Now Listening...

You Are Here

• Forum MVP

Awesome... listening to Shoreline version first. This recording is absolutely incredible... Is Charlie Miller a famous taper?

I had heard that too about Mr. Miller :lol:

Wow...The Shoreline version of DR is just pristine. This one will be looped until I puke and then looped some more. That whole show gives me the goosebumps.

I also just got through the Kaiser 86 version and am blown away by this one too. There is just a ton of heart that shinin through! Kaiser 88 is next and I can't hardly wait.

Thanks for the great recommendations! :D

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Awesome... listening to Shoreline version first. This recording is absolutely incredible... Is Charlie Miller a famous taper?

Miller taped some shows but he is really known for the millions of shows he's 'liberated' by his transfers and remastering. There are some shows, like 1/15/79 Springfield that none of us had owned boards of, but mostly, his remasters are all about upgrades, like his not too long ago 10/10/82 offering as well as master auds.

People like Eaton or Joni Walker & Paul Sotton will give him a DAT and Miller will do what he does and give it to the world via the Internet.

He works for Steve Kimock as a recording engineer I think and does his many hours of labor for us during his fee time.

He definitely has a special place in heaven reserved because his work has most assuredly improved the quality of many a life.

Thanks for the great recommendations! :D

My pleasure.

Those are some of the versions of that song which have held a very dear place in my heart for a long time and it makes me happy to know others are making a place for them in theirs.

Very happy. :)

• Forum MVP

Of course! I'm here to learn from the Masters! I'm a student, literally...

This show has inspired me to delve into the 80's... my understanding of the subtleties and nuances of the music played in '65 to '79 is expansive however, I've yet to truly immerse myself in '80 to '89. For example, I never would have been able to appreciate this Desolation Row as much as I have if it wasn't located for me.

DStone, going to listen to the Alpine shows you mailed me last year to get started...

• Forum MVP

This show has inspired me to delve into the 80's... my understanding of the subtleties and nuances of the music played in '65 to '79 is expansive however, I've yet to truly immerse myself in '80 '89. For example, I never would have been able to appreciate this Desolation Row as much as I have if it wasn't located for me.

DStone, going to listen to the Alpine shows you mailed me last year to get started...

Alpine 88 and Alpine 89 are great shows. Jerry has a lyrical flub in built to last in 89 at alpine.

Guest Lisacat

This show has inspired me to delve into the 80's... my understanding of the subtleties and nuances of the music played in '65 to '79 is expansive however, I've yet to truly immerse myself in '80 '89. For example, I never would have been able to appreciate this Desolation Row as much as I have if it wasn't located for me.

I am no walking deadbase like Stone, or have even listened to a quarter of the Dead that many people on here have...... but 89 happens to be one of my favorite years- so if you haven't listened to Shoreline 9-29- 89, do so (first Death Don't in 19 years.....my favorite 80's show), and of course the famous Warlock shows 8-9 OCT 89. I'm pretty sure those are must-haves, or at least 80's GD 101.

• Forum MVP

I am no walking deadbase like Stone, or have even listened to a quarter of the Dead that many people on here have...... but 89 happens to be one of my favorite years- so if you haven't listened to Shoreline 9-29- 89, do so (first Death Don't in 19 years.....my favorite 80's show), and of course the famous Warlock shows 8-9 OCT 89. I'm pretty sure those are must-haves, or at least 80's GD 101.

here is 9-29-1989

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1989-09-29.sbd.walker-scotton.miller.81704.sbeok.flac16

This stays in the rotation all the time.

10-8-89

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1989-10-08.sbd.walker-scotton.miller.81532.sbeok.flac16

I haven't listened to that one in what seems like forever. Maybe tomorrow.

10-9-89

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1989-10-09.mtx.dan.26236.sbeok.shnf

This is the matrix recording. Some probably prefer the board but I like the feel of the audience in combination with the board found in this recording.

Enjoy

Guest Lisacat

here is 9-29-1989

http://www.archive.o...04.sbeok.flac16

This stays in the rotation all the time.

