Now Listening...

You Are Here

Didn't realize there was such lore surrounding this show.  Your right it is Keith's first show!!!!    Did not realize that.  I'd like to get smarter on the Keith Godchaux decision to play piano exclusively and how the band reacted to that in the early days.  Obviously Keith had been jamming with them though with the rehearsals of all these new piano-centric tunes.

Anybody know the last show Keith played organ?  Did he smash it onstage Pete Townsend style?

Few extra lyrics in that Comes a Time.  Jerry hitting high notes.  Like for real.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

It's interesting to look at that 3rd verse from Comes A Time.  It's good, and it fits into the pathos of the song, but you can see why it didn't survive.  It's not as good as the two verses that Jerry kept, and it's hard to argue that the song isn't perfect with the two remaining verses and structure.

10-9-89 is my favorite Music Never Stopped (currently).  Jerry's guitar work on the intro is technically stellar. 

Love the Death Don't Have No Mercy>Mr Fantasy>Hey Jude Reprise in this show.... when you hear me talk of really wanting to hear DSO do this, it is this show that inspires those desires.

The Warlocks shows!  The show from the night before is really good too.  Listening to the crowd's reaction when the band busts out Help>Slip>Frank for the first time in 6 years is pretty cool.  How does a song suite like that get shelved?  Mysterious.

• Forum MVP

Right now listening to GDTRFB off Skullfuck album. Ironically, it is part of soundtrack for DVD called FUEL I am showing while teaching an AP Environmental Science high school class. The irony is I am (was) in the oil and gas business and am disputing facts on the video and of course... somehow know this song!....students caught me... moving my feet now cause...

• Forum MVP
On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 10:14 AM, jj3down said:

10-9-89 is my favorite Music Never Stopped (currently).  Jerry's guitar work on the intro is technically stellar. 

Love the Death Don't Have No Mercy>Mr Fantasy>Hey Jude Reprise in this show.... when you hear me talk of really wanting to hear DSO do this, it is this show that inspires those desires.

The Warlocks shows!  The show from the night before is really good too.  Listening to the crowd's reaction when the band busts out Help>Slip>Frank for the first time in 6 years is pretty cool.  How does a song suite like that get shelved?  Mysterious.

On the shelf collecting dust, not knowing what it means...many tunes went through that cycle

• Forum MVP

2-18-71, and 2-19-71 were on the docket tonite for some basement work. A dark star on 2-18 where every one of Jerrys notes were a segue between the last and the next. A smokestack on 2-19 exemplifying why Pig was the heart of this band during this era. Enjoy if you have the time. 

On 2/10/2017 at 1:43 PM, Tea for Texas said:

Well, well - Look what I found!

https://archive.org/details/DSO_2009_02_14_Shoreline_Ballroom_Hilton_Head_SC/01_viola_lee_blues.mp3

While poking around for the 'Best DSO Ever' I found one of my favorite DSO shows ever.... 

is that archives best DSO ever? 

• Forum MVP
On 1/24/2017 at 10:24 PM, John A said:

It's interesting to look at that 3rd verse from Comes A Time.  It's good, and it fits into the pathos of the song, but you can see why it didn't survive.  It's not as good as the two verses that Jerry kept, and it's hard to argue that the song isn't perfect with the two remaining verses and structure.

For me, I love the full version with all verse intact. It really brings the song home in my heart as I was ungrateful piece of shit child that spoke in manners of which no child should ever speak to his mom or dad. Afterwards I usually apologized and had to live with what I said. I find this true in a lot of arguments in a lot of walks of life. Eventually the argument may turn personal in my turn ugly and if friends, you'll have to move forward knowing what was said and standing behind your words. I cried the first time I heard the extra verse. 

On 2/8/2017 at 8:28 PM, MidnightCarouselRider said:

I give you the best so many roads ever....5/31/92....pristine. 

I will give it a listen. I'm interested in analyzing the evolution of this song a bit.  Please do listen to the version from 6-8-92 Richfield Coliseum.  Jerry really goes off at the end.

Never understood why so much credence was given to the 7-9-95 version though?  Always thought it was pretty average at best.

John A...

Thank you very much for the hospitality in the Bay Area!  You have a beautiful home and I had a great time discussing music and more.  It is so cool and we are so fortunate that the GD, DSO, and the scene that surrounds it allows opportunities for us to make connections and friendships that would otherwise be unlikely.

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand...  or in this case, strangers hanging with strangers, drinking wine, and jamming tunes!  Thanks again!  Until next time...

• Forum MVP
4 hours ago, jj3down said:

John A...

Thank you very much for the hospitality in the Bay Area!  You have a beautiful home and I had a great time discussing music and more.  It is so cool and we are so fortunate that the GD, DSO, and the scene that surrounds it allows opportunities for us to make connections and friendships that would otherwise be unlikely.

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand...  or in this case, strangers hanging with strangers, drinking wine, and jamming tunes!  Thanks again!  Until next time...

JJ,

It was a pleasure having you guys come by.  I'm just lamenting that we didn't leave a little more time for the big stereo.  Too much chatting away!  I wanted to play a real dose of vinyl, and with the time crunch I had to go too heavy too soon on the Garcia ballads.  At least that's not the worst problem to have. 

And thanks for your parting gift - superb!

Archived