"bands I'm Just 'meh'/ambivalent Toward..."

sarahsmile

• Forum MVP

Hmmm...guess I brought it up, so:

1. Pearl Jam - phenomenal musicians, some of their music I believe is as good as it gets, some just "meh"

2. Fleetwood Mac - again, incredible talent with some serious work, but overladen with popitude

3. The Cars - well crafted and clever with some great 80s hooks...see how the reunion works out for them.

And the Stones are gearing up for a 50th anniversary "final" tour. What I want to know is, where does the time go?

• Forum MVP

Hmmm...guess I brought it up, so:

1. Pearl Jam - phenomenal musicians, some of their music I believe is as good as it gets, some just "meh"

2. Fleetwood Mac - again, incredible talent with some serious work, but overladen with popitude

3. The Cars - well crafted and clever with some great 80s hooks...see how the reunion works out for them.

And the Stones are gearing up for a 50th anniversary "final" tour. What I want to know is, where does the time go?

Chuck, in my opinion each of the 3 bands that you mentioned share a common characteristic........they are each essentially one-album wonders.

Pearl Jam - Ten

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

The Cars - The Cars

I actually really like each of these albums......I would consider them classics (yes, even the Cars). Everything that followed, for each of these bands, paled in comparison. Fleetwood Mac's early stuff (pre-Stevie) was so different.......hard driving blues/rock.......pretty cool.

Again, my .02

• Forum MVP

Chuck, in my opinion each of the 3 bands that you mentioned share a common characteristic........they are each essentially one-album wonders.

Pearl Jam - Ten

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

The Cars - The Cars

I actually really like each of these albums......I would consider them classics (yes, even the Cars). Everything that followed, for each of these bands, paled in comparison. Fleetwood Mac's early stuff (pre-Stevie) was so different.......hard driving blues/rock.......pretty cool.

Again, my .02

Good point...about each of those albums, and about Mac in particular.

Pearl Jam certainly has the courage of their collective convictions (I remember Vetter showing the "K" on his shirt in the '94 SNL show, and their tilting at Ticketbastard). Their release of their shows as band-produced SBDs is a testament to their faith in their fans.

The Cars were a great blend of 70s New Wave evolving into 80s intelligent dance pop. I liked their videos too...

As for Mac, I think "Oh Well" is genius. What can you say about a band with three original members from the Bluesbreakers? Then Peter Green left...

Archived