Why Do Hippies Still Exist In America?

Guest L~Cat

Guest Lisacat

Its too bad that the joke section doesn't exist anymore, because I think this would be better fit there....iI don't know if its more infuriating, disturbing, or amusing.

http://christwire.org/2010/10/why-do-hippies-still-exist-in-america/

this is my favorite I think:

Having little access to top tier educations, hippies turn to music as an avenue for the pretense of intellectualism and culture. They will take great delight in speaking of concerts or even attending them, though their range of performers is quite limited and rarely goes beyond the bands The Grateful Dead and The Phish.

• Forum MVP

Easily one of the greatest pieces of writing to come out in some time. I'm truely amazed that someone so bat-shit crazy can actually type proper sentences.

I believe my favorite (at least until I read it again ;) ) is:

And in that darkness, hidden away from common sense and ethical living, they engage in the most vile, bestial acts. Sexual liberation leading to multiple partners, orgies, homosexuality, lesbianism, voyeurism, teen sex and chemically-fueled perversion are all part of their plan.

I must not have been paying attention at the show I went to.

• Forum MVP

Easily one of the greatest pieces of writing to come out in some time. I'm truely amazed that someone so bat-shit crazy can actually type proper sentences.

I believe my favorite (at least until I read it again ;) ) is:

And in that darkness, hidden away from common sense and ethical living, they engage in the most vile, bestial acts. Sexual liberation leading to multiple partners, orgies, homosexuality, lesbianism, voyeurism, teen sex and chemically-fueled perversion are all part of their plan.

I must not have been paying attention at the show I went to.

because he looked behind......

• Forum MVP

Honestly, this reads like it was ripped from the pages of The Onion.

That's exactly what I thought when I first read the article. But then I looked at the web site and realised that this apparently is a serious editorial and not the comics page. It is unfortunate that there are many people with closed minds and radical ideas about cultures they don't understand. Here in rural Georgia there sems to be a lot of these folks. I think it comes from our poor education system as well as being handed down from parents. The world would be better if we all were hippies ...and we didn't have any of those dirty, gun tolt'n, right wing, uneducated, skin head, republicans, listening to that noise they call rap music.

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Forum MVP

Many tend to forget that Jesus was a long haired anti-societal, marijuana-loving civil liberation type.

You are correct. These people have little relation to Jesus. They are merely bigots hiding behind Religion.

• Forum MVP

Many tend to forget that Jesus was a long haired anti-societal, marijuana-loving civil liberation type.

I don't doubt it but I seem to have missed the story about Jesus smooking marijunana. Maybe it was just lost in the translation that my parents read me. Was it "fish" or weed that he passed around that afternoon when someone said there wasn't enough for the whole crowd that was gathered there on the hillside ?

Peace, Love, and Happy Thoughts

Doc

• Forum MVP

I don't doubt it but I seem to have missed the story about Jesus smooking marijunana. Maybe it was just lost in the translation that my parents read me. Was it "fish" or weed that he passed around that afternoon when someone said there wasn't enough for the whole crowd that was gathered there on the hillside ?

Peace, Love, and Happy Thoughts

Doc

Maybe in the original Aramaic the "burning bush" probably has a slightly different meaning. And as for Ezekiel's chariot, talk about fire wheels burning in the air...

And I must have really missed the point at this show: There are screams and shrieks and depressing sessions of drum beatings that never seem to end. I always kind of liked a nice, long, tribal Gaea-worshipping drums. Guess the screams and shrieks were all the masturbators.

• Forum MVP

Hey, bad news guys:

http://www.theatlant...ngton-Post-4766

Turns out the site IS satirical. I didn't know this until one of my friends brought it to my attention.

Whew! I was worried about having misunderstood the unbridled masculine progressivism of the Reagan years. Not to mention the masturbation and GHB...

• Advisory Board

That guy is an idiot.... if you read the comments on that page from readers, everyone is trashing him..... I decided to write a little note in that section too.... Here's what I wrote...

Wow

• Forum MVP

Well said, Ron. There is always a time and a place for pearls before swine (Mr. Billings should get that allusion, too). It does seem, however, that Christwire may indeed be a spoof. If so, it is of old school Nat Lamp quality.

• Forum MVP

Well said, Ron. There is always a time and a place for pearls before swine (Mr. Billings should get that allusion, too). It does seem, however, that Christwire may indeed be a spoof. If so, it is of old school Nat Lamp quality.

What Chuck said. I feel, however, that wars are generally fought over resources not Religion. Religion is often just a cover for other motives.

Hey, bad news guys:

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/opinions/view/opinion/Satirical-Christian-Site-Hoodwinks-the-Huffington-Post-4766

Turns out the site IS satirical. I didn't know this until one of my friends brought it to my attention.

Yesss!!!! Vindicated! I was arguing last week with a couple of people about this.

They guy's "contact-me" link is hatemail@something.gmail.com or something like that. Clearly a spoof IMHO, and very nicely done.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Forum MVP

Ok are we all clear now that christwire is satire? Good. As for the asserted causal relationship between music and self-abuse I for one am very uncertain about the direction of causality. No further comment on that.

If you don't know Harry Shearer then you should.

Christwire is a great example of why Harry says

"Leave the satire to the pros, Babe."

Archived