Regency Ballroom

Tea

• Forum MVP

David Gans's comments on the DSO shows......

http://cloudsurfing.gdhour.com/archives/3844

"I spent the last two evenings with Dark Star Orchestra at the Regency Ballroom in San Francisco. Friday night they played 6/7/77, very much in the band

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

the train is off the tracks

-e

Jeez Ellen.... thats a pretty heavy statement. I couldn't disagree more..... but I am interested to know what you mean by that. Please expound. I promise you won't be chastised for stating your opinion... not by me at least. Peace.

Those who know me

know I bring alot

and y'all ain't ready to hear what I have to say

I was at both SF shows and Sacto

bagged on Tahoe

will give Vegas one more try

I am working a full length post to come later

it will not be what you want to hear

no love fest here

sorry folks

-e

Really? Seriously? Good luck with that!!!! Can a party of 1 be classified as a minority?

FWIW Ellen, a part of me may completely agree with you. It will be interesting to get your take. I was in Sac as well and have been unable to properly craft my response either. Granted, this was my first time seeing Jeff in DSO and it's surely an effect of my inability to adapt after 10 yrs of DSO... but it does feel different.

Still the best band out there for sure. But different nonetheless....

Jeez Ellen.... thats a pretty heavy statement. I couldn't disagree more..... but I am interested to know what you mean by that. Please expound. I promise you won't be chastised for stating your opinion... not by me at least. Peace.

Promising acceptance of others opinions is rather broad and from recent "DSO boards" comments, I'll believe it when I see it.

But here's hoping for the best.

I'm glad to hear from someone who isn't afraid to speak up and state their "real" opinion. Not just go along with the crowd...

I'm again left curious.

Regards,

Curious DSO fan

Those who know me

know I bring alot

bagged on Tahoe

no love fest here

sorry folks

-e

I look forward to hearing your take on all this. I very much enjoyed the one show I saw (first night SF). At the same time, I did find myself missing what JK brought to the band at certain points. One example that jumped out at me was He's Gone, where JK would do that soulful repeating decending-note riff right after the last of the vocals (sorry if that description doesn't get across what I'm thinking about). Jerry did that same riff, and I was really ready to hear it, but it didn't materialize. JM brings a somewhat different and more aggressive sound to the mix to my ears. This is not necessarly better or worse--only different. I had gotten used to hearing JK, and I suppose this is why I prefer that sound at present. I am still getting used to hearing Jeff. I'll also add that I was much more impressed with Jeff's vocals than I had been on most of the tapes I had heard, This was a very pleasant surprise for me. All in all, I was very happy with what I experienced, and look forward to seeing DSO next time they are in the bay area. Please let us know your reactions. All viewpoints are valid as far as I'm concerned.

• Forum MVP

I look forward to hearing your take on all this. I very much enjoyed the one show I saw (first night SF). At the same time, I did find myself missing what JK brought to the band at certain points. One example that jumped out at me was He's Gone, where JK would do that soulful repeating decending-note riff right after the last of the vocals (sorry if that description doesn't get across what I'm thinking about). Jerry did that same riff, and I was really ready to hear it, but it didn't materialize. JM brings a somewhat different and more aggressive sound to the mix to my ears. This is not necessarly better or worse--only different. I had gotten used to hearing JK, and I suppose this is why I prefer that sound at present. I am still getting used to hearing Jeff. I'll also add that I was much more impressed with Jeff's vocals than I had been on most of the tapes I had heard, This was a very pleasant surprise for me. All in all, I was very happy with what I experienced, and look forward to seeing DSO next time they are in the bay area. Please let us know your reactions. All viewpoints are valid as far as I'm concerned.

Change sucks. It either gets you or it doesn't... (the music)

I was a Stu guy, think Matteson brings it in many ways, but has yet to rip my soul open. I'll keep coming till it happens....

I think the trains on a new track..... I only saw the second show @ the regency. I thought it was one of the most rocking DSO shows I've ever seen. Mattson shreds for sure......I must say that DSO with JK was lots more than just rocking and shredding to me....It moved me in a way that this new DSO did not. In the past years I have gone to 25 or 30 shows a year experiencing some of the most enlightening music....It looks like I will only make it to the Regency this time around. It was really fun and I thought Robs pigpen material was the highlight. I also was really impressed with Mattsons vocals. He sings great. Its a whole new sound and Im stoked for DSO to still be bringing such an awesome show.

