*-O.o~:the Schwag:~O.o-*

Pugdog

Hey now...

Here's a link to a front porch Sunday acoustic show I recorded at Schwagstock 44 last month. I also have SBDs of JGB Friday night and both Schwag shows (FRI & SAT) featuring DSO members (former and present) Mike Maraat (rhythm/vocals) and Dino (drums). Mike's vocals are on point...he flubbed the words worse than bobby at the Nokia but the timbre of his voice sounded just exactly perfect.

http://www.archive.org/details/schwag2010-07-25

Check out "Walkin' Blues"...Oh...and "Folsom Prison Blues" (aside from the big river false start it's a nugget...esp Jaik Willis's beatbox groove :icon14: )

The acoustic bass sounds tasty.

I still have to edit the JGB and Schwag shows...they'll be up shortly. The acoustic show is an AUD (but very listenable), the others are SBDs.

On Saturday night Stu made the dew fall...hard.

They played the rain out of the sky and right when Morning Dew ended the rain just STOPPED....It was one of "those" moments. :rolleyes: The rain ebbed and flowed in perfect synchronicity that show...it began with our very own Dino during Drums/Space. Very cool stuff.

Enjoy!

Friday's (7/23) JGB show hit a lil hangup :(

I used to pull a live matrix mix feed from ZOE Radio (Schwagstock had their own radio station on the festival property that would air all of the shows and whatnot while they were happening) and Melvin was cool with us doing that, since ZOE Radio was doing their own mix. Long story short...ZOE Radio has dissolved and with it being a direct FOH SBD feed for the first time we'll need Melvin's approval first. Their super kind sound man is gonna see how he feels about it and we'll go from there...we'll see...my finger's are crossed. I have a good feeling.

During Strugglin' Man the moon and the sun were both hard at work...simultaneously.

"As the sun lights the day and the moon lights the night

Struggling man keeps reaching for the higher heights

So we plan for tomorrow as we live for today

Like a flower we bloom and then later fade away"

I have Friday night's Schwag show all edited and ready to upload...I'll hopefully have it done by this time tomorrow...or perhaps tonight if my internet's up. It was down all day yesterday...and this morning. :wacko:

We got a delightful Drums>Space>Wharf Rat>Hey Pocky Way...Oh and Sailor>Saint was good too. There were definitely some hotspots....Hard To Handle hits some nice grooves.

I really dig seeing Melvin play GD material...he definitely puts his own cosmic stamp on it. :icon14: :icon14:

http://www.archive.org/details/schwag2010-07-24

Here's the link to friday's show...Archive glitched on the date so I had to use the 24th but in reality it's the 23rd...anywho...enjoy!

Warning: Gimme Some Lovin' starts off pretty brutally but recovers a bit... :blink:

Hotspots:

Wharf Rat (Stu + Jerry Ballads= well, you know :icon14:)

Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance (Is it close enough to pretend?)

Oh...I strongly dislike Victim or the Crime in general, but I dug this one...with that being said I REALLY needed the Ripple that followed.

Enjoy!

Saturday's beast will be along shortly (ahem...Dark Star, ahem...DEW!...Oh, and "Gimme Shelter" with the JGB songbirds singing backup) :icon14:

That's right!!!! I forgot Tiny was DSO fam! Right on!

:D

Tiny's a really kind cat...he's been vending at ZOE now for about a year or two. There's usually some pickin' and grinnin' goin on at his booth.

He's gotten really good at tie dyeing too (is that a word?) :rolleyes:

• Forum MVP

That's right!!!! I forgot Tiny was DSO fam! Right on!

biggrin.gif

Tiny's a really kind cat...he's been vending at ZOE now for about a year or two. There's usually some pickin' and grinnin' goin on at his booth.

He's gotten really good at tie dyeing too (is that a word?) rolleyes.gif

I believe it is a proper verb, and I have the tee shirts to prove it! He's an artist on several levels and in several fields... cheers.gif

Alrighty!

Saturday is all good to go! A lil vocal dropout at the very beginning of U.S. Blues but otherwise the show's sonically and cosmically sound.

http://www.archive.org/details/schwag2010-07-24.sbd

They played the rain out of the sky at this show....check out the Morning Dew ;)

The "Dark Star>Caution>Dark Star>Drums>Space>Gimme Shelter" is blissful too

Enjoy!

Mike sounds really good on tape...Sounds like Bobby!

