Now Listening...

You Are Here

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Janis with "Summertime" and Donovan with "May As Will Try and Catch the Wind" which the Poet mentioned almost a month ago.... two of my favorite songs....When I was as young as Donovan is in this video this song told the story of our Love at the time... two lives intertwined but seperated by a culture difference...but we did get to see Donovan together one night...

In the chilly hours and minutes

Of uncertainty, I want to be

In the warm hold of your loving mind

To feel you all around me

And to take your hand along the sand

Ah, but I may as well try and catch the wind

When sundown pales the sky

I want to hide a while behind your smile

And everywhere I'd look your eyes I'd find

For me to love you now

Would be the sweetest thing 'twould make me sing

Ah, but I may as well try and catch the wind

• Forum MVP

Janis with "Summertime" and Donovan with "May As Will Try and Catch the Wind" which the Poet mentioned almost a month ago.... two of my favorite songs....When I was as young as Donovan is in this video this song told the story of our Love at the time... two lives intertwined but seperated by a culture difference...but we did get to see Donovan together one night...In the chilly hours and minutesOf uncertainty, I want to beIn the warm hold of your loving mindTo feel you all around meAnd to take your hand along the sandAh, but I may as well try and catch the windWhen sundown pales the skyI want to hide a while behind your smileAnd everywhere I'd look your eyes I'd findFor me to love you nowWould be the sweetest thing 'twould make me singAh, but I may as well try and catch the wind

Beautiful Doc. You're a good spirit pal. Much love to ya.

• Forum MVP

Wear your love like heaven"- Donovan

(a very simple old tradition - . The simple h'oponopono blessing that aloha can bring to heal and bring peace as it is whispered on the wind and danced in the hula. )

that concept is one of the most beautiful legacies the 50s/60s brought out of the storm of change-the consumerism of the 50, the push for conformity, the witch hunts against the "commies" and nuclear holocaust. I devoured John Updike, Charles Reich, Ferlinghetti, Burroughs, Albee, Ralph Ellison, diPrima, Cassidy and Kesey looking for the scene out of which the GD arose. The writers called for a simpler way out of the chaos and beckoned forth the peaceful quiet warrior who holds and sows love with their quiver. The loving way finding still point and making straight the crooked.

The past winter tour reminded me of those songs after Raleigh. I fell back into being 17.

Missed ya Doc !

let's all try to catch the wind when the living is easy..... chase dreams and sleep in the stars.

• Forum MVP

Lord, kiss me once more

Fill me with song

Allah, kiss me once more

That I may, that I may

Wear my love like heaven.. (Wear my love like)

Wear my love like heaven.. (Wear my love)

La-la, la-la-la, la-la-la, la-la-la

Cannot believe what I see

All I have wished for will be

All our race proud and free

Wear your love like heaven.. (Wear your love like)

Wear your love like heaven.. (Wear your love like)

Wear your love like heaven ..(Wear your love)

• Forum MVP

2/2/68 relentless perseverance on riffs in Viola Lee like the needle got stuck on the record - really fun. Different intro on Other One I hadn't heard before. Great show for the dental appointment

"This is the last show with one of the early versions of the Other one lyrics: 'When I woke up this morning, my head was not in sight I would ask the walls about it, but they vanished overnight I could not think or spell my name, or fly there was no way and the heat came round and busted me for smiling on a cloudy day I was skipping through the lilly fields, ' "

• Forum MVP

So after getting Amazon prime I've become slightly addicted to it. I just saw that 30 trips box set for sale as low as 1300.00. If you didn't buy it at 700, you would buy it at 1300? If anyone doesn't use USB for their music I'd buy the flash drive for 60 bucks though ;).

I saw some of the early shows on that box set like the 66 on etree. I'm really curious if the "remaster" really does that much considering someone already likely did that before uploading to etree. I'm guessing there's only so much you can do with really early recordings. Are these 66 shows even multi track recordings? I'd assume they are just recording the board with no way to adjust any levels after the fact if they aren't already set properly. No way a beginning band records each instrument and vocal track separately right? I know those 69 are all multi track recordings but they were also playing to a lot of people by that point.

• Forum MVP

rude,

I don't think anything on 30 Trips is from multi-tracks. That said, the '66 selection sounds shockingly good (you need to get used to Jerry vocals panned hard left while his guitar is hard right, however - I tried summing it to mono but it seemed to lose something and the stereo was preferred)and far better than anything available elsewhere. In fact it sounds beter than some of the early 80s boards!

• Forum MVP

Yeah I just found a copy from it. That 66 sounds great. The 67 is also very solid. I listened to both last night. You can really hear their sound begin to evolve from a surfer rock feel into their own unique style.

• Forum MVP

I just never realized that almost no dead was actually 16 track recordings. The Betty boards were all 2 track recordings. I guess they just had the boards set up so well that you didn't really need to adjust each track to get that amazing sound. Here's an interesting article. I, like the interviewer, always thought that most dead was recorded in with at least a separate track for each instrument. http://www.dead.net/features/interviews/mixing-and-mastering-dead-s-archives-jeffrey-norman

Does Rob record DSO in 16 track? I haven't heard any DSO board that had any levels that seemed off like you get in many dead shows.

• Forum MVP

To me ear, the best sounding Dead recordings are Europe '72 (16 track) and Spring '90 (24 track). Probably no coincidence that both era were relative peaks musically. Interesting though that there are 18 years between the 2.

• Forum MVP

To me ear, the best sounding Dead recordings are Europe '72 (16 track) and Spring '90 (24 track). Probably no coincidence that both era were relative peaks musically. Interesting though that there are 18 years between the 2.

Considering there's no high def video of any dead shows besides those 74 GD movie ones, the 1 or 2 track recordings actually do make sense lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived