Dso Original Set Lists V. Gd Set Lists

Guest Rob Eaton

Original set lists v. GD set lists  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Looking for input from the community!

• Prefer DSO Original Set Lists
    • Prefer GD set Lists

• Forum MVP

Huh I could swear it was used once but I can't find the proof. Must be imagining it.

There was a version that didn't really work out at Hampton in 88 in the first set, which you may have heard. Weir was singing it in a range way too high for him, almost falsetto. Garcia is playing those unfathomably cool intro notes and it's just the greatest thing in the world and then Bob isn't really able to meet that moment. If he had sung a few octaves lower, it would have had a chance at working. There was a pretty funny moment where Bob runs over to Garcia and asks him something...maybe if he knows the words or if he wants to take a verse, whatever it is, Garcia shakes his head rather emphatically, so Bob gives it the old college try.

Then there were a couple cool little Stir It Up jams in '91 into drums with no vocals and in terms of the GD, those are the only ones I know about.

It's funny, I was listening to their performance in Jamaica from '82 on the ride to work today, where they had to play at some ungodly AM hour. You'd have thunk they would have done a Stir It Up there...but I guess that band did things at its own pace.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

The Dead never played Stir It Up, much less as an encore. I don't think the Hampton version counts. You could say they TRIED to play Stir It Up I suppose.

JGB rarely played encores, and Stir It Up was typically in the first set during it's run with JGB, from about '76 through '79.

• Forum MVP

There was a version that didn't really work out at Hampton in 88 in the first set,

The Dead never played Stir It Up, much less as an encore. I don't think the Hampton version counts. You could say they TRIED to play Stir It Up I suppose.

No John....it counts.

One verse and a chorus is all the big man upstairs needs to put it in the official record.

We don't get to decide this stuff.

I've heard some grumbles at shows before, but I've found that most people eventually come to prefer electives.

Hmmm, I've heard that most people also believe that the bible is the literal word of God. :wacko:

There are lots of Dead tribute bands out there playing random dead tunes, some of them doing it pretty well. Granted none I've heard reach the stratospheric heights of DSO, but they are out there in droves. There are also lots of great rock acts from Los Lobos to Elvis Costello to Professor Louie to ABB and CSN, Warren, Kimock, Joan Osborne -- all covering Dead tunes on regular rotation in their shows.

Then there are family spin-off acts that cover Garcia/Hunter and Weir/Barlow in awesome new, twisted, splendid (and yes, sometimes painful) ways and featuring some of the best Jerry acolytes around. Here I mean Furthur, Rhythm Devils, JGB, NRPS, and various other Mickey, Billy, Donna Jean, Bobby and Phil iterations.

Lots of chances to hear lots of Dead tunes. :)

How many chances do you have to hear a Dead show recreated? One.

What can compare to being transported back to the Academy of Music to experience again your first Dead show? Or being a virgin deadhead, too young to have been there, and suddenly recognizing a much-loved second set from Red Rocks? Or finally making it to Barton Hall, the show we all wished we'd hitched to Ithaca to catch.

THERE IS NOTHING LIKE A GRATEFUL DEAD CONCERT. :dsorocks:

Yes, the music is the soundtrack of our lives and it always makes me happy to hear it live. But the shows were about going to the mountain. to church. a temple. And the shows were gone. Until DSO brought them back to life. Hallelujah!

I've enjoyed plenty of Original Shows, and I've been disappointed by others. A few even achieved the rarely awarded, Bill & Mark's endless rant 5-star rating (7/17/04 - Hampton Ballroom show with TC sitting in and 11/20/09 Calvin to name a couple). And flame me if you will, but I'll take a DSO original show, even with a Row Jimmy > Broken Arrow > Row Jimmy, over a Furthur set any day of the week.

But give me a recreation and I'm back on the mountain. :P

Robs et al - I love you guys. The playing has become too awesome to believe in the past few years. I understand that musicians wanna stir it up, explore their space, get out of the box. And I get it that tons o' fans want to be surprised and get to hear some rare tunes played by the band. And I know that Original means Lisa, whose absence is much to overcome in any 80-90s recreation. :wub:

Now I'm not asking anyone to change a thing about the shows. And I agree with Mangosteen - GO TO MORE SHOWS. And I would go to even more shows if we knew in advance: 60s-70s Recreation; 80s-90s Recreation, Elective Setlist. Carbon footprint be damned -- I'll drive 3 hours farther to see a 60s-70s recreation.

Preveal the Era!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived