Now Listening...

You Are Here

• Forum MVP

Last night we played studio dead(Terrapin and later). It's been so long and I realized I have never heard the dead play the 2nd half of terrapin live. Does anyone know if they ever played that live. Has DSO ever played the entire suite?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Last night we played studio dead(Terrapin and later). It's been so long and I realized I have never heard the dead play the 2nd half of terrapin live. Does anyone know if they ever played that live. Has DSO ever played the entire suite?

The GD performed Alahambra at Winterland in March of 77 but I think that's as far as they got. The GD also performed just the Terrapin Station portion (excluding Lady With A Fan) during the best show they ever played.

I'm assuming DSO has not performed the full suite but likely have recreated the Winterland show and Pembroke as well.

Studio from Terrapin on? Just way to washed and minimal jamming to move my needle much. Sure u enjoyed yourself tho :)

• Forum MVP

One early morning at Nelson Ledges I was walking around with Rober Hunter's book "Box of Rain" under my arm.  A young elf lady stepped out from her camp site and offered me some oatmeal for breakfast. She noticed the book of songs and asked to look through it. Then she proceeded to sing the complete Terriapin suite of many songs using to book to help her remember all the lyricis.  The magic of little happens like this is what I loved about the Ledges.

Peace and Love,

Doc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

"Her Holy Modal Highness"..."The Weight"..."Mary Ann"..."Together Till the End of Time"

on The Live Adventures of Al Kooper and Mike Bloomfield  ...the follow up album after the fore mentioned Super Session album.

In a world filled with so much sorrow
Every one is thinking of himself
So little time is spent on planning for tomorrow
No one really seems to care
It's so easy to be lost in a land
Where no one wants to help you, no one understands

But we'll hold hands together
And we'll make our plans together
Till the end of time, darling
Till the end of time, my sweet darling

By your side I'll always be
Though things be good or bad
From now until eternity
I'll do anything I can
To make you happy when you're feeling blue
Should you ever have to leave me, I'll be waiting for you

Then we'll hold hands forever
And we'll make our plans together
Till the end of time, darling

I'll make you happy when you're feeling blue
Should you ever have to leave me, I'll be waiting for you

Then we'll hold hands together
Darling for ever and ever, oh
Till the end of time, oh darling
Till the end of time, I know I'm gonna love you for ever and ever
Oh darling, oh darling for ever and ever

I think it was written by Stevie Windwood...circa about 1970

Peace, Love, and "Green Onions" for All.

Doc

• Forum MVP

DSO  at Hampton Beach, June 6th, 2008, doing 11/18/1972  for the last few days in the car and tonight at home with a nice bottle of wine.  I like to play things over and over for a few days. This is one of the "DSO on Demand" disks.  Rob did an excellent job doing the Master Mix.  The preformance seems like a nice smooth evening of beautiful music.  I especially like John's guitar work.

Peace, Love and Good Music for All,

Doc

• Forum MVP

Please excuse me for bringing Chicago Blues to this jam band table...Oh, but I forgot DSO has roots in the Windy City and GD started out playing the blues.

More Michael Boomfield being played here....

The other day I got the CD, "Al Kooper & Mike Bloomfield, Fillmore East, The Lost Concert Tapes, 12/13/68". It's a follow up to the more familar "Live Adventures...".  a bit rougher, The bass and drums are not as solid blues as other shows but Johnny Winter does a long solo with them ( "It's My Own Fault")...this show was just a couple days before Columbia signed Winter for a contract for an outstanding  amount,.. $600,000 in 1968.  Bloomfield was on his usuall outstanding blues guitar rifts...and apparently lasted through the whole time without his "insominia" problem taking him down (actually a bit from the silver spoon was his problem).

And then today I dug into the old vinal with intent to convert more to digital CD disks. I ran across an album I had never listened to. The album orginally belonged to  my wife's first husban, Jerry, who I visited with in Japan for a weekend in mid '80's ...first time I met him...this was a couple years after Bess and I were married. The album cover said "Featuring Mike Bloomfield" with title of "My Labors, Nick Gravenites"  It turns out that 3/4 of the album is recorded Live at Filmore West.   A few players from the Butterfield Blues band, a nice horn section, and John Kahn on bass...who played with Bloomfield on several other gigs. I suspect John had a simular association with Bloomfield as he did with Jerry Garcia.

Tomorrow or maybe tonight after Kentucky takes care of Wisconson, I'll dig down in the basement for some Electric Flag and maybe even find that old copy of Butterfield's "East-West" ...there's lots of Bloomfield buired down there.

Peace, Love, and Good Music from the South Side of Chicago for All,

Doc

Update on Taperrons surgery. He was in surgery of 6 hours. They grafted 4 arteries, they wanted to graft a fifth one but it was in to bad of shape. He is currently in ICU. He is in a lot of pain. His vitals look good. He has asked me to post updates on here and will do so.

Archived