Now Listening...

You Are Here

• Forum MVP

Been listening tonight to a live stream of the GoldenGate Wingmen playing in Columbus Ohio.   That band sounds so much better than when I heard them a year ago..(but my head wasn't together then 'cause the loss of jamie at the time)   Show tonight was very smooth...lots of jazz..

.Set II jam > Sugaree (JK) She Belongs to Me (JK) The Business (JK) Ring Them Bells (RM) Shakedown Street > (JK) Mercy, Mercy, Mercy (coda) > Page 43 (JK) Touch of Grey (JK),  ...encore After Midnight

Peace, Love, and the best music from many bands in our land,

Doc

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

New music from Bob Weir...nice soft song for this Friday morn.

http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2016/08/18/490226714/raising-the-dead-hear-a-song-from-bob-weirs-first-album-in-a-decade

"...The first track to be released from the album was written in collaboration with Josh Ritter. "Only A River" is an emotional reflection on life that references the 19th-century American folk song "Shenandoah...."

• Forum MVP

New music from Bob Weir...nice soft song for this Friday morn.

http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2016/08/18/490226714/raising-the-dead-hear-a-song-from-bob-weirs-first-album-in-a-decade

"...The first track to be released from the album was written in collaboration with Josh Ritter. "Only A River" is an emotional reflection on life that references the 19th-century American folk song "Shenandoah...."

Kinda Bob's sweet spot wouldna ya say? He's a cowboy ballad sort. Love the harmony and guitar accompaniment. Thanks for the tip Doc. Peace pal.

• Forum MVP

This morning while driving down a little country road I came to a railroad crossing just as the gate was coming down. A very long unit coal train passed a few feet in front of me as “Easy Wind” was playing.  The jam and the coal cars rolling past just fit together perfectly.

• Forum MVP

Lockn' Festival Live feed all this weekend.  There are several connections.  I'm using Roku to "Quello Concerts" with a seven day free trial of Qello.

Last night I caught Phish. Only the second time I've listened to them live. Trey played well but I was not impressed by the whole show. From the reaction of the crowd it appeared the fans at the festival were not fired up.

Very late last night (actually early this morning 1 am to 3)  "Joe Russo's Almost Dead" did an impressive set. I've not heard them before and really enjoyed their jamming. You could see the fans were really bouncing (not so for Phish earlier in the night.)

Tonight (Saturday) I'm looking forward to:

Phil Lesh & Friends – 6:40pm-8:20pm

Tedeschi Trucks Band – 8:20pm-10:20pm

My Morning Jacket– 10:20pm-12:30am

Sunday Keller Williams’ Grateful Gospel with John K. – 10:30am-12:00pm

The Wailers – 2:00pm-3:00pm

Chris Robinson Brotherhood – 3:00pm-4:45pm

Phil Lesh & Friends – 4:45pm-6:15pm

Gary Clark Jr. – 6:15pm-7:30pm

Phish – 8:30pm-12:00am

There's a lot more on the schedule than I've copied here.  I think the live feeds are most all of the day.

Peace and Love,

Doc

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

1/23/70

This Dark Star jam I love. It crashes and then meanders into a very meditative, melodic sweet jam that reminds me of Radiolarians II tracks of MArtin, Modeski and Wood. Quite a lovely suite and I would venture to suggest it may be my favorite.

Uncle John's Band 12/26/1979 Oakland Auditorium, Oakland, CA - Dick's Picks Vol. 5.

Couple of thoughts...

1. Uncle John's Band is a perfect Friday song
  2. Fall '79 is underrated
  3. You're all hedonists
  4. I miss you guys

Been climbing mountains. Will be spending more time doing that over the coming years. That said, this music will forever be a part of my life and I will always be at shows here and there.

13934846_10210442551483788_8111431496395

14192566_10210671262481420_2626342874945

• Forum MVP

Uncle John's Band 12/26/1979 Oakland Auditorium, Oakland, CA - Dick's Picks Vol. 5.

Couple of thoughts...

• Uncle John's Band is a perfect Friday song
  • Fall '79 is underrated
  • You're all hedonists
  • I miss you guys
Been climbing mountains. Will be spending more time doing that over the coming years. That said, this music will forever be a part of my life and I will always be at shows here and there.

