Now Listening...

You Are Here

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Jerry with grisman Jan/Feb 1991 , thrill is gone, soundcheck is on utube from the Warfield, Jerry is directing the band, and completely tearing through leads, gets grisman to learn how to play the song, incredible footage that shows how on top Jerry was in 1991, behind the scenes he worked like madman

• Forum MVP

Jerry with grisman Jan/Feb 1991 , thrill is gone, soundcheck is on utube from the Warfield, Jerry is directing the band, and completely tearing through leads, gets grisman to learn how to play the song, incredible footage that shows how on top Jerry was in 1991, behind the scenes he worked like madman

AC thanks so much for that. Daaaamn, I, fucking, loved, that, shit. The bulk of my GD shows were 85-89, with a few a year til 95, so I missed stuff like this. Didn't become a Grisman nut til after Jerry died. He's prob 2nd in live music for me behind GD/DSO. And I've only seen him bout 10 times LOL. I do know that Jerry loved that guy, and it is evident in numbers like that. I would definitely give a toe nail to see those two perform, hell at my age I'd consider a ball.

• Forum MVP

Gonna stay right in this period and do fillmore west and fillmore east shows.  They will add an acoustic segment that they dabbled with some earlier for these shows.  Houston 12/26/69 had acoustic by accident.

• Forum MVP

I listened to Hey litte one. It was good. It didn't move me a ton, but I will listen again. I was catching up with a friend in town for Cheese. Should I listen to the whole show?

Your call. This is early where IMO it was as much Pigs band as it was Jerrys. Has that early 60's twangy, back beat sound with ample Pig blues influence. Hey little one is not psychedelic, it is all about Jerrys voice and the raw emotion he pours out. If it didn't move you, the rest of the show may not either. It's a different sound but show quality is excellent for 66 and I love the whole show.

• Forum MVP

I will listen again. I'd like to do the whole show. Sound was quality. It was 430 am by time it made it on. I was catching up with a buddy he drove 18 hours straight coming in for cheese. Talk about crazy

• Advisory Board

Anything other than Dead and Co.

Sirius XM is renaming the Grateful Dead channel the "Dead and Co. Promotional Outlet hosted by David Gans", check it out. It is replete with gushing fans proclaiming it's the best music ever. Even comparing Mayer to Garcia.

Really people...

Dr. B  B)

Anything other than Dead and Co.

Sirius XM is renaming the Grateful Dead channel the "Dead and Co. Promotional Outlet hosted by David Gans", check it out. It is replete with gushing fans proclaiming it's the best music ever. Even comparing Mayer to Garcia.

Really people...

HaHa, you tell em Dr B

• Forum MVP

Just finished 10-25-89. Jerry is strong throughout. You don't get that kind of playing in spring 90. It's like Jerry started playing safe and was afraid to let his playing go and possibly fail

• Forum MVP

Fall '89 speaks for itself. I will admit that Spring '90 while great, had a few more peaks and valleys when compared the more sustained energy of the Fall.

Jerry was literally desperate to get his Midi locked in and it lent itself to a process of musical re-discovery. If his health remained stable, it blows my mind to think about the heights he could have achieved. There were still some jaw-dropping moments to come but sometimes you never can reach it, it just slips away

• Forum MVP

Brent was on top form too. Jerry and Brent fed each other musically - Mickey had his drumming projects more globally focused and bringing a good energy to the table- , Dafos is just an awesome album- Bob had a commanding presence- and it all made for a happy band where Jerry could bring it.

• 2 weeks later...

If I can add to 89...buffalo..is so great. But if you have the DVD and can see faces... jerry and Brent smiling together at not fade away is something special.hits your heart..wow..love the vibe between them

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Boston 10-1-94 on you tube. This video shows that Jerry still had the "what just happened" leads going on. That whole show is well slayed. I gotta say, as much as the last years are panned by reviewers, I stopped going to as many shows back then because of the stadium deal and being pushed so far away from the band, not because they weren't playing well. It was more of the security hassle that kept me away. DSO and BCE are great because we get the theater experience of a grateful dead show, up close and loud! That final Fire at Deercreek, he played the leads for the whole song, he just didn't sing the last two verses, he was still keeping it going. I think it's sad that people talk about his health being poor instead of commemorating that he was still providing the best music of our times up to the day he passed.

Archived