Dso Original Set Lists V. Gd Set Lists

Guest Rob Eaton

Original set lists v. GD set lists  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Looking for input from the community!

• Prefer DSO Original Set Lists
    • Prefer GD set Lists

• Forum VIP

I am completely converted after MANY (too many to admit) Dark Star shows, that the band has grown into their own and Elective or Original Sets are always some of the best shows of the tour...the early stuff '69/'70 is also bringing out some real high points, why?...it allows them to let loose and have fun, it also brings in the whole band...I do prefer Lisa and the B3 on the stage, barraco songs and JGB songs....thats just me....they always prefer to do what they feel like that night.....any muscian does.....when they play a show they are handcudffed...I would like to see more of 50/50 split going on.....that to me is the next step for this band....take the beautiful new bird out of the cage and watch/listen to it fly....my two cents...Dr. V.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am completely converted after MANY (too many to admit) Dark Star shows, that the band has grown into their own and Elective or Original Sets are always some of the best shows of the tour...the early stuff '69/'70 is also bringing out some real high points, why?...it allows them to let loose and have fun, it also brings in the whole band...I do prefer Lisa and the B3 on the stage and the JGB songs....thatsjust me....they prefer to do what they want and how they feel night...when they play a show they are handcudffed...I would like to see more of 50/50 split going on..that to me is the next step for this band....take the beautiful new bird out of the cage and watch/listen to it fly....my two cents...Dr. V.

Could not agree with you more, Dr. V. With Jeff on board, DSO's elective shows have been increasingly varied and chock full of improvisation from all band members. While I am always grateful just to be able to be at a show, in good health, and ready to dance my ass off, it is a special treat for me when the show is a DSO original. I think it's great that they are reaching back into the 1969-1971 material of late, which was such a transitional time for the Dead. The fact that Lisa has taken up the harmonica to embellish on songs where Pigpen used the instrument is one more way the band is reaching higher, and I simply can't wait to see her and Rob B. playing off each other on some of these numbers!

Topher

You make some valid points. However, when putting together a tour many factors come into play such as: what eras from night to night, the repeating of songs, stage size what was played in that area previous,, etc, etc

We have to make it work for us, our crew, the venue, the fans. I saw the Dead over 23 yrs. A lot were magical, some were ok and some downright sucked. At the same time friends who thought a show was so-so were amazed that I could think the show was off the charts. And visa-versa. One mans garbage is another mans treasure. Rest assured the next time at the HOB in Boston will not be an elective- you can count on it because that is how we roll. RB

PS Next time you are blown away its only fair you write about it!!

Thanks Rob for the reply. It's great to be able to have a conversation with the band. Definitely, I will certainly be writing about the next show. Before then I'm sure I will also be spending far too much time checking the DSO site for news of the next northeast tour (:

Then the HOB show. Yes the band played their hearts out, and lots of people seemed to be having a great time. But for me, my first taste of an original set list was quite frankly a bit confusing. DSO's first Boston show in five years, a premier venue in Boston, perhaps my expectations were too high or in another direction. The band rocked, people danced, but it wasn't recreating the Dead experience for me. Trucking into Fire and drums/space was incredible and made the night worthwhile for me, but otherwise I felt more like I was at a bar listening to an excellent band, but not transported to another place like at the other shows, and how Dead shows were for me.

If this had been my first show, it probably would have confirmed my doubts about the whole idea. Which brings up another point. With a good crowd and a return to Boston, I feel the band would have been better served in terms of growing the fan base by playing a ripping recreation from an old Boston show. I'm not opposed to the idea of original set lists, but I just didn't understand this one.

i agree with this first paragraph wholeheartedly. i went to hob and hampton beach this swing and although hob was fun and the band played extremely well, it didn't seem to have the energy and continuity that saturday night at hampton beach had. it very well could have been that hampton beach was the x-factor show of tour, but friends of mine who had never seen dso before last year at hampton also thought this year was a lot better than last years shows (2 originals). in my opinion a recreation brings out more of a buzz from the crowd, and the band feeds off of that to create a palpable experience.

i also agree that playing a recreation at hob for first boston show in 5 years probably would have been more appealing to the mainstream crowd, but i know and understand the system dso uses, so will just have to wait till next year. to me i would rather have a 92-95 dead show (not my fav years to say the least) then an original.

