West Coast Tour

Guest L~Cat

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jazz-man

A little over a month until Bellingham show (B'ham is a pretty cool small college, I used to go there once in awhile to the Three B Tavern and play some pool and have a few glasses of brew which they make there). The venue looks like a nice old theater, the style of building of which I am fond of as opposed to a box with sound not being a major issue. Man I am looking forward to this run :)

The day Jerry died I went down to B'ham from Vancouver to a little head shop that sold lots of GD tie dyes and incense and posters and stuff. Bought a T-shirt and wrapped it in Nag Champa and it was my special Jerry day T, I still have it. Being there helped me get through that very bad day.

• Forum MVP

I just wanted to echo what jazz-man said above---that Bellingham is a great town and should be a sweet place to catch the band "right out of the gates" for kicking off the west coast run...

I go over to B'ham several times a year and it's always a great vibe and I have been at the Mt. Baker Theater and it IS a spectacular venue--amazing ornate artwork and very well taken care of.

Rob E. was pretty vocal on stage last year about how much he dug the "small town" vibe when they played Olympia (with Stu) so I can only imagine he (and hopefully the rest of the band) will be fired up to crank it out in this town and in this sweet old theater. I, too, am totally psyched for the NW run especially since it has been a full year since the band has made it up into this neck o' the woods. AND the fact that we haven't had a dose of Jeff yet--although Stu was truly great to see/hear last year (maybe we are the last part of the country that DSO regularly tours to that hasn't seen Jeff yet????). Maybe if we're lucky, we'll get a 69 show in the mix between Oregon or Washington (I could see Eugene being the spot to pull that out of the hat!) :rolleyes:

Was lucky enough to catch Jeff and Rob B. in the Zen Tricksters back in the late 90's for a few years in a row at the Crystal Ballroom New Years' Eve shows in Portland, so I am aware of how "out of bounds" Jeff can take the jams, but I've been going nuts trying to be patient to see him play with DSO....(was a huge JK fan as well...)....appreciating the recent posts to youtube, etc...

Finally, I wanted to say that I am a first time poster here, but long time reader of the forums (not sure what took me so long!) and I really appreciate the overall kind and positive vibes that continually come through on posts throughout the forums and I'm REALLY thankful to all the folks who go out of their way to promptly kick out the setlists and reviews of shows that they were just at....it's really nice to keep right up on the tails of this incredible band and music.

Peace Ya'll

Guest jazz-man

Welcome! I have to ask: the State Theater is all seats...is there going to be room to dance? Do most folks just stand up by their seat and dance? Can we dance in the aisles? Looking forward to some fun and mischief and dancing and meeting more of you folks! Cheers.

• Forum MVP

I'm pretty sure you meant the "Mt. Baker Theater" rather than State Theater and yes, the MBT is all fixed seating, but they normally end up allowing dancing in the aisles, etc. It's a much more formal scene there than what most of us are used to (lots of ushers in red suitcoats), but they can roll with what's gonna happen.....

I must say when I first started hearing word of a show in B'ham, I assumed it would be at the Wild Buffalo---(a large bar venue with good dance shows) and I was pretty surprised (but psyched!) to hear that it would be MBT---especially on a Wednesday night for a relatively small town (the MBT holds over 1500)....but then again, it is a groovy college town and hopefully there'll be lots of BC folks comin' down to help fill the place,,,eh'? Better sound in there with more humans....very good sound in general has been my experience,,,,slightly sloped on main floor (not as steep as Eugene) and steeper up in the balcony.

I'd be surprised if it's a sellout because of the capacity and mid week (maybe they close off the balcony for smaller crowds?) although I have noticed that the theater has been advertising this show pretty hard since January (in local papers and apparently on B'ham radio stations as well...). I'll slip a post in the travelers forum about a recommendation on a good, economical place to stay for whoever needs it...

The theater website gives you a pretty good flavor of the beauty of this theater:

http://www.mountbakertheatre.com/venues/main-stage

I'd say if anyone out there is trying to decide whether to start the run in Seattle vs. Bellingham....go to B'ham---I suspect you won't be disappointed! B)B)

Guest jazz-man

Oops. my bad, Mt. Baker Theater it is. Good to hear they'll let folks dance because otherwise it would be weird :) I think I'm in the 3rd row right, something like that. Good looking venue!