Guest crazy digits

One person's opinion matters to themselves ( obviously ) but should it matter to anyone else? Do you really give a shit that I don't like sardines? really!

One person won't derail the train.

• Forum MVP

Those who know me

know I bring alot

bagged on Tahoe

no love fest here

sorry folks

-e

Wow. I am intrigued by the very contrarian opinion which should be at least be respected even if most don't share it. I just wonder if there were circumstances surrounding or during the show that changed the level of enjoyment of it. I can tell you that I (and probably you too) have endured: loud-talkers, pre-conceived expectations, beer spillers, nazi security, dance police, and very personal struggles that affected how much I embraced the musical experience. Sometimes these things weighed too heavily on me, and sometimes the experience was so great that the music helped me not focus on nay unwanted distractions. At the end of the day, these negative distractions never made me think that the band still wasn

I'm gonna need some xanax for this one ... hold on till I pick up a script .... thanks to all in advance :wacko:

"not feeling the love" - exactly

wish i could completely articulate why

working on it - more to come

"but has yet to rip my soul open" - exactly Steve - could not have said it better

its not MOVING me

"DSO with JK was lots more than just rocking and shredding to me....It moved me in a way that this new DSO did not"

Again - sometimes my friends can say it better than I can

DSO w/Stu MOVED me, with JK too but 8 shows and counting and not much movement lately

"more aggressive sound"

too much crescendo to nowhere

not enough finesse

it feels forced

I am bored

I want FRESH

I want it to Breathe Life

I understand that is a tall order

but I am a demanding girl

I am not saying they are not talented musicians

and they are obviously playing their hearts out

but I am not dancing

so something is wrong

and its not whats going on in the audience

no I was not annoyed by talkers or drunks or security etc

I had plenty of space to dance, it was flat and the sound was adequate

but there I am standing watching bored night after night

when Lisa singing backup vocals on Round and Round is the highlight of my SF weekend

I start wondering what is lacking

I am working on a comprehensive post

to come later post tour

get your xanax out

it is going to ruffle feathers

hope you can keep your pants on and not attack me for not joining the lovefest

those of you who know me know I have been doing this GD thing for life so

none of this is light to me

it is serious business and I take it very seriously

so more later

-e

• Forum MVP

"not feeling the love" - exactly

wish i could completely articulate why

working on it - more to come

"but has yet to rip my soul open" - exactly Steve - could not have said it better

its not MOVING me

"DSO with JK was lots more than just rocking and shredding to me....It moved me in a way that this new DSO did not"

Again - sometimes my friends can say it better than I can

DSO w/Stu MOVED me, with JK too but 8 shows and counting and not much movement lately

"more aggressive sound"

too much crescendo to nowhere

not enough finesse

it feels forced

I am bored

I want FRESH

I want it to Breathe Life

I understand that is a tall order

but I am a demanding girl

I am not saying they are not talented musicians

and they are obviously playing their hearts out

but I am not dancing

so something is wrong

and its not whats going on in the audience

no I was not annoyed by talkers or drunks or security etc

I had plenty of space to dance, it was flat and the sound was adequate

but there I am standing watching bored night after night

when Lisa singing backup vocals on Round and Round is the highlight of my SF weekend

I start wondering what is lacking

to come later post tour

get your xanax out

hope you can keep your pants on and not attack me for not joining the lovefest

those of you who know me know I have been doing this GD thing for life so

none of this is light to me

it is serious business and I take it very seriously

so more later

-e

Honestly it probably wont ruffle anything...it certainly wont stop those of us who are loving the music from continuing to do so. You have a every right to dislike what is happening, but if you say you are bored, standing still(and I know how you dance), then maybe you shouldn't go at all. But who am I to tell you this? You already skipped one planned show so I think you are on the same wavelength. I didn't mean to start a barrage on you, I apologize, was just a little shocked though to see your response. Keep on keepin on and I hope to see you and bobby soon. much love.

:cheers::dsorocks::cheers:

• Forum MVP

to come later post tour

get your xanax out

-e

and I just got my feathers all perked up for the holidaze ... no worries Ellen , I love ya sweetheart ... :) xanax ready ;)

Honestly it probably wont ruffle anything...it certainly wont stop those of us who are loving the music from continuing to do so. You have a every right to dislike what is happening, but if you say you are bored, standing still(and I know how you dance), then maybe you shouldn't go at all. But who am I to tell you this? You already skipped one planned show so I think you are on the same wavelength. I didn't mean to start a barrage on you, I apologize, was just a little shocked though to see your response. Keep on keepin on and I hope to see you and bobby soon. much love.

:cheers::dsorocks::cheers:

sorry to shake your tree

I stood around at a lot of GD shows too

sorry I can't swallow it whole

I have always been a super critic

its not like I didn't dance at all

just not how I want

or what I am capable of being moved to

wish I was dancing

believe you me

• Forum MVP

FWIW Ellen, a part of me may completely agree with you. It will be interesting to get your take. I was in Sac as well and have been unable to properly craft my response either. Granted, this was my first time seeing Jeff in DSO and it's surely an effect of my inability to adapt after 10 yrs of DSO... but it does feel different.

Still the best band out there for sure. But different nonetheless....

I REALLY wish you had been at the Avalon show Randy...tell Michelle I may not ever forgive her!

• Forum MVP

Ellen

I'm sorry that the shows did not move you to the fullest extent that this music is capable of moving you - those that know you, know that this music means a lot to you and that you are very passionate about the music. I hope with time that this new incarnation of DSO will be capable of moving you to the same, yet different degreee than the previous DSO did. I would urge you to continue to see DSO when you can and give them a chance. I do understand that it is different.

Now to my own expereience over the past year regarding this music and this new incarnation of DSO

I'm not going to rehash how much I felt and still continue to feel and be captivated by JK as a guitarist and a singer. When JK left DSO and Furthur did not give me the totality of the experience I was looking for (they exceed my expectations for the most part now), I was dissapointed that I no longer seemed to be able to lose myself completely in the music and the moment at a DSO show. After all, I never saw the GD and my entire experience as a Deadhead and growing to love this music was delivered primarily by DSO. Yes, I saw the Dead, Phil and Friends, and Ratdog, but none of those bands truly captured the sound and feel of the GD to me. DSO did and I went back over and over and over again. I must admit that recordings were also a big part of this experience, but for me, the GD is a live in the moment experience that can not be truly felt listening to an your IPOD or laptop speakers, The hours on the highway or in transit to the next show, the city, the venue, the people at the show, and most importantly, the music complete and make up the experience for me. At first, I just didn't feel it at DSO shows anymore. I would say, with the exception of New Years, the first 10 to 15 shows I caught with JM just did not completely deliver the experience to me. I would agree with Ellen and others in their experession that I just didn't feel it. The amount of shows I was catching on each tour started to dwindle and my motivation to get in the car and drive obsessively for one show or for the next show was essentially lost. The most I travelled to see DSO was for the Stu shows out West. Disappointed in CO, but extremely pleased in Selona Beach. So pleased after the Selona shows, I wanted and hoped that Stu would be selected as the permanent replacement for JK. This turned out not to be the case and although I was disappointed by the decision at the time, this new incarnation of DSO w JM slowly started to deliver the expertience for me.

I would like to note here that Furthur's failure and DSO's failure to initially deliver the experience may not have been the fault of the musicians or the music, or the selection of songs,. In fact, it is quite possible that it had nothing to do with external factors and may have been caused by some form of necessary grieving period. I was really into DSO with JK. Things were perfect and I did not want to embrace change and even after it happend, I hoped things would reverse themselves. At this point in time, I do not believe a reversal is possible and I think Herdy's comment made that clear. I think thats a shame and I hope that someday JK and members of DSO will make music again because they were extremely gifted at doingso together. However, the hope appears futile as niether DSO or JK appears to want that in their future, although I do not know the innerworkings of any their minds. I agree with Bix that there is no need for negativity and I don't know why people continue to find in necessary to bash on JK or Furthur. If there not for you, then there just not for you. No big deal and certainly no need to make inciteful negative comments for the sake of making inciteful negative comments. Let's try to keep the discourse around here honest and open about one'es experience. The negativity makes some people uneasy about sharing their opinions and that hurts the ability of those not at a show to truly get a feel for the show. The truth is not made up of anyone's singular perception on an event, but the collective perception of all rational minds experiencing the event. I may be going out on limb to say all those in attendance at a concert are of rational mind, but nonetheless, I believe that in order to get the totatlity of the experience those not in attendance deserve to hear the negative with the positive. Go ahead call me GAYTARD or dump some of your negative crap on my comment. Your comments don't prevent me from sharing my true feelings, but they might prevent others. Be careful about the atmosphere and environment being created on this forum and whether or not that is best for us as a community to receive information about this music we all love.

Now back to my own experience. I don't want to spend much time talking about Furthur, but my experience and appreciation for them turned at some point in July. Although I still wish they would let JK sing Brokedown, I think they deliver an amazing experience in the evolution of Phil's and Bobby's contibution to the GD. I even enjoy some of their new material. This last tour with the exception of Cincinatti all the shows I saw deivered a fulfilling experience. I immensely enjoyed seeing JK play MSG and I feel Furthur dekuvered for those in attandance. The turning point for DSO came post Gratefulfest. Although I had a great time at Gfest and the event is still the highlight of the summer, the music from DSO did not completely do "it" for me. However, I caught the first few shows of the next tour and Huntington, WV, especially the Scarlett-Fire was dynamite. This helped me realize that some of the other previously performed Scarlett-Fire by DSO w JM were dynamite. I still can't say every DSO show I see is a hit, but they continue to surprise me and some shows truly deliver the experience for me. I particularly enjoyed the 2 69 shows I saw and I feel like the early stuff is more in the wheelhouse of this incarnation of DSO. I do not feel the same about this bands treatment of the 80s material. Both DSO and Furthur have seemed to take the some of the slower more subtle moments out of the music in favor of in your face power stuff. That doesn't always appeal to me. The bar was set very high Jerry and the boys. Even someone who never saw Jerry play can feel and to some degree understand his greatness through the vast collection of his recorded performances. Some were better than others, but they were truly a special product and the music they made touches me more deeply than any other facet of my life. I just can't get enough of it and although at one point, I thought that JK was essential to that experience, I have come to realize that for me the music and not the singer is what moves me. I try to see this music whenever I can regardless of whose playing it. Splintered Sunlight has become a great outlet for me to dance and share in the music of the GD. I am happy that the music continues to move me. See you guys down the line. I will be in Ca on Thursday and I will hopefully be attending Thursday through Sunday's shows.

Ellen

I'm sorry that the shows did not move you to the fullest extent that this music is capable of moving you - those that know you, know that this music means a lot to you and that you are very passionate about the music. I hope with time that this new incarnation of DSO will be capable of moving you to the same, yet different degreee than the previous DSO did. I would urge you to continue to see DSO when you can and give them a chance. I do understand that it is different.

Now to my own expereience over the past year regarding this music and this new incarnation of DSO

I'm not going to rehash how much I felt and still continue to feel and be captivated by JK as a guitarist and a singer. When JK left DSO and Furthur did not give me the totality of the experience I was looking for (they exceed my expectations for the most part now), I was dissapointed that I no longer seemed to be able to lose myself completely in the music and the moment at a DSO show. After all, I never saw the GD and my entire experience as a Deadhead and growing to love this music was delivered primarily by DSO. Yes, I saw the Dead, Phil and Friends, and Ratdog, but none of those bands truly captured the sound and feel of the GD to me. DSO did and I went back over and over and over again. I must admit that recordings were also a big part of this experience, but for me, the GD is a live in the moment experience that can not be truly felt listening to an your IPOD or laptop speakers, The hours on the highway or in transit to the next show, the city, the venue, the people at the show, and most importantly, the music complete and make up the experience for me. At first, I just didn't feel it at DSO shows anymore. I would say, with the exception of New Years, the first 10 to 15 shows I caught with JM just did not completely deliver the experience to me. I would agree with Ellen and others in their experession that I just didn't feel it. The amount of shows I was catching on each tour started to dwindle and my motivation to get in the car and drive obsessively for one show or for the next show was essentially lost. The most I travelled to see DSO was for the Stu shows out West. Disappointed in CO, but extremely pleased in Selona Beach. So pleased after the Selona shows, I wanted and hoped that Stu would be selected as the permanent replacement for JK. This turned out not to be the case and although I was disappointed by the decision at the time, this new incarnation of DSO w JM slowly started to deliver the expertience for me.

