West Coast Tour

Guest L~Cat

Guest Lisacat

I'm a little surprised to hear you say this. I think it's a terrible venue...Is it all about the lobby? Cause it wasn't loud enough out there and the iights were rather bright. I'll take the crytsal ballrom anyday over that place.

You know I think its ALL about the Eugene vibe. I LOVE the oregon crowd and the dancers there....they make the show for me. And then of course the band has always been on fire there. I think there is really good energy within those walls- real old school psychedelic Kesey family wholesome GD vibe.

Now with all that said. The BEST show I've ever been to in Pac NW (talking whole package music, energy, venue, etc) was in Ashland. Best crowd hands down- all those dancers from williams just rock. Really kind folks in that neck of the woods. And the venue was just a big room with a hardwood floor sans alcohol.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jazz-man

Dance police? At a DSO show? That's just wrong. I'm not sure if the Crystal ended up putting up the rooftop smoking lounge, I think they said they were going to because they were losing business. I know of several people who won't go to the Crystal for that reason. I hope they get it together because it is a sweet venue and usually sells out and the McMenamin brothers are good people.

• Forum MVP

Dance police? At a DSO show? That's just wrong. I'm not sure if the Crystal ended up putting up the rooftop smoking lounge, I think they said they were going to because they were losing business. I know of several people who won't go to the Crystal for that reason. I hope they get it together because it is a sweet venue and usually sells out and the McMenamin brothers are good people.

I've heard some bad rap on the Crystal, namely that you can't leave to smoke and that you can only drink on one half of the venue. Well I don't smoke(at least not cigarretes), and I personally like the separation of drinkers from non-drinkers. Less drink spillage on the dance floor- which to me(the dance floor) is the most important factor. Which is why the crystal rocks!

Guest Lisacat

I've heard some bad rap on the Crystal, namely that you can't leave to smoke and that you can only drink on one half of the venue. Well I don't smoke(at least not cigarretes), and I personally like the separation of drinkers from non-drinkers. Less drink spillage on the dance floor- which to me(the dance floor) is the most important factor. Which is why the crystal rocks!

hard to move energy through a barrier.....but its not that I don't like the crystal! I've had great shows there! And not sooooo great.....one of the scariest moments of my life happened there so perhaps thats why I'm not so lovey dovey with it smile.gif

• Forum MVP

hard to move energy through a barrier.....but its not that I don't like the crystal! I've had great shows there! And not sooooo great.....one of the scariest moments of my life happened there so perhaps thats why I'm not so lovey dovey with it smile.gif

I hear ya. It is like being at two different shows when you switch from one side to another. I guess I just really like the bouncy floor. A lot. :cheers:

Guest Lisacat

To get back to the original topic....

...setting my sights on the three night run in SF. Anyone else?

The bouncy floor prevents me from drinking too much hehe otherwise I'll bounce into everyone else!

And you may as well come a day early for the catalyst show! Cheaper to fly on a wed anyhow!

• Forum MVP

To get back to the original topic....

...setting my sights on the three night run in SF. Anyone else?

I think I am just going to have to fly out for these shows. Never been to the Great American Music Hall and can't think of a better three shows to see!

Guest jazz-man

I'm not a fan of the barrier between drinkers and non-drinkers but I sure appreciate not having beer all over the floor on the stage side of the room. Sometimes the Crystal is oversold, true. And the no readmission policy stinks because, as I pointed out to the Crystal people, the Macdonald lets you re-enter and smoke on the sidewalk. I like being on the rail for the first set and back by Chuck for set two (more room to dance). One time there I drank someone else's water by accident and got dosed. Here's to lightning striking twice! :)

• Forum MVP

I think I am just going to have to fly out for these shows. Never been to the Great American Music Hall and can't think of a better three shows to see!

Me either. Hoping to find some way for me and deb to fly for less than 800$...unlikely from philly I think. Either way I think i'm gonna make this one happen. SF was a blast last time(09). Lets get a house again!! :cheers:

SF was a blast last time(09). Lets get a house again!! :cheers:

Hell yea!! I rented a flat once on Ashbury 5-8 houses from Haight for 5 nights rather than a hotel downtown. I wasn't a tourist anymore I was a resident! At least if felt that way to me.

I'm window shopping the last 3 weekends of this west coast run. Poking around looking at airline tickets, hotels, etc. Thinking of taking 40 hours of vacation and also going skiing after the shows. All 3 weekends can have great April Skiing.

I have never been to the Pacific Northwest. I would catch 4 shows and ski Whistler. Only negative is the drive from Eugene to Whistler.

I love San Fransico. Easy drive to Tahoe plus I would obviously go to the Reno DSO date too. I could actually catch 5 shows if I got into town that Wednesday which is possible.

I love Colorado. Cheap flights to Denver. Easy to get to the slopes. Only negative is I only get 3 shows. This would be my 3rd choice with the other 2 neck and neck.

Anyway, like I said I'm just window shopping right now. If I went to every show I checked a hotel in the area I would have a pretty sweet life. Oh wait, I guess I wouldn't have a job, money, or a wife though.