Guest Lisacat

Oops. my bad, Mt. Baker Theater it is. Good to hear they'll let folks dance because otherwise it would be weird smile.gif I think I'm in the 3rd row right, something like that. Good looking venue!

first night they let me out to play, I sure hope they let people dance, because the alternative will not be pleasant...

129036286031457378.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Two weeks to lift-off out west......YEE HAWWW!!!!!

Is the NW the last part of the country (that's on regular touring schedule) that hasn't seen Jeff w/ the band yet? It seems so, and I mentioned it earlier on this post, but wondering if someone can confirm that....

Stu was fun to see last year, but I find myself CHOMPING at the BIT to get rocked then rolled by the band with Jeff on the lead in a couple weeks....

By the way,,,Mt. Baker THeater in B'ham will be serving alcohol...but only out in the lobby area, and it's not allowed in the actual theater which I think can create a nice balance (considering the other thread about folks talking during the music...) :P

Been a long wait all winter for this music dose!

• Forum MVP

what started as a call to visit friends ended up as us getting to pretty much go on DSO tour already this year (a run at least!).... um, YAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!! we made plans to go see friends in cali, then saw the tour dates, and with Reno stuck in there on our way back home here to CO, we are pretty much just beside ourselves with excitement that we will be at all the shows from arcata on (maybe not santa cruz, maybe so lol).... and that is just about the most amazing thing I have realized thus far this year!

last time we were out there, it kept us from seeing DSO in the midwest with good friends, so I kinda feel like fate had a helping hand in making the schedules line up.... after all, we had planned to be at furthur out east. so much for plans, this is the kind of change I always welcome :) every time we go see DSO, I feel like my life becomes brighter (and my head more knowledgeable about grateful dead) and i am in need for my dosage ASAP. yay west coast tour (hey, we did northeast last summer, have seen many southeast shows, guess it is about time... hear the vibes at DSO west coast are pretty remarkable and that is exactly what we need right now!)

we leave sometime next week , can't wait to see you all out there.... glad to know you and your pretty lady will be there, too, Mango, Lisacat we can't wait to dance with you again, and I can't wait to meet those of you we haven't met yet :) Chuck, if we don't see you at some point before we come home I am going to CRY CRY CRY. and if anyone is trying to linger in CO after the shows, don't hesitate to contact us, the weather is beautiful and we would love to hang out :)

love!

~mrs. d

Guest Lisacat
<BR>(maybe not santa cruz, maybe so lol).... <BR>
<BR><BR><BR>you want to experience the west coast vibe? Santa cruz will be the best place to do so.... (or at least IMHO).  Arcata will be fun- young crowd, college kids (though glad its 21+), lots of dreadies, probably packed. Though the only two times I've see DSO in humboldt it was on 420 which of course is quite the holiday in those parts, so it may not be quite as packed in. On the other hand, the college is right there this time since they are playing in Arcata, not Eureka, so that could also fill it in more.  Last time up there I ended up in the lobby as it was almost unbearable on the floor for me. Never been to the Arcata theatre...imagine similar to Eureka- an old theatre with seats ripped out.  Hopefully not a slanted floor.<BR><BR>GAMH will be great because its SF but there will be the city vibe going on and some folks with entitlement complexes ...it gets packed in there as well (I think capacity is only like 600). I love it there though as long as I have a little space- much different than seeing them at the Fillmore (btw I miss seeing shows there!) or Regency.<BR><BR>Santa cruz will have the best dancing crowd of any of those shows.....those santa cruzers, they like to boogie ;-)

Guest jazz-man

It's exciting to read about folks hitting the NW and west coast! Soon, soon...I've yet to see jeff with the band and now I'll have 4 shows in 4 days :) My kinda schedule.

• Forum MVP

Just for the heck of it...does anyone have any guesses at what they'll be playing during the NW run next week?

Methinks (mehopes!) there's likely to be at least 1 elective (maybe Bellingham?) as well as a 69'er in the mix somewhere (Eugene, or maybe Portland?)...

I hesitate to project more into it than that, but whatever they dish up,,,,it'll be some mighty fine nourishment after a long winter up in this here neck o' the woods...

Can't wait.....

Archived