Dso Original Set Lists V. Gd Set Lists

Guest Rob Eaton

Original set lists v. GD set lists  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Looking for input from the community!

• Prefer DSO Original Set Lists
    • Prefer GD set Lists

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the vote is very close in the poll but people that have commented seem to be trending towards original set lists..

I'm one who is strongly in the recreation camp and I have commented on this previously so I wont bore anyone. The recreations allow me to capture in a more tangible way than in simple memory alone...some very special soundtrack moments of my youth..

It's no fault of the Bands but I just don't get the Mojo at originals..and one of the main reasons for that..is the accessability of a similar type of set list locally from some very good bands here in STL...so when DSO comes to town im looking to get into Shermans Way Back Machine..

Also it was not a question but I really like the idea of the West Coast Tour coming up where you know they are going to play a set list that was done in the past regionally..

Also for example....in limited instances I love the idea of a run of 3 or 4 shows within a Tour (perhaps not the whole Tour - allowing for orginals)..where they announce the shows in Advance.....example:

Pagaent - Mississippi River Festival Edwardsville, IL 1980

Ottos - Dekalb 77

Park West - Uptown Theater - 2/1/78

Val Air Ballroom Des Moines - Iowa State Fair 1973

Think this concept would be cool...

• Forum MVP

I really would rather not have to choose between one or the other, to be honest.........sort of like being asked who my favorite child is......(if I had any :))

I've loved all of the originals, so yes I do love those shows always...........

But.....throw in almost any recreation from the 60's or 70's and I'm as happy as a pig in the mud.

I vote for leaving it just the way that it is! :dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

I couldn't agree with you more on that and it's the big reason I didn't go to 5/9.

It's one of the reasons many of us tried to stay away from some of the folks who would tape the soundcheck in the late 80s and 90s.

I can't imagine how much less exciting the Visions of Johanna breakout would have been had I known it was coming, to name one example.

It's like stealing a little bit of magic from under your night to come (no offense to Boone and those other folks who couldn't get enough of those soundchecks--but they knew why some of us would turn away and run if we saw them before a show!

I hate knowing what's coming next. That's why originals are my preference. Inevitably, someone pulls up the setlist at half time and starting prophetizing about how great the second will be..

• Forum MVP

I like em both! I just want to hear the music. :dsorocks: no matter what set list they play.

Sometimes it's cool to get to the venue and analyze set up and just formulate a picture of what possible to come and keep narrowing stuff down as the night proceeds. Other times i absolutely love the spontaneity and creativity (jgb tunes are a big plus) that is involved in an elective. Both serve their purposes very well.

And as herdy said, i think the recreations are good from a business standpoint.

Guest clem8989

We are looking for input from our community as to the preference listed in this Poll. Thanks Rob

DSO - if it's not broke, don't fix it!

For me, I would give a slight edge to the GD setlists but love the Original setlist variety. Keep on doing what your doing. I just love hearing great music and being with the people.

• Forum MVP

Only out of fear that this feedback would be used to change the future direction of the band, I voted for recreations. I'm probably 49% electives and 51% recreations. I will say that if I were one of the lucky few who have already been graced with a 60's recreation, I'd flip and be 49% recreations and 51% electives. I really don't want anything to change before I get that chance.

That said, I'm with those that say "just keep bringing it!!" Originals are great, recreations are awesome, Jimmy cracked corn and I don't give a shit. This band has yet to do anything that made me say WTF!!

:dsorocks:

I hate knowing what's coming next. That's why originals are my preference. Inevitably, someone pulls up the setlist at half time and starting prophetizing about how great the second will be..

Thats a great point. I have never owned Cow Palace 76 luckily and I haven't looked at the setlist because I don't want to know. I know what could happen but I don't really know. I have a terrible memory anyway, so even if I did know a show I would probably be surprised.

I remember at the Fillmore 07 I heard someone talking about the 2nd set and I just walked away as fast as I could.

• Forum MVP

Thats a great point. I have never owned Cow Palace 76 luckily and I haven't looked at the setlist because I don't want to know. I know what could happen but I don't really know. I have a terrible memory anyway, so even if I did know a show I would probably be surprised.

I'm confused as to what a Cow Palace show has to do with anything??

I don't like being confused....

I'm confused as to what a Cow Palace show has to do with anything??

I don't like being confused....

lol. I'm sorry. DSO is playing the cow palace 76 new years, this year for new years in Bridgeport. I plan on going. I know this is a released show and I dont own it. I don't want to know the setlist before the show.

• Forum MVP

Only out of fear that this feedback would be used to change the future direction of the band, I voted for recreations. I'm probably 49% electives and 51% recreations. I will say that if I were one of the lucky few who have already been graced with a 60's recreation, I'd flip and be 49% recreations and 51% electives. I really don't want anything to change before I get that chance.

That said, I'm with those that say "just keep bringing it!!" Originals are great, recreations are awesome, Jimmy cracked corn and I don't give a shit. This band has yet to do anything that made me say WTF!!

:dsorocks:

Have no fear! We're not changing anything because of this poll. RB

• Forum MVP

this past year at the ramshead there was a jam late in the second set that nailed what the dead were doing after the egypt run ,would stuff like that be lost in elective shows .I think you guys get into such a time zone when doing certain eras through out the whole show that we might not get to witness in orignals

I vote for:

Grateful Dead Setlist re-creation shows

I've been seeing DSO since 2000, and I still enjoy these shows the most.

I've seen several EPIC DSO Original setlists, but I still feel that Grateful Dead setlist shows, overall, best re-create the Grateful Dead experience.

My show preferences are as follows:

1. 75 -79 2 drummer shows with Lisa

2. 71-74 1 drummer shows with Lisa

3. 60s shows

4. Original Setlist shows

5. 80-90s

But, heck, it's all really all great.

Thanks for asking and just keep doing what you're doing!

I voted for "recreations". While I do love the original sets, I find that the most mind-bending, epic, out of this world experiences I've had at DSO shows have been during recreations.

That being said, DSO could play all Styx tunes and I'd still see 'em every time they come to town. :)

and all THAT having been said...I think y'all should play "Mansion on the Hill" a bit more often. Uncle Neil never sounded so good. :)

Guest crazy digits

I like both. However, if DSO is recreating a show, I would rather not know in advance what the show is. Just my opinion.

Thanks DSO for your deadication..

• Forum MVP

Elective sets with an occasional GD show thrown in gets my vote. Terripin Nation shows add a lot of spice into the mix too and add an outlet for orginal songs. The Terripin set at Grateful Fest last summer was one of the most fun shows I've seen.

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Forum MVP

Might also be fun to have an elective "setlist" but play it in a certain era's style (i.e. Play like it is 1973 but you could thrown in a So Many Roads and a Shakedown). Would be fun to hear DSO do a long, spacey Playin' but with all the technology of the later years.

Archived