In fact I think I'll listen to this one today at work. Its one of those shows where just within the opening notes, you can tell the band is firing on all cylinders and the band and crowd were completely in sync. (And that is just a guess...I'm sure several of you were there). This show is all about Brent to me....his playing and singing are top-notch.

I actually had a debate about the Death Don't over the weekend too....IMO this is the best Death Don't out of the 4 they played later on. Some say the Warlocks was better but Jerry almost embodies Jimmy Hendrix this night....huge jam and then my favorite moment during the whole song is after Brent's verse he lets out this wahooooooo.....

Would love to dance to this sometime....hmmmmmmm.

• Forum MVP

I actually had a debate about the Death Don't over the weekend too....IMO this is the best Death Don't out of the 4 they played later on. Some say the Warlocks was better but Jerry almost embodies Jimmy Hendrix this night....huge jam and then my favorite moment during the whole song is after Brent's verse he lets out this wahooooooo.....

Would love to dance to this sometime....hmmmmmmm.

No, you are correct. Anyone who knows which way is up understands that the Shoreline Death was the best of the bunch, even if it wasn't their personal favorite. The Hampton and the Spectrum are also considered 'epic' but this Shoreline verson is known for the Garcia solo, which is actually one of the best leads in the history of the Grateful Dead, whether you are talking about 1968 or1972 or 1974 or 1978 or whatever.

It was so powerful, that even you wouldn't have been able to dance during it :)... you wouldn't have been able to move towards the end of it is my guess (hard to believe I'm sure...but take my word).

It's funny because for this breakout of the Death, there was an immediate groan from most people who knew the history of this music when Bob took that second verse. Garcia, having taken the vocals on those cataclysmic renditions of this song in ’68 and '69 became the reason for the coining of the word 'epic' in the first place (for all you English majors out there). However, it took me to the second line in Weir's verse to let go of that sadness (others who were much more old school than me, maybe not so much), and by the time Brent uttered the phrase "death will leave you" to lead off his verse (which came immediately following the paralyzing Garcia solo), my knees buckled, along with the rest of me.

Something about the way Brent sang that sent chills throughout that amphitheatre and it was clear in that moment for the modern day Death Don't Have No Mercy...that this was a brave new world.

It's a shame they didn't try to do it again in the summer of '90. Weir and Brent switched verses at Omni and it just didn't have the spook that Neil talks about.

This show was good...not insane and not in the very top shows of this year, in my opinion. Really good first set but second set has some technichal problems (they all left the stage) and it didn't really get going until the post space.

Guest Lisacat

This show was good...not insane and not in the top shows of this year, in my opinion. Really good first set but second set has some technichal problems and it didn't really get going until the Death.

I agree about the second set. But love the China>rider and blow away, though not the best blow away IMO. The Death Don't sells it for me.

and as far as the dancing paralysis during the solo- you are definitely right (I know what happens when I listen to it while sitting at work). I probably would have been on the floor crunched over my knees- that seems to be the safe spot during intense moments aside from actually wanting to be rolling around on the floor but somehow that doesn't seem too appropriate in a music venue.

I call it my favorite 80's just because of the Death, but I have to say I probably shouldn't be calling any show my favorite show considering there is soooo much out there I've never listened to. I'd love to know what your top 10 must listen-to shows are .

• Forum MVP

I call it my favorite 80's just because of the Death, but I have to say I probably shouldn't be calling any show my favorite show considering there is soooo much out there I've never listened to. I'd love to know what your top 10 must listen-to shows are .

No, that's not true, it's all subjective. That's not what I meant to do when I shared how I compare this show (it's obviously a special one for me).

First set is one of those 'perfect' ones and the Death is what some people think of as the last out of body moment from this band so, yes it IS a fact that this is the best modern day Death but it's also MORE than valid for you to call this one of your favorite shows :)

Personally, I got off on second set Blow Aways to the point where I felt close to seizuring.

Having that song in the second set was as good as it got, for me.

