Zoellner Arts Center

Guest Cyn

Guest Lisacat

No you can't dance here. No, not here either.

Oh, stop that dancing!

Last time I get to see these guys in quite some time and I have to be literally chased through the venue for dancing.

I noticed the whole strictness of the place, but I just stayed by my seat and didn't get any problems.

"If you don't push them, they won't push you" is a statement Bob Weir said in between songs in one of Dick's Picks. 32 I think, which was Baltimore Civic Center 1972 with a forty minute "Other One." Not like any of this information relates to the issue at hand.

Guest Lisacat

so I'll do my real review now.... show was 4/11/88 with a sisters and brothers filler.

I don't remember the venue being quite this annoying the last time around but by the 2nd set we got settled a little better. Really loved the show pick for tonight....was hoping for a Brokedown Palace for my last night seeing DSO on the east coast for a while. And of course Sisters and Brothers- a song that I always think of when I am at odds with the world or other folks.... hit home quite a bit as well.

I have traveled all over the place to see DSO so it was funny to me that the last place I see them play before I head west is right here in my hometown. Its perfect actually....these guys made me a deadhead, they introduced me to california and all the wonderful friends I have made there and now I am moving there. And when it boils down to it, it is because of this band (and of course back it up a little further, because of the Grateful Dead). I owe a lot of gratitude and love. My life would not be the same without all of you. So, thank you DSO and friends for helping me shape my life path and start a new turn of the wheel. I wish there was a way that I could give back to this community what it has given me.

See you out west.

Much love,

Lisa

• Advisory Board

For those wondering about the actual setlist...

Deadbase....

04-11-88 Joe Louis Arena, Detroit, Mi. (Mon)

1: Bucket> Sugaree, Minglewood, Roses, Memphis Blues, To Lay Me Down> Music

2: Touch> Woman Smarter> Ship Of Fools> Truckin> Drumz> Wheel> Gimme Some Lovin> Watchtower> Stella Blue> Lovelight

E: Brokedown

Oh, stop that dancing!

Will you all please take your seats?

Will you all please FIND your seats?

May I see your ticket?

And finally........

Would you mind just stepping a little bit forward? Haaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!

It was a Stella night. Just beautiful.

Thanks DSO.

Wonderful seeing all of you.

Greg, thanks for being right there.

Love,

Kira

PS Ann just loved ALL of it!!!!!!

Oh, stop that dancing!

Haha I thought the same thing! Luckily Made it to aisle between the very front row of seats and just danced with a great group of people!

Amazing show to end my run of DSO shows until they come back next month!

Thanks!

• Forum MVP

kira, good to see your hitting up so many shows this tour!!

miss you! i miss all of you east coasters!!!!!!!!! it will be a LONG time before i make it back east.. yall are gonna have to come see me in portland!!

Guest Lisacat

kira, good to see your hitting up so many shows this tour!!

miss you! i miss all of you east coasters!!!!!!!!! it will be a LONG time before i make it back east.. yall are gonna have to come see me in portland!!

Hey I'll be closer! 10 hours or a cheap flight away!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

I heard about the dancing nazi's, but luckily in our front row spot we had room to dance and had seats behind us so they didn't get on us about it. we had tickets for somewhere near the back, but when we saw the whole area in front of Jeff free of people sitting, we just got up there and took our seats and pretended we belonged there so we would be able to enjoy the show properly. soon after sitting down, and older couple seeing DSO for the first time sat beside us, and we had really good talks throughout the show about how the lady had rented from Kesey and made his mother lunch every day... she said her first show had been 8/26/72 and when the Deviled Egg's reply was, "oh, that one in Oregon at those Kesey fairgrounds?" and he started naming songs from that show, she really opened up and I think it made her happy to see kids younger than her own daughter that are so into the music of the GD so many years after she had let it go. When she asked us what we thought they were gonna play and we told her late 80s, I also added that it should be a pretty special show considering what day it was, and she gave me this blank look, and asked what I meant, so I told her, "it's the 9th" and she started crying, saying she hadn't realized, and that she'd known Jerry, so I held her and we cried, and I was reminded of moments like these that I seem to have a lot lately where I hold a beautiful mama or papa whose life was changed by Jerry, and even though I wasn't there in this life, I am so grateful I get to be here now and be a shoulder to cry on when those moments occur.... this family is truly a sacred and remarkable thing.

she didn't dance to the first song, but when they started playing sugaree, the Deviled Egg whispered to me that he knew Jeff's solo would have her on her feet shortly, and sure enough, it did, and she continued to dance to all the up beat tunes the rest of the night, telling us how much it really brought her back, and how great this band was, wishing she had seen them before now :) it's ALWAYS someone's first show, and being a part of it is so special!

Roses was one I had been wanting pretty bad, so I was really happy to get it.... we listen to a lot of 74 shows and that is always a prominent song in those, so that made us super happy. NEEDED that touch of grey.... always a good one to hear when the problems just keep mounting with no sign of relenting.

that was our first Stella with Jeff, and only our second one since we have been together, and I just want to thank Jeff again for making it sound so sweet and heavenly, it is our song after all, and I am pretty sure that we have never held each other so tight as we did dancing to it that night. helped us to remember why we are here, and how grateful we are to have found one another, and that is a moment that will help carry us through these coming months of trials and tests.

the sisters and brothers encore was perfect, and I didn't miss my chance to grab the hand of the lady we were beside and sing a full chorus with/to each other, and I know that it meant the world to her that I did that, and that makes my heart super proud that I could help make her moment brighter.

I must say it has been awesome that ever since I learned to play the Wheel on mandolin, and sewed the patch onto my rage-a-corn hat, I have gotten 7-8 wheels from DSO and Furthur.... that is just another part of the silly synchronicities that keep this music always fresh and always rewarding on all the cosmic levels, can't slow it down, indeed.

Archived