Now Listening...

You Are Here

• Forum MVP

Looks like 5/24/72 today.  Lyceum Theatre London, England.  First set, playing at 12 minutes 15 seconds is the longest tune and only over 10 minutes.  9 out of 14 songs under 6 minutes.  Second set, 5 out of 12 tunes over 10 minutes with a near 30 minute Other One. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

April 71 smokes May 77. The Pig factor can't be ignored. I recommend a quality player - headphones or otherwise - which can help overcome some sound difficulties. I might go to May 77 when introducing someone to the dead because it more rock and roll than psychedelic blues rock or whatever you want to call a band that covers as much territory as Jerry and the boys did in the early years. A lot of people without the influence of drugs might have a tough time getting into a 30 min Dark Star followed by 25 minutes Stephen Eleven closing with a 20 minute love light. All of Europe 72 is available at quality sound. That tour had a little bit of both. First set, more rock n roll and shorter songs. Second set, dominated by the other one or Dark Star. I may need to dive into some of that stuff today. Also had the two souls. Ah, what can ya say about the two souls.

I did just listen to the 4-25-71 show this week. Good show. I think my soul just prefers that later groove sound. I think 76 is probably my fav year but 77 boards are a little better and so many more shows. A lot of this is b/c of setlists too. I love a 76 setlist. A 76 Dancin or Music never stopped can't be beat for me. I still feel the edginess in 76 that greatly mellows into 77.

• Forum MVP

4/17 and 4/18 are must listens.  I don't like the tradeoffs after Pig of Stephen with no potential Eleven.  I much prefer Pigpen Good lovin to Bobby good lovin.  You lose Hard to Handle, Viola, Alligator.  These are songs I need in the repertoire. 

Don't get me wrong.  I love May 77.  I love all of 77.  Fall tour may be stronger than Spring tour, but at the end of the day, I will always go back to the early stuff.  

• Forum MVP

I do like the early stuff too. I know this sounds horrible but I'm such a sound snob that it's hard for me to listen to pre 73 stuff sometimes. I like the sound of early but not the SBDs so much. I understand that sounds shallow but it's the same way with much of the post Betty shows. I need to hear the hats, bass, kick, and rhythm guitar. Example being the downhill from here shows. Those are completely unlistenable to me as u can't hear Phil whatsoever. There's no kick drum either. The early 70s are much better boards for sure but I listen to 73-79 90% of the time. Currently Ive been just listening to random 73 shows as I really like Jerry in this era. This is also a reason I listen to DSO shows a ton. I can hear the 60s feel with perfect quality recordings. If this ain't the real thing it's close enough to pretend.

• Forum MVP

Played the 7-12-12 Springfield DSO 2nd set and danced the whole thing with the gf. We had a blast. Trying to get her ready for New Years run as she's a 100% dead newbie. But being the happiest person on the planet, she loved every second of it dancing with a smile for 2 hours. Drenched in sweat, hyped up from the workout, I'm having a hard time winding down for bed. This 4.5 months b/t shows sucks.

• Forum MVP

:D

https://archive.org/details/gd1974-05-19.131464.mtx.dusborne.flac16

Reviews
Average Rating: star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png

Reviewer: madriverrich1 - October 8, 2014
Subject: Bravo
 just magnificent! I am so pleased to see the extra effort that has finally paid off, I listened to this beauty start to finish yesterday and just smiled the whole way through! My only suggestion would be keep them comin'!!!!!!!!! Thanks so so much

Reviewer: Jack o' Roses - October 7, 2014
Subject: rico
delicioso

• Forum MVP

Play'n,   Playing in the Band

Day break, day break on the land.

A playfull quiz of what show is this?  What show was Play'n on my way home from work this evening.

The CD started up from where it left off earlier this morning...

"Box of Rain" as the ending of the set.

"Dark Star" started the next set.

and then a song written by Donna, sung by Lisa. a song we don't hear very often.

Play'n,   Playing in the Band

Day break, day break on the land.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Listened to 10/15/77. Okay, this is a show that you say oh, that is remarkable; wow, listen to that; that blows the doors off and by the end you think it is one of the best shows ever. Really lovely executed first set. Let it Grow was fantastical but in my head it always is!! Second set Bobby's riffs at the start of Terrapin are fascinating and the band just keeps on bringing it. St Stephen is one I will never forget. Jerry is a rock star god in this song. He just slays it!!!! NFA is noteworthy too. By that time you are so stoked it is like a primed pump.., the show just flows.

• Forum MVP

2-5-89 https://archive.org/details/gd1989-02-05.sbd.walker-scotton.miller.105612.flac16

Nice quality board. Jerry's singing sounds great. Standing on the moon got me very emotional for some reason. His singing sounded so sincere to me.

These (sadly final as too many local lawns had been pissed on) Kaiser shows were great.  This is the first version of Standing, I believe.

• Forum MVP

Ammagamalin,

Hartford 10/14 has one of my favorite scarlet>fire>Estimated>eyes ever.

While those 83 Stephens leave something to be desired musically, I get chills every time I hear the crowd go bonkers when they realize what is happening.

• Forum MVP

Today in GD history > 11/11/73

Listening to that Winterland Show in my early teens was the musical slingshot to the next level for me with the GD.  The whole show is gravy but that Dark Star > Mind Left Body > Eyes > China Doll passage literally set my soul on fire.

I hope I get the chance to see DSO do it :)

Archived