Guest Lisacat

No, that's not true, it's all subjective. That's not what I meant to do when I shared how I compare this show (it's obviously a special one for me).

First set is one of those 'perfect' ones and the Death is what some people think of as the last out of body moment from this band so, yes it IS a fact that this is the best modern day Death but it's also MORE than valid for you to call this one of your favorite shows smile.gif

Personally, I got off on second set Blow Aways to the point where I felt close to seizuring.

Having that song in the second set was as good as it got, for me.

Its all good....I asked you that because I always sit here at work wondering what show to listen to but get lost in the archives! I usually go to whatever year I want, sort for highest rating, then pick the Charlie Miller recording. I dunno just seems like that will get me some good stuff. But I find myself listening to the same shows over and over again.

I can't remember what my favorite Blow Away is- but I feel like there is one or two out there that I liked better than this one.....but give me a blow away any day in any format and I'll take it! My favorite Brent tune. for today.

Also, your avatar pics are one of the best things about this board.

Lisa, you are like a professional animal photojournalist!

ha! THey aren't my pics or even my kitties smile.gif I search the internet for the kitty pics- (they usually are a reflection of my mood ....note the sleepy snuggly kitty....after 10 shows thats all I want to do).

And to be honest, I'm actually more of a dog person! (I believe we've talked about this before!). I have 3 puppies back east at my parents and I miss them sad.gif

• Forum MVP

Its all good....I asked you that because I always sit here at work wondering what show to listen to but get lost in the archives! I usually go to whatever year I want, sort for highest rating, then pick the Charlie Miller recording. I dunno just seems like that will get me some good stuff. But I find myself listening to the same shows over and over again.

Next time you're in that posisiton, start here in the year1988. Listen to this second set and let me know when you're done.

Rochester '88.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd88-06-30.sbd.set2.dodd.19530.sbeok.shnf

• Forum MVP

Right now The Weather Channel, featuring Your Forecast on the 8s and Doppler radar. The highlight of the second set in several hours will be the stunning Valley of Fire.

Chuck, that sounds SICK. Do you have it in flac format cuz I can't take those noisy mp3s <_<

Guest Lisacat

Next time you're in that posisiton, start here in the year1988. Listen to this second set and let me know when you're done.

Rochester '88.

http://www.archive.o...9530.sbeok.shnf

so listened to this while doing all the tour laundry this morning.....sweet believe it or not and that is one scary other one....

now we're onto 10-22-78. Of course one I've listened to many times before. One of my favorite NFA (and that is difficult to say because there are so many of them and they become quite redundant.... this one stands out, as well as the classic 6-10-73 of course)

• Forum MVP

so listened to this while doing all the tour laundry this morning.....sweet believe it or not and that is one scary other one....

now we're onto 10-22-78. Of course one I've listened to many times before. One of my favorite NFA (and that is difficult to say because there are so many of them and they become quite redundant.... this one stands out, as well as the classic 6-10-73 of course)

Okay..since you liked that Other One (and appreciate the genius that is Brent Mydland), next time you need something new, try the second set to this one.

And make sure you are not operating heavy machinery about the time the Wheel comes to a close......seriously...hang on to yourself.

Civic Center '83

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1983-12-28.sbd.walker-scotton.miller.96172.sbeok.flac16

• Forum MVP

Spending a few late night hours (only 10pm here on the left coast) putting my CDs back in the right sleeve jacket, case, etc.... goodness what a project ... tonight is phase #1

got some different stuff in the 5 disc changer...

1. Boombox

2. Police - live 79 Boston

3. Dire Straits - live Germany 79

4.Dylan - live 73

5. Dark Star - New Years Eve 2006

• Forum MVP

After the Local Forecast reprise on TWC, it is time for the sounds of silence hiking at the desert oasis of Chinaman's Ranch date farm.

I'm not technically proficient enough to upload these monster offerings (surprise) but will be glad to do old school B and P. Just let me know, and I promise quick turnaround...

Archived