Check out the Weather Report Suite as well...awww...who am I kidding? The whole show's fun times :icon14:

Here's the setlist:

01. U.S. Blues 05:59

02. Box of Rain 05:53

03. Me and My Bobby Mcgee 08:04

04. Jack-a-Roe 07:40

05. Passenger 06:57

06. Weather Report Suite 18:39

07. Didgeridoo JaM 09:51

08. China>Rider 15:10

09. Around and Around 08:49

10. Dark Star> 10:44

11. Caution>Dark Star> 18:13

12. Drums>Space> 10:23

13. Gimme Shelter> 07:59

14. Throwing Stones 10:07

15. Morning Dew 13:42

I saw Mike Marat a few days prior to this gig...he was not playing with Stu but with another guitarist......

I though it was a good set. Not great. The most bizzare thing was that Mike was playing a Jackson guitar....it was not that the sound was that bad..its just that the guitar is just hideously ugly imho.........but I guess one persons ugly duckling is another persons Mona Lisa..

I cant recall what Marat used to play with DSO but I saw him in 1998 at Mississippi Nights..Pretty confident he was not playing a Jackson...

His guitar at these shows was Tie-Dyed...it appeared to be a Fender but I'm hardly a guitar aficionado..it definitely was tie dyed though :)

I really dig Melvin chugging the Caution train during the Saturday Night Dark Star sandwich...he can turn his B3 into a train, a cosmic ship, or even a pleasant gondola :rolleyes: ....this happened to be a ferocious train burning diamonds instead of coal and spraying technicolor sparks allover the track (to me).

• 1 month later...

Alrighty Starheads!

Here are my recordings of the most recent Schwagstock at Camp ZOE with Stu Allen on guitar and Melvin Seals on keys...enjoy!

FRIDAY (SBD Recording):

http://www.archive.org/details/schwag2010-09-17

01. Samson and Delilah

02. Little Red Rooster

03. Dupree's Diamond Blues

04. Race is On

05. It Takes a Lot to Laugh, it Takes a Train to Cry

06. All New Minglewood Blues

07. Loser

08. Feel Like a Stranger (WOW!)

-SET II-

09. Scarlet Begonias>Fire on the Mountain

10. Midnight Hour

11. Casey Jones

12. St. Stephen>

13. Ship of Fools>

14. All Along the Watchtower>

15. Touch of Grey

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SATURDAY (SBD Recording):

http://www.archive.org/details/schwag2010-09-18.sbd

01. Bertha

02. Queen Jane Approximately

03. Brown Eyed Women

04. Good Mornin Little Schoolgirl

05. Candyman>

06. Me and My Uncle>

07. Loose Lucy

08. BIODTL

-Set II-

09. Shakedown Street>

10. Viola Lee Blues

11. Friend of the Devil

12. Man Smart, Woman Smarter>

13. Terrapin Station>

14. Truckin>

15. Stella Blue>

16. Lovelight

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUNDAY (AUD):

http://www.archive.org/details/schwag2010-09-19.frontporch

01. (cut) I Know You Rider

02. Golden Road (to unlimited devotion)

03. Cassidy

04. Folsom Prison Blues

05. Desolation Row

06. Midnight Moonlight

07. Box of Rain

08. Big River (bass)

09. Kansas City (bass)

10. Jimmy's Camp ZOE Blues (bass)

11. Fuck a Pig...Please (chatter)

12. Mr. Charlie

13. Margaritaville

14. Bird Song (feat. Scarlet...the cat)

15. Cumberland Blues

16. Long Haired Country Boy

17. Let it Grow>

18. Big RxR Blues

19. Mountains of the Moon>Deal

***Front Porch Solo Acoustic show with Jimmy Tebeau****

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

David Gans Friday (SBD Recording):

http://www.archive.org/details/dgans2010-09-17.acoustic

01. Loser

02. Life is a Jam

03. Down to Eugene

04. Lazy River Road

05. Cassidy's Cat

06. Ill be Your Baby Tonight

07. Like a Dog

08. Terrapin Station-River and Drown

09. The Minstrel *In Jerry's memory*

I still have to complete both JGB shows and David Gans' Saturday show

Enjoy! I can't get enough of Melvin Seals playing Dead...he taps into the Brent grooves all the while stamping his cosmic individuality into the fusion of sounds...ahhh I LOVE IT!!!

• 1 month later...

Here are the recent Spookstock recordings from Camp ZOE!

