Now Listening...

You Are Here

1 hour ago, John A said:

It was a pleasure having you guys come by.  I'm just lamenting that we didn't leave a little more time for the big stereo.  Too much chatting away!  I wanted to play a real dose of vinyl, and with the time crunch I had to go too heavy too soon on the Garcia ballads.  At least that's not the worst problem to have.

I'm sure The Other One kicks ass out of that monster, but in a time crunch, I'd go with the Jerry ballads too.  I was about to request So Many Roads myself.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Thanks for this Doc!

Check out the China Cat from this show - notably, the transition to IKYR.   It was one of the freseher ones that Jerry played amongst a formulaic backdrop.  It has a different arc than what I became 'used' to.  Some say it's just the Midi - I disagree - what do you think?

https://archive.org/details/gd90-06-16.sbd.ladner.8571.sbeok.shnf/gd90-06-16d2t01.shn

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2017 at 7:30 PM, Tea for Texas said:

Thanks for this Doc!

Check out the China Cat from this show - notably, the transition to IKYR.   It was one of the freseher ones that Jerry played amongst a formulaic backdrop.  It has a different arc than what I became 'used' to.  Some say it's just the Midi - I disagree - what do you think?

https://archive.org/details/gd90-06-16.sbd.ladner.8571.sbeok.shnf/gd90-06-16d2t01.shn

nice! kind of a combo of freshness + midi witch found me smiling cause I always crave the transition these two and scar fire. 

• Forum MVP

We caught the David Grisman Bluegrass Experience last night in Asheville. The whole evening was a real treat for bluegrass fans.

Opening act was Circus No 9 with one hell of a banjo player, Matthew Davis. It was obvious he was talented and I guess being the 2016 National Banjo champ come to find out kinda underscores it. His finger work was like white lightning. Nice band - a beautiful instrumental written by Davis. I believe it is called " Shenandoah Sundown.

Grisman's group was unplugged. The first half consisted of songs from Muddy Roads album; they played the title track along with The Lone Pilgrim and Walkin Boss- this one I liked. He also wrote a song honoring Native Americans I believe called Standing Rock. It was interesting. The second half was a nod to traditional bluegrass roots with historical perspectives- a Carter Family song, some Doc Watson, a Monroe Brothers duet, a Bill Monroe and Bluegrass Boys number. Bobby Hicks was a special guest- his style of violin compared to the touring David Grisman fiddler was bluesy. Hicks' fiddle sang long notes with his long strung bow.  The crowd was very honoring, although as the night progressed the crowd became a little more animated I guess as the alcohol loosened tongues.

We left early to come home to be with family. We lost our family dog of 17 years on Friday. I had hoped to hear Shady Grove but I am not complaining. It was a great evening of music

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2017 at 4:30 PM, Tea for Texas said:

I wanted a Phil-Heavy show so I'm dialing up 8/14/1971

http://relisten.net/grateful-dead/1971/8/14/bertha

Off we go!!!!

Took this suggestion last night and it didn't disappoint.  The Hard to Handle is the goods.  Was that a named Jam they find themselves in during the Other One?  It sounded so distinct and structured that it's hard to believe it was all improve?

Killer show.  Jerry really was an absolute madman on guitar for a majority of his career.

• Forum MVP

Birdwings By Rumi

Your grief for what you’ve lost lifts a mirror
up to where you are bravely working.

Expecting the worst, you look, and instead,
here’s the joyful face you’ve been wanting to see.

Your hand opens and closes and opens and closes.
If it were always a fist or always stretched open,
you would be paralysed.

Your deepest presence is in every small contracting and expanding,
the two as beautifully balanced and coordinated as birdwings.

• Forum MVP

Listened to 4/7/78 Pembroke Pines today- good show. 

So in reviewing this pule, a prayer hula,  created for a hula student going to Afghanistan- my kumu shared it is the same meter and tones as another I know named Ka Wai Lehua. Seems that A fella heard it on the radio and fell in love with the song. He listened to it over and over. The interesting thing is his stage four cancer went into remission. Music is powerful and heals. 

I danced the pule for the Syrians last night. 

• Forum MVP

Music therapy has been shown to have an incredible effect on those suffering from depression. When you listen to good music, your brain reacts to the experience in the same way it would react to pleasures such as an orgasm. t tells the body that it’s a good thing and sends out happy hormones that help the body relax and lift your mood.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Santana 8-18-70. Can't post the youtube link here, but I highly recommend checking this show out. This was part of a summer series at Tanglewood that Bill Graham put on that included shows by Chicago, Miles Davis (same night as Santana I believe) and the Who. Anyone know if the Dead had a chance to play in this series?

Archived