Dso Original Set Lists V. Gd Set Lists

Guest Rob Eaton

Original set lists v. GD set lists  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Looking for input from the community!

• Prefer DSO Original Set Lists
    • Prefer GD set Lists

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:) :) :)

Robbie SO GOOD to see you ! I never really was one to go in wishing , hoping , or expecting ! Really if you ALL are feeling it then I know I will be ! Looking so forward to X MAS New Years LOVE ! I SO skipped MSG tonight :D :D

A

p. s. I'm pretty FREE tomorrow night too : )))))))))))))))))))

Anth

I have never ever been disappointed with a DSO show , if asked to make a choice between recreation or original I would have to say original allowing YOU the band the spontaneity to take any given show the direction you feel at the time , no reason to be bound by what was in lieu of creating what is :0

besides you can always string together a few traditionals if the mood feels right..

regardless thank you for all you you do , it is beyond compare!

I love the originals, and want more and more of Terrapin Nation. My ideal would be for the band to book 2 dates at every venue, one for Terrapin Nation and the other for DSO.

But the recreations are much more important and are what made the band as successful as it is today. It is grad school for jam band musicians and "high" school for new (and old) Grateful Dead fans. Some other band will pick up the torch if it has become too heavy, but I would surely mourn that day.

IMHO.....I'm a fan of both originals and recreations. But I must say that I enjoy the recreations a little bit more.

I think part of the bands selling point is "recreating" Grateful Dead setlist better than anybody else out there. I enjoy getting to a show and evaluating the drum setup, mics, guitars and piano/organ area to look for "clues" that may reveal something about the night to come. And for me it only gets better from that point. When the show starts I have a lot going through my head....Is this a recreation or an original? What year is being recreated? Do i already of a copy of the GD show? Can i pick out the exact setlist? But i'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to my GD music collection.

That being said, I'm not a big fan of knowing the show before i get there. :( I thought it was cool on 5/9/2007 but since....not my favorite. But that's just my opinion...

Either way :dsorocks:

Guest jazz-man

To be honest I come to the shows to hear the musicl, it doesn't matter to me whether the setlist is original or authentic. DSO rocks!!!

Nice to see Rob and taper ron on here :)

• Forum MVP

i have mixed feelings i guess?

i prefer originals, but i really value the 60 something recreations ive attended. the recreations are great for GD geeks like myself to experience times that came before i even existed. i think the recreations also help reinforce a larger catalog of playable tunes, allowing the band to play songs they might not have suggested otherwise. However, being the GD geek that i am, as soon as i see the set up i know what potential songs could be played, which takes out some of the excitement. Also, there are a lot of songs that were played virtually non-stop from 72-92 (playin, promised, let it grow, etc) and the recreations reflect this. so after seeing 75 shows (70 of which had a promised land), im always excited about originals because they're chocked full of rarer (and JGB) songs

by the way, i miss the starhead family! hope to see everyone soon!

• Forum VIP

My comments are similar to JFolks, The original concept of DSO was to recreate Grateful Dead Shows and for old fans of the GD that is a fun concept, but the band has matured over the years and the Original or Elective set lists allow for incredible creative work on the music, So I am a big fan of both. I do think we can use the Dead show base as a powerful tool to draw in fans at the right time in the right city, looking forward to the Cali run...see you all around the playground.

Dr V.

• Advisory Board

My comments are similar to JFolks, The original concept of DSO was to recreate Grateful Dead Shows and for old fans of the GD that is a fun concept, but the band has matured over the years and the Original or Elective set lists allow for incredible creative work on the music, So I am a big fan of both. I do think we can use the Dead show base as a powerful tool to draw in fans at the right time in the right city, looking forward to the Cali run...see you all around the playground.

Dr V.

I'm with Dr. V and JFolks...

I prefer the elective setlists, but I also love the recreations...

With the electives, you just never know what your gonna get. Two prime examples; the Nokia show a while back when DSO did a Help>Slip>Stranger>Franklin's, and in AC the last time around, they did an Other Ones>Standing on the Moon>Other ones... I mean WOW... You really NEVER do know what's coming next... I love the originals because with the Dead, I feel, that certain era's have definate paterns with the first sets, and second sets and you can almost feel where they are going from song to song. With the electives, you get to hear such beautiful tunes that you normally wouldn't get out of a Dead show, i.e. Visions, Believe it or Not, Strange Man, Two Souls, Spoonful, ect....It took me a while to warm up to the elective setlists, because I was so excited to try and figure out what year they were playing, and to hear shows that were orgionaly played way before my time. While the electives are my favorite, I can understand the recreations people. It's what first brought me to see a DSO show, and brought me back many many times in the first few years I followed them around/

On the other hand, there are recreations that just leave me totally flabbergasted. I have yet to see them do a 69 show, but I absolutely love when they recreate the setlists from the 83-84 era.. A few that come to my mind; The Hampton 83 show they did at The E-Factory, the two night run Augusta 84 they did at the El Ray a while back, and the Warfield 83 show they did at the E-Factory (Scotty blew my socks off with the Mr. Fantasy>Hey Jude>Ripple filler). As much as I would love to see them play more elective setlists, looking at it from a business standpoint, I would have to say keep the recreations in heavy rotations at the bigger venue's and cities... The younger generation, who never got to see Jerry, want to hear shows they've heard on their bootlegs, and feel the era so to speak. From being at a shitton of DSO shows through out the years, I've heard the younger crowd comment on being a bit discouraged when they find out it's an elective show. Being that we are still all in a shitty economical cash-strapped times, I think the recreations would fill out the venue's more, therefore letting our beloved musicians have a bigger, more energy filled crowd to play to., which in my opinion, makes their musical energy flow more freely.

Either way, I'm happy to get to ANY DSO show that I can, and I KNOW I will enjoy every second that they are preforming onstage. Recreating, fuckin' excellent... Elective, even fuckin' better!!

:dsorocks: :dsorocks: :dsorocks:

Guest Lisacat

when it comes down to it, if I made a list of my top 5, maybe even 10 favorite shows, they would all be electives. There are certain eras of the GD that I would truly miss if recreations went away though (which I'm sure they never will), such as 88/89 and the early stuff (pre-73). to me its all just a collection of songs and there's just more variety in the electives which keeps it all fresh! There's also the added element of unpredictability and creativity which adds a different energy to those shows.

The west coast run will be all recreations and I certainly am not complaining about that one bit either! Its ALL good.

I enjoy the elective vibe and song selections much more. I have said this since 2002 when people were actually boycotting you for playing electives: Play whatever you want and what makes you happy the way you like to play it. So far so good. This is still my favorite band that is currently touring because yall happen to play GD music incredibly well in the traditional style. Don't sell yourself short by limiting the size of the canvas you have to work with. DSO has proven itself over and over exceeding most peoples expectations time and time again all over this land and beyond. You my friends are in the best position to take us all further right now. Herdy is Dead on when he talks about bringing out the recreations more strategicly. Kinda like Aces back to back and pay 'em back with one good hand. My vote: 1 recreation for every 5 herdlectives to start and see how that feels. Peace and thanks for all you all do regardless.

I'm also torn between the two choices. I voted for recreations as this is the way DSO started playing. Recreations is what got me hooked on DSO. With that said, I can also vote the other way as I absolutely look forward to electives as they are always a special treat. I would assume if DSO continues to write original tunes, recreation shows will reduce.

• Forum MVP

I say keep a nice mix of the two...with that said I voted for originals. :dsorocks:

I say the same. Keep both. I love the electives, but I think the recreations keep some songs in play that would not get played if all were electives.

Archived