What Is It With Weir & El Paso ?

Dr. Vapor

Okay...My first assignment for you is to go to live archives and listen to some versions of two songs called Just a Little Light and Blow Away. Try 2/25/90 and 3/26/90 respectively.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd90-02-25.set2-sbd.white.13142.sbeok.shnf

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1990-03-26.sennME80.wklitz.94411.flac16

Then get back to me. If you feel those songs are 80's cheese then we can disagree and part as friends...but mainly I want you to give them a listen.

I've always loved "I will take you home". It's a gorgeous song that was performed with so much soul in concert. Most certainly not cheese. It's obviously very personal for Brent.

It's also now very sad to listen to when you think of how he senslessly died and left his little girl without a father.

Dstone--

Never intended for that to be a disrespect to Brent, or his memory. I thought it might be a chance to poke a little fun...I certainly think stuff like "Blow Away" and "Far From Me" is more along that "cheese" route, and "We Can Run" feels like such a "SAVE THE RAINFOREST!" song it only could have come out in the late 80's.

Didn't think anyone was going to be offended by that statement. Seemed pretty innocuous at the time.

Cheese isn't necessarily bad. KISS is totally cheesy and I get guilty pleasure from their music. Half the goofy s*%& Phish does is cheesy and funny to me. Hell, the jokes the GD told on stage? Terribly cheesy. Doesn't mean I don't necessarily enjoy it.

And yes, I'm familiar with the tunes you mentioned.

• Forum MVP

Dstone--

Never intended for that to be a disrespect to Brent, or his memory. I thought it might be a chance to poke a little fun...I certainly think stuff like "Blow Away" and "Far From Me" is more along that "cheese" route, and "We Can Run" feels like such a "SAVE THE RAINFOREST!" song it only could have come out in the late 80's.

Didn't think anyone was going to be offended by that statement. Seemed pretty innocuous at the time.

Cheese isn't necessarily bad. KISS is totally cheesy and I get guilty pleasure from their music. Half the goofy s*%& Phish does is cheesy and funny to me. Hell, the jokes the GD told on stage? Terribly cheesy. Doesn't mean I don't necessarily enjoy it.

And yes, I'm familiar with the tunes you mentioned.

Fair enough...

I don't think I was offended, but you calling Brent's entire catalog cheesy was a little wacky to my way of thinking. I get how you could think his early stuff was 'cheesy' like Far From Me or Easy to Love You (I disagree but can understand that perspective) but the later stuff? Those are just great songs, no matter how anyone regards the lyrics (which are NOT written by Brent by the way). I know it was in vogue to diss them back then to be a cool head and some of them like We Can Run have some pretty obvious lyrics, but lots of folks (regarding that song) thought it needed to be said, regardless of its lack of subtlety. And Garcia seemed to fucking love playing them, whatever the lyrcis were.

The melodies are what's stunning to my ears in the newer songs from Mydland.

I happen to be a fan of Barlow's lyrics too, but maybe I'm less jaded than you...or... just more of a sucker. :)

But you are right in that you can enjoy a song even if you think it's 'cheesy.' That's probably why people like Bro Esau, Picasso Moon and say...Built to Last (forced myself to mention a Garcia/Hunter tune there....and it wasn't easy or painless--but wanted it to be less obvious than Day Job).

• Advisory Board

Brent was God.

Far From Me and Blow Away were highlights of any show as were almost any Brent tune we were lucky enough to have played for us.

The interaction of Brent and Jerry was magical and surpassed any other interactions that Jerry had with any other band member in the Brent era.

It was in vogue to not like Brent while he was alive, but to me he was right there with Jerry and I loved every note he played and every song that he sung.

Just my 2 cents.

Dr. B B)

• Forum MVP

Brent was God.

Far From Me and Blow Away were highlights of any show as were almost any Brent tune we were lucky enough to have played for us.

The interaction of Brent and Jerry was magical and surpassed any other interactions that Jerry had with any other band member in the Brent era.

It was in vogue to not like Brent while he was alive, but to me he was right there with Jerry and I loved every note he played and every song that he sung.

Just my 2 cents.

Dr. B B)

Felt and feel the exact same way , DR.B !!!

Archived