Now Listening...

You Are Here

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

I guess with the end of the year coming to a close soon enough, I'll share my favorite albums of 2014. None of which actually came out in 2014, they just got a lot of play. I'll keep my descriptions/reasons extremely brief. I'm sure most of you have heard at least two of them but I highly suggest checking out the others if you haven't.

Traveling Wilbury's - Vol. 1

Not much needs to be said. Greatest supergroup of all time. Tweeter and the Monkey Man is legendary stuff.

Ween - Quebec

An album about antidepressants for happy people. A true musical journey as each song brings something new to the table. Very whacky stuff but gives you a new way of looking at things. I Don't Want It is one of the more poignant love songs I've heard and the solo is pure passion. If You Could Save Yourself and The Argus are also magical.

Warren Zevon - Life'll Kill Ya

Latter day Zevon. A lot more stripped down and his voice and lyrics carry a lot of weight. Not a single weak track on here but his rendition of Winwood's Back in the High Life puts the song in a whole new light and My Shit's Fucked Up is just brilliant.

David Bowie - Hunky Dory

Best Bowie album in my opinion. With someone who has had so many different phases in his career and it's so hard to pin down his peak but I think this is it. Life on Mars is one of his best vocal performances ever and Oh! You Pretty Things has one of the best melodies I've ever heard. I think his compositions are perfectly stated here. Doesn't try to do too much.

XTC - Drums and Wires

British New Wave Punk. Really ground breaking stuff for 1979. Very angular guitar parts and heavy on the percussion. Production is suited well for the feel of the songs. Making Plans for Nigel is one of the greatest forgotten singles and Complicated Game has a great build to it. Exceptional closing track.

• Forum MVP

Got to see Terrapin Flyer last night.  I think there are some DSO and Cornmeal roots from the members and the JGB guitarist sat in to boot.

I gotta say, they were pretty darn good - even though they played to a room of like 10 people.  Dave Hebert was riled up and brought more heat than I'd heard him bring in the past :)  I was up the flailing away and I think it may have helped grease the wheels a little - just a little.  I felt a little bad that it was sooooo sparsely attended but Ralegh on a Sunday nite is a tough egg to crack. 

I was all over that place:  Front-to-Back, Side-to-Side.  At one point, this dood came up and asked me what I was on.  My response:  Music.

• Forum MVP

June 76. Love the setlists

Great setlists for sure. I can handle a music never stopped every night. Great era for those. Pre D/S so more songs. Loved their sound in 76 right b4 they smoothed it out in 77.

• Forum MVP

So I watched the AMA's last night with the gf. Wow modern music is shit. Boy band wins artist of the year. Serious? Some Aussie chick who raps like she's from Compton won like 4 awards. Serious?? I'm like u aren't from the projects but that's what u rap about. I wanted to shoot myself but knew DSO was just around the corner.

Archived