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=venue%3A%22Spookstock+9%22

~~~BAND~~~

MELVIN SEALS on Keyboards

MARK KARAN (from Ratdog) on guitar

FUTUREMAN (from Bela Fleck) on drumitar

STU ALLEN on guitar & vocals

JIMMY TEBEAU on bass & vocals

LEE KRAM on drums

FOH: Cameron Blietz

---------------------------------------------

http://www.archive.org/details/schwag2010-10-29.SBD

FRIDAY:

01. Oh Babe It Ain't No Lie

02. Tennessee Jed

03. Stuck Inside of Mobile>

04. Black-Throated Wind

05. Shady Grove

06. Fire (Hendrix)

07. Peggy-O

08. Goin Down the Road Feelin Bad

09. Foolish Heart

10. Easy Wind

11. Great White Buffalo

12. Black Peter>

13. Drums>Space>

14. The Other One>

15. Uncle Johns Band>

16. Playin in the Band>

17. Johnny B. Goode

Listen to Karan's take on "Easy Wind"...I'm diggin his phrasing

----------------------------------------

SATURDAY (First Set)

http://www.archive.org/details/schwag2010-10-30.SBD

01. Hwy 61

02. Althea>

03. Folsom Prison Blues

04. Mr. Charlie

05. Dire Wolf

06. Cheap Sunglasses

07. Row Jimmy>

08. The Music Never Stopped

Melvin Seals doin' Cheap Sunglasses by ZZ Top!?! Only at ZOE :)

Saturday's show cut off after/during SPACE inexplicably (go figure)...I've finished uploading everything up to this point of space. :wacko:

Check out the 25+ minute stroll through Help>Slip>Franklins :icon14: :icon14:

http://www.archive.org/details/schwag2010-10-30.SBD

SET 2

09. One More Saturday Night

10. Help On The Way>Slipknot>Franklin's Tower>

11. Drums/Space (cut)

Big Troubles for all things Schwag.....Most likely the end of Schwagstock as it currently exists....Not a huge fan of the Schwag per se but alot of local musicians have played at these festivals for the last 5 years......anytime a creative outlet like that is shuttered it sucks..

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2010/11/camp_zoe_schwagstock_drug_investigation_seizure.php

Big Troubles for all things Schwag.....Most likely the end of Schwagstock as it currently exists....Not a huge fan of the Schwag per se but alot of local musicians have played at these festivals for the last 5 years......anytime a creative outlet like that is shuttered it sucks..

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2010/11/camp_zoe_schwagstock_drug_investigation_seizure.php

Wow, just WOW!!! Unbelievable. I'd be interested in someone's perspective whose been to one of these recently.

not a huge fan? how could you not be a huge fan?? the scwag are awesome and imho stu allen is the best at what does(plays jerry)!! hands down!!

not a huge fan? how could you not be a huge fan?? the scwag are awesome and imho stu allen is the best at what does(plays jerry)!! hands down!!

Pretty easily actually..alot of competition in the STL....It's sort of like a City that has two baseball teams...I don't have that much time to go see live music when I do and it's in that genre (Dead related) I usually see Jakes Leg who has been playing in this town for over 30 years...I don't dislike the Schwag...but much prefer a two guitar lineup as it relates to the Deads music...The Grateful Dead are a two guitar attack...

Stu Allen is very good at what he does...I like him very much...However it's a reach to say he is the best...

"Among the best" would be more accurate...but that's just my opinion...

Pretty easily actually..alot of competition in the STL....It's sort of like a City that has two baseball teams...I don't have that much time to go see live music when I do and it's in that genre (Dead related) I usually see Jakes Leg who has been playing in this town for over 30 years...I don't dislike the Schwag...but much prefer a two guitar lineup as it relates to the Deads music...The Grateful Dead are a two guitar attack...

Stu Allen is very good at what he does...I like him very much...However it's a reach to say he is the best...

"Among the best" would be more accurate...but that's just my opinion...

I agree

The pit of hell... Sorry, but I call it like I see it....

I will bite. Are you refering to the City of St. Louis?

If so you are entitled to your opinion....but my opinion is if you feel that way you were with the wrong tour guides during the time you lived here brother, and were steered in the wrong direction.....and that's a shame really..I know at least Two Drummers and a lighting guy..that would be at least a little surprised at the harshness of that description...But hey I would take Chicago over New York every single day..so what do I know....

As for our Baseball team well I will put up our Franchise number against anyone's with the exception of maybe the Yankees.. (lol) 10 World Champions and a whole lot of pennants ain't to bad...

Archived