Guest Lisacat

I believe the electives may be a little bit more risky than the recreations- the setlist may work or it may not. But when it works its magic! and there are very few times when I've felt that maybe the elective didn't work out so well (and i'm completely willing to take that risk!)

Like Bix, I love it all and never left a show saying, man I wish they would have done XYZ.

The best nights are the nights when the band and crowd are both completely present and engaged with eachother.....when ego slips away and barriers are broken down and energy can travel from one mind and heart to the next. To me, it doesn't matter what the hell is being played when that oneness occurs- I could be a 4 hour dark star as far as I'm concerned. Its about the journey and not some expectation.

What is a setlist anyway besides a collection of songs? The band could probably come out and completely fool us one night by playing a bunch of songs that fit into an era but were not actually a show. It could have been a GD show! So whats the big deal.

• Forum MVP

i agree with this first paragraph wholeheartedly. i went to hob and hampton beach this swing and although hob was fun and the band played extremely well, it didn't seem to have the energy and continuity that saturday night at hampton beach had. it very well could have been that hampton beach was the x-factor show of tour, but friends of mine who had never seen dso before last year at hampton also thought this year was a lot better than last years shows (2 originals). in my opinion a recreation brings out more of a buzz from the crowd, and the band feeds off of that to create a palpable experience.

i also agree that playing a recreation at hob for first boston show in 5 years probably would have been more appealing to the mainstream crowd, but i know and understand the system dso uses, so will just have to wait till next year. to me i would rather have a 92-95 dead show (not my fav years to say the least) then an original.

Granted i'm a dso regular and have been seeing them for 8 years, If I could only see one show a year I would hope for an elective. Least chance of knowing what is going to be played next, fun eclectic setlists, and on top of all of that you get the killer combo of having the wonderful Lisa Mackey and the B3 organ on stage. As far as the energy of the crowd being higher for a recreation, well, I just don't know about that. Maybe for a few, I've heard some grumbles at shows before, but I've found that most people eventually come to prefer electives.

So basically what i'm saying is, Go To More Shows!

:dsorocks:

Granted i'm a dso regular and have been seeing them for 8 years, If I could only see one show a year I would hope for an elective. Least chance of knowing what is going to be played next, fun eclectic setlists, and on top of all of that you get the killer combo of having the wonderful Lisa Mackey and the B3 organ on stage. As far as the energy of the crowd being higher for a recreation, well, I just don't know about that. Maybe for a few, I've heard some grumbles at shows before, but I've found that most people eventually come to prefer electives.

So basically what i'm saying is, Go To More Shows!

:dsorocks:

i've been a regular since since '04, avg bout 5-6 shows a year and probably have seen slightly more recreations then electives (60/40?). i have no problem catching an elective even though its not my preference, i understand why the band does them and why people enjoy them. they still have not grown on me - i have turned on a ton of friends to dso and every time we have walked out of a show being blown away - it has been recreation. just one man's opinion. i love the idea of being able to know what the show is ahead of time. for years i have been going to every show in 2 hour radius, if i knew it was a lock to be a recreation i think that radius would open up. thanks.

The recreations are great cause they give you a sense of what it may have been like to catch a show that you did not attend but...The originals allow for the band to take a show in the direction that hey feel it should go, much like the GD were able to do. When I see an original I like the bus is still going and taking me even further. Plus a recreation means that we might not get Lisa, and well that just sucks!

• Forum MVP
The band could probably come out and completely fool us one night by playing a bunch of songs that fit into an era but were not actually a show. It could have been a GD show! So whats the big deal.

http://www.archive.org/details/dso2002-11-30.shnf

Show #741 - Performing an imagined setlist

(7/1/1976 Syria Mosque, Pittsburgh, PA which was cancelled)

...in fact, JK's exact words durnig the announcement were "...that might have been 7/1/1976..."

• Forum MVP

...in fact, JK's exact words durnig the announcement were "...that might have been 7/1/1976..."

that is really cool, the note at the bottom explaining "imagined" setlists was very informative, and very cool to know.

but, but the Dead didn't play Jack Straw again after hiatus 'til '77.... but wouldn't it have been cool? i like imagination.