Signed,

Hoping to come out West this spring

Hell yea!! I rented a flat once on Ashbury 5-8 houses from Haight for 5 nights rather than a hotel downtown. I wasn't a tourist anymore I was a resident! At least if felt that way to me.

I'm window shopping the last 3 weekends of this west coast run. Poking around looking at airline tickets, hotels, etc. Thinking of taking 40 hours of vacation and also going skiing after the shows. All 3 weekends can have great April Skiing.

I have never been to the Pacific Northwest. I would catch 4 shows and ski Whistler. Only negative is the drive from Eugene to Whistler.

I love San Fransico. Easy drive to Tahoe plus I would obviously go to the Reno DSO date too. I could actually catch 5 shows if I got into town that Wednesday which is possible.

I love Colorado. Cheap flights to Denver. Easy to get to the slopes. Only negative is I only get 3 shows. This would be my 3rd choice with the other 2 neck and neck.

Anyway, like I said I'm just window shopping right now. If I went to every show I checked a hotel in the area I would have a pretty sweet life. Oh wait, I guess I wouldn't have a job, money, or a wife though.

Eugene to Whistler is a haul. Sounds like too much work to me. If you hit the PNW shows, just ski Hood or Bachelor after Eugene and fly back out of PDX. Obviously, GAMH and Tahoe should be your first choice....

Signed,

Eugene to Whistler is a haul. Sounds like too much work to me. If you hit the PNW shows, just ski Hood or Bachelor after Eugene and fly back out of PDX. Obviously, GAMH and Tahoe should be your first choice....

Signed,

Signed,

Silly smartphone...

Eugene to Whistler is a haul. Sounds like too much work to me. If you hit the PNW shows, just ski Hood or Bachelor and fly back out of PDX. Obviously GAMH and Tahoe should be your first choice.

Thanks for the advice. I've heard of Hood but not Bachelor. I'll do some research. My heart says San Fran but I am always trying to travel to places I have never been. San Fran is the easiest trip. 3 nights, one place.

• Forum MVP

Bought plane tickets, Newark to San Francisco, april 7th-10th. This will my first time ever flying to a show. How exciting! :cheers: :cheers:

Seriously can't wait. Fortunately I have several east coast dso and jgb shows coming up to help pass the time.

Also want to put it out there that Deb and I will likely be looking for a spot to crash for any/all of the nights. Between plane and show fare I think we'll be maxing ourselves out, so to speak. Any help is greatly appreciated and will be rewarded. ;) ;)

Guest crazy digits

Bought plane tickets, Newark to San Francisco, april 7th-10th. This will my first time ever flying to a show. How exciting! :cheers: :cheers:

Seriously can't wait. Fortunately I have several east coast dso and jgb shows coming up to help pass the time.

Also want to put it out there that Deb and I will likely be looking for a spot to crash for any/all of the nights. Between plane and show fare I think we'll be maxing ourselves out, so to speak. Any help is greatly appreciated and will be rewarded. ;) ;)

.....there's some satisfaction in the San Francisco rain, no matter what comes down, the mission always looks the same....

• Forum MVP

Enjoy SF buddy. I wish I could be there, but unfortunately, the trip is not in the cards.

Guest jazz-man

Mt. Bachelor is about a 2 hour drive from Eugene. The skiing is supposed to be very good, dry powder. Lift prices are between $50-70 depending on how many runs are open that day. 3365 vertical drop. http://www.mtbachelor.com/winter/mountain/mountain_experience/mountain_stats Timberline is east of Portland and also has excellent skiing, about an hour and a half to the mountain. There are a few smaller ski areas right there too like Mount Hood Meadows, Cooper Spur and Ski Bowl http://www.traveloregon.com/Ski-Oregon/Explore-Ski-Resorts.aspx

• Forum MVP

i will say living in oregon, you start to get annoyed with zane kesey and the "furthur" bus.

he and his bus are at every jamband show imaginable in the entire state.. apparently the whole family is at odds with him- he's totally just riding his dad's coattails..making a buck off of something he had nothing to do with.

and he sells the stupidest crap- he was literally selling toilet seats (amongst other stuff) at the last show i saw him at.

cant wait to boogey down with yall!!

• Forum MVP

i will say living in oregon, you start to get annoyed with zane kesey and the "furthur" bus.

he and his bus are at every jamband show imaginable in the entire state.. apparently the whole family is at odds with him- he's totally just riding his dad's coattails..making a buck off of something he had nothing to do with.

and he sells the stupidest crap- he was literally selling toilet seats (amongst other stuff) at the last show i saw him at.

cant wait to boogey down with yall!!

I bought a bunch of Neal Cassady audio stuff from him years ago, and he threw in the cleanest copy of SSDD (8/27/72) I've ever seen.

But I can believe what you're saying pretty easily.

Still waiting for the release of SSDD (25 plus years now).

And Mr. Vegas claims the new footage has the Sing Me Back Home! (they showed it before some DSO show a little while back out East I think).

Archived