What Is It With Weir & El Paso ?

Dr. Vapor

• Forum VIP

Bobby again last night from the report's I saw blew the lyrics to El Paso, after the train wreck at the Nokia a few month's ago where he started the song over after 5 min and then waved the whole song off completly...he even has a computer screen with the lyrics in front of him....I am embarressed for him honestly...I love Bob and I feel sorry for him that people see him struggle night after night.....Dr. V

Bobby again last night from the report's I saw blew the lyrics to El Paso, after the train wreck at the Nokia a few month's ago where he started the song over after 5 min and then waved the whole song off completly...he even has a computer screen with the lyrics in front of him....I am embarressed for him honestly...I love Bob and I feel sorry for him that people see him struggle night after night.....Dr. V

I wasn't there but can speak about Reading and Baltimore because I was there.I saw know one thinking Bobby was struggling,especially NIGHT after NIGHT!!!

A computer screen is not much help when you're dyslexic. I'm proud of him, not letting that nightmare evening deter him. I love you too, Bobby. Keep up the most excellent work.

I did just watch the Black Throated Wind and Looks Like Rain from Baltimore and he sounded better and was more composed....I agree night after night, might not be fare....but the first question i ask friends who go to a Furthur was how was Bob?....

They sure had fun with the end of Shakedown...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cuxivN_rL4

• Forum MVP

My feeling is it's el paso, and well, I'd rather him flub that than basically anything. I guess I saw Garcia at his worst so i am more forgiving. I saw the bt wind and ll rain in baltimore and Bobby absolutely nailed it. Last night's first set was unreal, hearing the Rat in the world's most famous arena, with OUR boy on vocals and lead guitar...

Last night at Madison Square Garden Bobbie did an awesome job, and his Death Don't Have No Mercy was fantastic! As far as I experienced, the only minor disconnect was the very small fraction of lyrics missed in El Paso.

It's been publicly acknowledged that the cause of the Nokia incident had to it other 'dimensions,' so to speak--and to have gone through that in front of so many people (it epitomized in life what is many people's worst nightmare) I can only imagine the conscious and subconscious 'trauma' associated with that song for Bob. It's quite possible that his return to NYC, and to this song, invoked anxieties on whatever level that caused him to repeat what he feared, but thankfully on a much, much smaller scale.

As many know, Bob is dyslexic. Memorizing non-meaningful (not personally relevant) data/information--which lyrics could be categorized as--is extremely difficult for most dyslexic people. This is pure speculation, but I imagine from his earliest years he might have struggled to memorize songs, and those memory patterns (and related cognitive dissonance) may have been impressed in him. Also, Bob is what, 63 years old? I know people his age who don't remember key conversations they had the day before, let alone get up on stage in front of thousands of people and sing long sets of lyrics from memory (or from a video prompter that's difficult if not impossible to read).

I completely admire Bob for his courage to do what he does--and to get back on his dusty saddle after a fall--and I love him for sharing this music and keeping it alive for us all!

This IS Bobby that we are talking about. He has been spacin' lines for years. I personally believe that he has been awesome with Furthur. His voice has been strong and sweet. As for last night, just listen to the Death Don't!!! The guy is still bustin' out sick licks and that is what it is all about for me at least.....

• Forum MVP

Last night at Madison Square Garden Bobbie did an awesome job, and his Death Don't Have No Mercy was fantastic! As far as I experienced, the only minor disconnect was the very small fraction of lyrics missed in El Paso.

It's been publicly acknowledged that the cause of the Nokia incident had to it other 'dimensions,' so to speak--and to have gone through that in front of so many people (it epitomized in life what is many people's worst nightmare) I can only imagine the conscious and subconscious 'trauma' associated with that song for Bob. It's quite possible that his return to NYC, and to this song, invoked anxieties on whatever level that caused him to repeat what he feared, but thankfully on a much, much smaller scale.

As many know, Bob is dyslexic. Memorizing non-meaningful (not personally relevant) data/information--which lyrics could be categorized as--is extremely difficult for most dyslexic people. This is pure speculation, but I imagine from his earliest years he might have struggled to memorize songs, and those memory patterns (and related cognitive dissonance) may have been impressed in him. Also, Bob is what, 63 years old? I know people his age who don't remember key conversations they had the day before, let alone get up on stage in front of thousands of people and sing long sets of lyrics from memory (or from a video prompter that's difficult if not impossible to read).

I completely admire Bob for his courage to do what he does--and to get back on his dusty saddle after a fall--and I love him for sharing this music and keeping it alive for us all!

what she said.....