LOVE!

• Forum MVP

that is really cool, the note at the bottom explaining "imagined" setlists was very informative, and very cool to know.

but, but the Dead didn't play Jack Straw again after hiatus 'til '77.... but wouldn't it have been cool? i like imagination.

LOVE!

After that show, being pleasantly surprised at the very effective fooling job, I spent the whole next day deadbasing the temporal impossibilities. There were several, Straw being the most glaring. I think I even posted a complete list of them on the previous version of this board. That is still the DSO show to which I most frequently go back and listen repeatedly. It is never far from my player.

• Forum MVP

I didn't' know they did that. Seems like they always went out of there way to tell everyone when it was an original.

This one would have definitely gotten me.

The BIOTDL feels wrong for that mini era (and the Straw as mentioned) but I would have just assumed I was burning and bet anyone in that place that the show was from 76.

Anyone!

At least they were kind enough to give it up with the China>Rider at the very, very end.

• Forum MVP
I would have just assumed I was burning and bet anyone in that place that the show was from 76.

Anyone!

At least they were kind enough to give it up with the China>Rider at the very, very end.

Yup as did I precisely as you say, but making the bets only in my own head. Even the china/rider didn't make it clear to me til JK said it. That was a fun one indeed, right up there with the show-of-encores.

• Forum MVP

right up there with the show-of-encores.

A show-of-encores?

You mean a set like Alabama>Johhny>Werewolves, Rain, UJB>Gloria>She Belongs to Me, Day Tripper>UJB Reprise>Shakedown?

And then they would play an encore of more encores after that set of encores? Like a Morning Dew>Baby Blue?

Serioiuslee?

I've known Jeff & Rob B since 1990. They are GD Scholars. (Don't know the rest of the band) They have a Love, Appreciation and Understanding of the Dead and their music that is extraordinary. Jeff once told me that when he jams he wouldn't play anything that Jerry wouldn't have played! Think about the level of understanding it took to make that statement!

To summarize: Whatever rolls off the stage is just fine with me!

• Forum MVP
A show-of-encores?...Serioiuslee?

Technically only the first set was purely encores, but the second set had a generous sprinkling of them too.

Show: 1061

• Forum MVP

Technically only the first set was purely encores, but the second set had a generous sprinkling of them too.

Show: 1061 • 04/01/2005 Barrymore Theatre, Madison, WI

Setlist: 04-01-2005

1: Stir It Up, Liberty, Johnny B Goode, Baby Blue, Saturday Night, Brokedown, Satisfaction, Terrapin, Gloria, US Blues

2: Women*, Foolish Heart, Broken Arrow, Truckin> Drumz> Bertha> Dancin> Attics> Lovelight

Encore: Viola Lee, Music

Filler: None

Pretty sure an earlier 4/1 show before I boarded the dso bus was done backwards.

;) funfunfun

So the Stir It Up was telling folks what they were going to do?

I like it...but maybe they could have done as much and still had a set of only encores....like with maybe a Revolution ?

• Forum MVP

So the Stir It Up was telling folks what they were going to do?

I like it...but maybe they could have done as much and still had a set of only encores....like with maybe a Revolution ?

Yeah Stir was a mighty clue of elective set and Liberty cemented it but of course it took Johnny B to make me say "heeeeeeyyyyyyyyyy... these seem to all be encores!" I felt the same that they could have made the whole show purely encores, but I guess they felt like the show had to have "flow" or something like that hehehehe.

:D

• Forum MVP

Yeah Stir was a mighty clue of elective set and Liberty cemented it but of course it took Johnny B to make me say "heeeeeeyyyyyyyyyy... these seem to all be encores!" I felt the same that they could have made the whole show purely encores, but I guess they felt like the show had to have "flow" or something like that hehehehe.

:D

I wasn't ripping on them for the whole show not being encores, I was saying that since Stir it Up wasn't ever an encore, as far as I can recall, that first set can't be included in the DSO almanac as an 'all encore' set. My take is that they were warning everyone right off the bat that they were going to stir things up in that set and that, they may have accomplished the same thing had they used a Revolution in it's place.

It wouldn't have been as clear or cool with a Revolution but then the set could been certified.

:)

Archived