13934846_10210442551483788_8111431496395

14192566_10210671262481420_2626342874945

One of the Best sandwiches ever! Totally shredded 2nd set.

Inspiring and breath-taking pics Cosmic! Hope to see you down the road buddy :)

• Forum MVP

7-23-90 World, brentz last, voodoonola, ridiculous pro shot from the stage

Pro shot on VHS......look at the detail.... I tried to google but couldn't find the citation but I remember reading that Bill Graham wasn't a fan of the dead using film for The grateful dead movie. He believed VHS was the future and that was how all Dead shows were recorded until the end. fortunately the important part, audio, was recorded at such a high level. the strange thing was all the shows recorded in black and white into the late 70s.

(now listening to: Hairball Willie  10/28/95 Gunnerz, Iowa City, IA

Just finished: DSO 02/21/2003 New Nita's Hideaway, Tempe, AZ  (Entire show with Vince Welnick (as himself) on his birthday).

GD Setlist from Madison Square Garden 09/20/1990 

Set One:
Feel Like A Stranger; Althea; All Over Now; Ramble On Rose; El Paso; Brown Eyed Women; Greatest Story Ever Told; U. S. Blues

Set Two:
Truckin-> China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider->Man Smart (Woman Smarter)-> Drumz->Space > Dark Star-> Playin in the Band Reprise-> Dark Star-> Throwing Stones-> Touch of Grey

Encore:
Turn On Your Love Light

Filler:
Crowd sings Happy Birthday to Vince
Way To Go Home-> Tomorrow Never Knows-> Way To Go Home; Brokedown Palace

• Forum MVP

(now listening to: Hairball Willie 10/28/95 Gunnerz, Iowa City, IA

Just finished: DSO 02/21/2003 New Nita's Hideaway, Tempe, AZ (Entire show with Vince Welnick (as himself) on his birthday).

GD Setlist from Madison Square Garden 09/20/1990

Set One:

Feel Like A Stranger; Althea; All Over Now; Ramble On Rose; El Paso; Brown Eyed Women; Greatest Story Ever Told; U. S. Blues

Set Two:

Truckin-> China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider->Man Smart (Woman Smarter)-> Drumz->Space > Dark Star-> Playin in the Band Reprise-> Dark Star-> Throwing Stones-> Touch of Grey

Encore:

Turn On Your Love Light

Filler:

Crowd sings Happy Birthday to Vince

Way To Go Home-> Tomorrow Never Knows-> Way To Go Home; Brokedown Palace

That's cool --I never knew Vince did a show with DSO

Vince did five shows with DSO:

2001-08-11 DSJ-WI Merrimac, WI  Elective Setlist

2001-11-23 4th and B, San Diego, CA   JGB Setlist  Vince Welnick as Jimmy Warren

2001-11-24 El Rey Theatre, Los Angeles. CA    JGB Style Elective (before the show Vince was out front talking to people and telling what was being played that night)

2002-08-06 Martyrs', Chicago IL    Vince sat in on They Love Each Other, Way To Go Home, Nobody Told Me-> Train To Cry*

2003-02-21 New Nita's Hideaway, Tempe, AZ

Hey Matt,  Does your copy of 11/23 have low levels to start set 1 and cut-off the end of the last song (Brothers & Sisters)?  I don't remember any other tapers at those shows.

Did you go to any other California shows on that tour?  I did all From Chico, CA (smallest crowd I have ever seen, maybe 20 people) south to San Diego.  The July shows I did The Bay area to Las Vegas

• Forum MVP

That July '01 show was my first DSO experience (it was a bit warm at the Sun Coast that evening) and the travel bug started setting in shortly thereafter. Spending a nice weekend that November in SoCal seemed like the thing to do. So, it was my first time at the El Rey but not my last. At that point I didn't know anybody really, but somewhere along the way I met Brett and Alysha. I made that New Nita's show too, and the next night was here in LV. Several of us even saw Vince at what was likely one of his last shows, playing here with Cubensis about a month before he passed. RIP...

Archived