K. is playing full JGB set lists 6 nights for 6 weeks in a row.

• Forum MVP

10-12-68 Wow!

Great DS>Stephen>Eleven>Death Don't. That Eleven is lightning fast. The whole band just rips into it full force. Phil must have been exhausted with the way he keeps up. Magnificent old show!

Wow. Amazing sound quality too!!!

• Forum MVP

DSO ,  "Werewolves of Atlanta, Halloween 2004"

The actual live show seemed to have more energy than the CDs. Maybe having folk dressed in costumes added a lot to the atmosphere.

It must be getting early
Clocks are running late
Paint by numbers morning sky
Looks so phony

Dawn is breaking everywhere
Light a candle, curse the glare
Draw the curtains, I don't care
'Cause it's alright

I will get by
I will get by
I will get by
I will survive

I see you got your list out
Say your piece and get out
Yes I got the gist of it
But it's alright

Sorry that you feel that way
The only thing there is to say
Every silver lining's got a
Touch of grey

It's a lesson to me
The Ables and the Bakers and the C's
The A B C's
We all must face
And try to keep a little grace

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright

Cows are giving kerosene
The kid can't read at seventeen
The words he knows are all obscene
But it's alright

I will get by
I will get by
I will get by
I will survive

It's a lesson to me
The Deltas and the East and the Freeze
The A B C's
We all think of
And try to keep a little love

The shoe is on the hand it fits
There's really nothing much to it
Whistle through your teeth and spit
(note 4)

'Cause it's alright

Oh well a touch of grey
Kind of suits you anyway
That was all I had to say
And it's alright

I will get by
I will get by
I will get by
I will survive

We will get by
We will get by
We will get by

We will survive

I've been away from things for a coupe years due to some serious medical situation.  Things are much better now and I'm feeling good again but I don't think I'm quite ready to spend a whole show dancing in the front row ...may be I have enough strength to last through the first set.

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Forum MVP

That was only that one time and shots were involved. That's partly why I don't drink liquor. I thought you said it would be our secret. Haha

Technically only in Vegas is it required to stay a secret. If this happened after the Brooklyn bowl show then Found just violated The Nevada law of what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

• Forum MVP

Are we talking 2" thick primo filet or run of the mill T-bone?

T-Bone?!?  Pfffttt.  Primo?  Yup:

Alexanders%20Natural%20Filet%20Mignon.jp

In the unlikely event I couldn't eat it all, I want it rare enough to be able to saddle it up and ride the rest home.

EDIT:  Just plugged in 5/19/74 to keep the thread on the rails.

• Forum MVP

5-26-77 Baltimore civic ctr. https://archive.org/details/gd77-05-26.sbd.sacks.3224.sbeok.shnf

Sunday morning coffee and the Dead. Life is good. Any show that starts with a music never stopped has my attention. Thank u Betty for these juicy recordings. Being able to hear every little intricate detail of Phil's playing is a delight.

Being the apex of BBDs, I wonder if 77 was as much legendary for playing or just the perfect sound quality of the recordings. If turning on a friend to dead I always revert to a 77 show for that nice low bass and smooth groove, but want them to hear perfect sound and marvel how a live recording in 77 sounds as good as any studio recording today.

• Forum MVP

April 71 smokes May 77.  The Pig factor can't be ignored.  I recommend a quality player - headphones or otherwise - which can help overcome some sound difficulties.  I might go to May 77 when introducing someone to the dead because it more rock and roll than psychedelic blues rock or whatever you want to call a band that covers as much territory as Jerry and the boys did in the early years.  A lot of people without the influence of drugs might have a tough time getting into a 30 min Dark Star followed by 25 minutes Stephen Eleven closing with a 20 minute love light.  All of Europe 72 is available at quality sound.  That tour had a little bit of both.  First set, more rock n roll and shorter songs.  Second set, dominated by the other one or Dark Star.  I may need to dive into some of that stuff today.  Also had the two souls.  Ah, what can ya say about the two souls. 

Archived