Now Listening...

You Are Here

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been on a So Many Roads kick lately...

Listening specifically to the So Many Roads from 6-18-1992 - Richfield Colliseum a lot over the past week.

Jerry belts out some "ease my souls" at around 5:40 and I cannot think of any specific performances where he belted out lines with more purpose than this. An obvious statement that the song meant a lot to him and it was going to mean a lot to us too, if he had anything to say about it.

I'm certain I've heard Jerry hooting at the top of his lungs to this magnitude before, but specifics escape me at the moment.  Suggestions are welcome...

• Forum MVP

Here's a few from same Era:

8/1/94 - Stella Blue. His guitar wasn't really shining but he tried to make up for it

3/20/92 - SOTM. Great vocal flurry at the end.

Other than the infamous US Blues from 4/12/78, I would think more than a few morning dews might fit in this category

I've been on a So Many Roads kick lately...

Listening specifically to the So Many Roads from 6-18-1992 - Richfield Colliseum a lot over the past week.

Was listening to 6/25/92 Soldier Field last night playing some yhatzee...The Wheel>So many Roads = Good Stuff!!

• Forum MVP

but the Joe Louis that followed hits an unusual high mark

HA!  4/11/88 was my first show  :headbang:

Probably a strange place for my first indoctrination.  What's more, I wasn't asked if I wanted to go to the Dead show - I was told I was going to the Dead show.  OK.  The scene freaked me out frankly.  I had heard about it but it was nothing like I pictured.  The Deadheads were way crazier than I thought, and the band barely moved through the whole performance!  I was like - WTF?!?  I thought these guys would be a whole lot more lively.  That Bobby guy gyrated a bit but that was it.

2 days later at the Rosemont was when the curtain REALLY got pulled back - smoking-crater stuff.  It really started in Chicago.  

DStone was kind enough to give me copies of 4/15 that were outta this world - unbelievable sound!  Anyone heard from David?

Thanks for the trip down memory lane  B)

• Forum MVP

No Garcia ballad 4/15/88. But the perhaps the Scarlet>Fire to open the show helped atone for that. 

What's more, I wasn't asked if I wanted to go to the Dead show - I was told I was going to the Dead show.  OK.  The scene freaked me out frankly.  I had heard about it but it was nothing like I pictured.  The Deadheads were way crazier than I thought, and the band barely moved through the whole performance!

That exactly what happened to me although it was Syracuse 10/20/84.  My prep school educated (a breeding ground for many a Northeast Head) freshman year dorm mates dragged me along.  And the band may have moved even less than they did Spring '88, especially the Fat Man.

• Forum MVP

That's hilarious, I was at that Carrier Dome, in the upper sections, thinking "all they have for a light show was this little red outline of the band". Syracuse was decked out serious dead. 10 hr drive from cincy for one more Sat night ( which they didn't play) so much for guessing setlists at your 4th show.

• Forum MVP

John K solo show latter tonight (Tuesday 12/20 and also Wednesday).    I'm going to do the source for the live stream on Mixlr.  First time I've done that...hope I don't mess up.   look for stream as "DocWats"  or something like that.

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Forum MVP

Nightfall of Diamonds

10/16/1989

https://archive.org/details/gd89-10-16.dsbd.barrick.446.sbeok.shnf

Top 5 show for me. The heartbreak of getting shut out of the Hampton shows was turned into pure ecstasy. While the venue left very much to be desired, the energy in that barn was like nothing I had ever experienced up to that point - It literally crackled and popped. It had a sweet aggression to it and with so much anticipation, it felt like being in the starting gate at the Kentucky Derby right before the gates fly open.

Being stardust and golden, many days and years were spent getting ourselves back to the garden (no, not Boston or MSG :) ).

Happy Holidaze to everyone!

• Forum MVP

I just listened to these 30 trips.

The 2-21-95 and 10-1-94 shows and they aren't bad. I actually like them. Sound quality top notch and the 94 show has my fav so many roads even though Jerry forgets some lyrics. He hums them at least

Archived