• Forum MVP

This IS Bobby that we are talking about. He has been spacin' lines for years. I personally believe that he has been awesome with Furthur. His voice has been strong and sweet. As for last night, just listen to the Death Don't!!! The guy is still bustin' out sick licks and that is what it is all about for me at least.....

Bob Weir has always been pretty damn good with lyrics. You'll see him screw up the beginning to Samson and of course he'll have the occasional brain fart on Truckin and yes...El Paso, but overall, Bob Weir with the GD was fairly dead on with his lyrics.

Now that he's singing Garcia's catalog as well, things have changed and his mistakes are much more common but I would still say he's better than most that don't play identical set lists every night (bands like Rush). We'll see if he tries to tackle Mobile again :)...

As far as Weir goes and as far as I know, reports have been pretty fantastic regarding this last year of touring, despite that disaster at the Nokia.

Yes!

....I am embarressed for him honestly...I love Bob and I feel sorry for him that people see him struggle night after night.....Dr. V

Just saw the last five shows and Bobby was on point.....The moment you speak of was just at the last verse i do believe...Lots of pressure i'm sure. It got me watching the stage which is rare.....After the nokia i was bit worried but embarrassing bobby was not...He actually was incredible. Highlights of the five....Hard rain, Death dont, and weather report..... All the shows were historic events. Sorry you missed them. Im sure you would have loved them....

OH YEAH!!!! love you Kimberly!

I think for the most part Bobby has been dead on, at least from the one show I saw (Reading) and listening to just about every show on Archive. Not much basis for judgment, perhaps, but I even think that some of Bobby's erraticness makes him who he is.

One of the things I love about listening to the Dead, especially 80's onward: they're like that goofy bunch of friends you have that all have some tic you don't really like, but it makes them who they are.

Phil: Can't sing a lick, for the most part.

Bobby: F*$# a lyric now and then.

Brent: His entire song catalog, which is 80's cheese but fun to sing along to.

Point being, as long as its not a constant throughout the show, it's almost endearing and a bit of fun.

I think for the most part Bobby has been dead on, at least from the one show I saw (Reading) and listening to just about every show on Archive. Not much basis for judgment, perhaps, but I even think that some of Bobby's erraticness makes him who he is.

One of the things I love about listening to the Dead, especially 80's onward: they're like that goofy bunch of friends you have that all have some tic you don't really like, but it makes them who they are.

Bobby: F*$# a lyric now and then.

Point being, as long as its not a constant throughout the show, it's almost endearing and a bit of fun.

I know we all love this catalog of music with a fervent determination...but I would really love it if we could all honor and respect all the participants ( furthur/DSO) with reverence...It's not that hard to do...and our end game is all the same...I'll be saluting the love on friday...

• Forum MVP

Just saw the last five shows and Bobby was on point.....The moment you speak of was just at the last verse i do believe...Lots of pressure i'm sure. It got me watching the stage which is rare.....After the nokia i was bit worried but embarrassing bobby was not...He actually was incredible. Highlights of the five....Hard rain, Death dont, and weather report..... All the shows were historic events. Sorry you missed them. Im sure you would have loved them....

Good to see ya. Death don't was spectacular and nice call on the el paso at the garden...

• Forum MVP

Ironic part is that Phil's pitch is pretty much spot on and has been his entire musical career. I just don't like his singing voice. Listen to some of his harmonies. He is generally the most pitch perfect one its just that his voice doesn't transfer well to singing lead.

• Forum MVP

One of the things I love about listening to the Dead, especially 80's onward: they're like that goofy bunch of friends you have that all have some tic you don't really like, but it makes them who they

?????????????????????

• Forum MVP

Ironic part is that Phil's pitch is pretty much spot on and has been his entire musical career. I just don't like his singing voice. Listen to some of his harmonies. He is generally the most pitch perfect one its just that his voice doesn't transfer well to singing lead.

I actually love Phil's singing up through the early 70's. He was great at nailing the high harmonies pre-Donna. His vocal work on Attics is stupendous, and you are right his pitch is near perfect.

I also like his lead vocals on his own songs.......Cucomonga, Unbroken, etc. I just have a hard time stomaching his vocal handling of the Jerry material with Furthur......acch!

• Forum MVP

Okay...My first assignment for you is to go to live archives and listen to some versions of two songs called Just a Little Light and Blow Away. Try 2/25/90 and 3/26/90 respectively.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd90-02-25.set2-sbd.white.13142.sbeok.shnf

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1990-03-26.sennME80.wklitz.94411.flac16

Then get back to me. If you feel those songs are 80's cheese then we can disagree and part as friends...but mainly I want you to give them a listen.

Archived