I would like to note here that Furthur's failure and DSO's failure to initially deliver the experience may not have been the fault of the musicians or the music, or the selection of songs,. In fact, it is quite possible that it had nothing to do with external factors and may have been caused by some form of necessary grieving period. I was really into DSO with JK. Things were perfect and I did not want to embrace change and even after it happend, I hoped things would reverse themselves. At this point in time, I do not believe a reversal is possible and I think Herdy's comment made that clear. I think thats a shame and I hope that someday JK and members of DSO will make music again because they were extremely gifted at doingso together. However, the hope appears futile as niether DSO or JK appears to want that in their future, although I do not know the innerworkings of any their minds. I agree with Bix that there is no need for negativity and I don't know why people continue to find in necessary to bash on JK or Furthur. If there not for you, then there just not for you. No big deal and certainly no need to make inciteful negative comments for the sake of making inciteful negative comments. Let's try to keep the discourse around here honest and open about one'es experience. The negativity makes some people uneasy about sharing their opinions and that hurts the ability of those not at a show to truly get a feel for the show. The truth is not made up of anyone's singular perception on an event, but the collective perception of all rational minds experiencing the event. I may be going out on limb to say all those in attendance at a concert are of rational mind, but nonetheless, I believe that in order to get the totatlity of the experience those not in attendance deserve to hear the negative with the positive. Go ahead call me GAYTARD or dump some of your negative crap on my comment. Your comments don't prevent me from sharing my true feelings, but they might prevent others. Be careful about the atmosphere and environment being created on this forum and whether or not that is best for us as a community to receive information about this music we all love.

Now back to my own experience. I don't want to spend much time talking about Furthur, but my experience and appreciation for them turned at some point in July. Although I still wish they would let JK sing Brokedown, I think they deliver an amazing experience in the evolution of Phil's and Bobby's contibution to the GD. I even enjoy some of their new material. This last tour with the exception of Cincinatti all the shows I saw deivered a fulfilling experience. I immensely enjoyed seeing JK play MSG and I feel Furthur dekuvered for those in attandance. The turning point for DSO came post Gratefulfest. Although I had a great time at Gfest and the event is still the highlight of the summer, the music from DSO did not completely do "it" for me. However, I caught the first few shows of the next tour and Huntington, WV, especially the Scarlett-Fire was dynamite. This helped me realize that some of the other previously performed Scarlett-Fire by DSO w JM were dynamite. I still can't say every DSO show I see is a hit, but they continue to surprise me and some shows truly deliver the experience for me. I particularly enjoyed the 2 69 shows I saw and I feel like the early stuff is more in the wheelhouse of this incarnation of DSO. I do not feel the same about this bands treatment of the 80s material. Both DSO and Furthur have seemed to take the some of the slower more subtle moments out of the music in favor of in your face power stuff. That doesn't always appeal to me. The bar was set very high Jerry and the boys. Even someone who never saw Jerry play can feel and to some degree understand his greatness through the vast collection of his recorded performances. Some were better than others, but they were truly a special product and the music they made touches me more deeply than any other facet of my life. I just can't get enough of it and although at one point, I thought that JK was essential to that experience, I have come to realize that for me the music and not the singer is what moves me. I try to see this music whenever I can regardless of whose playing it. Splintered Sunlight has become a great outlet for me to dance and share in the music of the GD. I am happy that the music continues to move me. See you guys down the line. I will be in Ca on Thursday and I will hopefully be attending Thursday through Sunday's shows.

I didn't know this was a essay question

but yours is definitely the best turned in so far

and that's why we send you to Georgetown right?

Ellen

Good read.

Archived