Sign in to follow this  
You Are Here

Now Listening...

11-2-85 Dew

Doc's comment made me think back to when the sign at the start of this thread came about at Flashback Fest at the Ledges, I think in 06'. Hard to believe that was 10 years ago. I was so much older then...

Flashback Fest '06, I remember quite well...what I want to know, where does the time go?

More Fall '79...Franklin's Tower 11/9 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium - Buffalo, NY -- a Hampton sized arena--the perfect size...demolished in 2009, but the Dead sure did play some ragers there while she was still standing.

Jimi Hendrix,  July 4th 1970,  at the Atlanta Pop Festival (the Byron Festival as we called it).  The dvd “Electric Church” arrived yesterday. It has Jimi’s performance that night and a lot of interesting history from Georgia in the late sixties.  One quick scene has my old van, "Marrakesh Express", and our campsite in the pecan grove.  I wish I could see my friend Len. who said he was filmed hawking his bags of herb like a beer vendor at a baseball game. Most of my memory of that week is fogged by the Purple Haze sent to us from the Bear on the west coast but I do remember laying flat on my back watching the fireworks go off in the sky while Jimi was playing The Star Spangled Banner. 

Dick's Picks 29 5/19/1977; it has been a while since I have listened to this release...forgot how good it is. Just finished the Sugaree. Although I like listening to many years of the Dead, 77 I have always felt is special in that Jerry took his solos to whole new levels that year. He was relentless and daring.

Just finished hiking across Bryce Canyon this weekend. The more I see, the more I realize there is so much left unfinished in my life.

The more I see, the more I realize there is so much left unfinished in my life.

Umm aren't you only like 5 years removed from college?  I hope you wouldn't think you have finished everything in your life in your mid 20's.

Iko

Bobby McGee

10-13-68

Dark Star>

St. Stephen>

Eleven>

Death Don't

My commute this morning on the GD channel, I know it's going to be a good day!

7-7-87 Roanoke, VA. A show I'm proud to say I attended, cause it is fucking good. Duprees, big river, let it grow, scarlet, fire, estimated. All killer late 80s versions I got to share with maybe 3-5k. Car broke down hard on the interstate on the way there, and I left it to make the shows. Totally blown trans. Sold it to the gas station for $50. Handed it to my buddy for gas money to drive me back there from college. Ahhhhh, those were the days.

I believe we caught a Comes A Time in Roanoke for that 8/7 & 8/8 '87 series. Wasn't going to miss that pair on the tour that summer. The Wonderland show on 6/30/87 bears an incredible scarlet/fire ( whole show is packed with crossing the border tunes. I lost a transmission going to see Jerry in Reno February 21, 1987, so I can appreciate the "all in" that was happening then. I mean , it was Jerry's come back year, a year earlier we were lamenting his coma status and he laid out a whole lotta music ,in 1987, brought in the Black Mountain Boys, but those Roanoke shows were tops, high energy going indoors during the summer. You're right, it was a smaller 5-8000 seater (closer to the band for everyone)

Happy bday bob, show was cool. Def different with the country stuff and very slow tempo all around. If I was there I probably would've have got antsy waiting for it to pick up. But i did wanna go tonight but tix prices got outta control

"The Promised Land"

"Sugaree" >"El Paso"

"Peggy-O"

"Looks Like Rain"

"Row Jimmy"

"Passenger"

"Loser"

"Dancing in the Streets

"Samson and Delilah"

"Ramble on Rose"

"Estimated Prophet"

"Not Fade Away" >"Wharf Rat" >"Around and Around"

First set plus bonus tracks from 10/11/77

Dick’s picks 29,   5/19/77   Fox Theater, Atlanta

Abby Cat sat in front of the speakers until I gave her some catnip and then she rolled around on the floor.

"The Promised Land"

"Sugaree" >"El Paso"

"Peggy-O"

"Looks Like Rain"

"Row Jimmy"

"Passenger"

"Loser"

"Dancing in the Streets

"Samson and Delilah"

"Ramble on Rose"

"Estimated Prophet"

"Not Fade Away" >"Wharf Rat" >"Around and Around"

First set plus bonus tracks from 10/11/77

Dick’s picks 29,   5/19/77   Fox Theater, Atlanta

Abby Cat sat in front of the speakers until I gave her some catnip and then she rolled around on the floor.

My cat Mia goes to the speaker focal point and lays down facing the speakers when I put Dead on.  I think she has heard so much since she was a kitten that it relaxes her even at high volumes.  My stray who Ive had 1 year, Stella, will bolt from the room and go into hiding when I jam Dead.  She's not a fan.

You Are What You Is, FZ

Fyi, FZ's son Dweezil is doing a great job carrying on his fathers legacy. His Zappa Plays Zappa tours are top notch and he plays with a group of great musicians, and Dweezil himself can certainly handle his fathers licks. Had the pleasure of seeing them in Cleveland a couple years ago, real fun show. Now Dweezils doing a tour called "Dweezil Zappa plays whatever the hell he wants." If you get the opportunity and have the time, treat yourself to a great show.

Just saw Ike Willis with din Preston and project object.. there's a great 1978 show and others on YouTube. When Zappa played Cleveland in November of 1984 he played at "the front row" in the round. Those 84 shows were really good. "Does Humor Belong In Music" video, has some songs from the pier in NYC. Besides all that ....you just got drafted, (when life and live have left you shafted)

I heard DSO on Pandora at the office from 2008 playing ack Straw. I thought what a minute I know that voice ! And sure enough. What a nice surprise.