Talking During Sets...especially Ballads

Gypsy Bob

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Some people talk at shows...

Some people sing real loud every word to songs at shows...

Some people take up to much space at shows by dancing..

Some people do to many drugs at shows...

Some people are sober as a church mouse at shows...

Some people drink to much at shows..

Some people do a combination of the above at shows..

Some people do none of the above at shows...

Some people.... :blink::wacko:

Guest Lisacat

As long as the people who sing real loud every word are at least singing the same song that the band is playing...

Freebird?

• Forum MVP

Some people talk at shows...

Some people sing real loud every word to songs at shows...

Some people take up to much space at shows by dancing..

Some people do to many drugs at shows...

Some people are sober as a church mouse at shows...

Some people drink to much at shows..

Some people do a combination of the above at shows..

Some people do none of the above at shows...

Some people.... :blink::wacko:

Most accurate description of show scene as of yet.

Guest Grabby

Howdy folks...welcome me ;)

Geezer time: twas a time in the day when the GD played Stella Blue you could hear a pin drop. Allowed for a real special moment for all...seems today it's hard to recreate those moments with the insecent talk during Ballads...try listening and connect to the magic. :hug2:

I have two tickets for Furthur for tonight 3/10/11 at Best Buy NY $150 total call me 908-241-4691

• Forum MVP

I think this is why a wide variety of venues is nice.....indoor, outdoor, festivals, classic theatres, modern venues......in my experience, places like the National, Electric Factory, State theatre, 930 club, especially on weekends are going to be a bit more loud and boisterous than the norm. I think this idea of a quiet collective experience is wishful thinking for the most part. I have been to these venues and others similar for DSO dozens of times and they are always replete with drunk people, fraternity boys, etc. These people are paying customers. I'd rather be pragmatic, than pine for some crowd utopia that will never exist and if it did exist would cause the cessation of DSO since they wouldn't be generating sufficient revenue. I am going to Falls Church tomorrow. It is infinitely more palatable than 930 club, but it WILL be packed, hard to maneuver around downstairs. There will be talkers and people belting out the words to ballads. There will be overserved inebriated people. People will bump into you. But the band will be great and the experience will be a total net plus. I'd love to show up and there be 400 hardcore considerate fans and room to dance around and a ritualistic, spiritual experience. But I live in reality and I want the band to make money. DSO crowds are still one of the best rock n roll crowds in the means. Ignore the douchebaggery and own your experience. They aren't worth your angst and they paid money to get in.

Our society is so obsessed with instant gratification that tolerance for anything that doesn't feed that obsession is GONE.... zwyts is right, if you're going to be around PEOPLE it's damn near guaranteed SOMEBODY will not be doing things YOUR way. Become the kung fu master and own your experience. If you focus, they will all fade to the background.

Plan B: hook up with David Blaine and see if he'll loan you his water bubble and go to the show in that bad ass rig......162137__david_l.jpg

I have been paying particular attention to this thread because talkers at shows have been my biggest pet peeve. I have been very interested in the perspectives of the posts that shed light on understanding why folks talk at shows. I still won't like it, but those perspectives on why others talk during Stella Blue and Black Peter will definitely help. Thanks! As for sing-a-longs I think it okay, even cool, when the audience sings with band in with one voice. With that said, I admit that I have been caught (at least twice) singing "outside the box".

I've become MUCH more aware (conscious?) of my own (loud at times?) singing at shows since joining this board. Thank you to all!! I now find myself lowering my head and directing my voice towards the floor if I want to sing a passage at any kind of elevated volume. Of course, if everyone around me is joining in on the chorus, so will I!! :cheers:

Very excited for a little club run in May (Providence, Boston, Hampton Beach). See ya at the shows!!

ps Don't forget to bring a newbie!!.......

:dsorocks:

I've been pretty good at ignoring loud talkers or singers lateley. There was that harmonica player in Orlando who I'm still shaking my head about.

I go to shows with friends, the wife, and sometimes alone. I would say I try not to talk at all during any song. Sometimes words are needed. There is a way to do it and not bother your neighbors. Lean in to your (friend, wife, girlfriend) and talk directly into one of their ears at normal or even below normal volume. No yelling!! If you talk directly (1-2 inches away) into their ear at a normal speaking voice they will hear you and no one else will. I'm not talking about whole stories. Just things like, "Holy crap!" or "I'm off to the bathroom, do you need a beer?" or "They are on fire tonight".

Anyway the key is directly into one ear in your regular speaking voice, something short and sweet.

It's the people who are trying to yell over the music or carry on a 3way conversation 5 rows from the band that I just don't understand. Go to the lobby if you need to talk.

• Advisory Board

ps Don't forget to bring a newbie!!.......

:dsorocks:

This is extremely good advise!! In my 11 year tenure with DSO, I've brought quite a few "noobs", and they still thank me for "making them go" :P I still thank my friend, Jonathan who made me go back in 2000 :)

Just things like, "Holy crap!" or "I'm off to the bathroom, do you need a beer?" or "They are on fire tonight".

Anyway the key is directly into one ear in your regular speaking voice, something short and sweet.

It's the people who are trying to yell over the music or carry on a 3way conversation 5 rows from the band that I just don't understand. Go to the lobby if you need to talk.

Couldn't agree more with ya!!! Short and sweet, and a few "Holy Craps" are always in order!

To anyone who was at the recent Mexicali Acoustic gig how was the audience chatter?

There were times during quieter tunes, such as "To Lay Me Down", where the crowd could of been a wee bit more into the music than chatting with whomever,but, for the most part, Mexicali had a decent and respectful gathering. In fact, compared to the Wellmont, Bergen PAC, or other local venues here in Northern NJ, I'd say the noise from this audience was.... well, less "audible" <_<

• Forum MVP

A good line to tell a talker is:

"You're really missing a good show"

Sunday night I saw Phil, Bobby, Warren Hayenes, and JK sing an A Capella Attics of My Life... multiple people in the audience were screaming things in between verses such as "RIPPLE!!"

Ripple?!?!!?!?! why would anyone in their right mind scream that during an Attics of my Life... a sacred song... this again brings us back to the need for instant gratification in our culture. Because apparently the Attics which was presented to the audience like a gift was not enough for that moment.

• Forum MVP

A good line to tell a talker is:

"You're really missing a good show"

Sunday night I saw Phil, Bobby, Warren Hayenes, and JK sing an A Capella Attics of My Life... multiple people in the audience were screaming things in between verses such as "RIPPLE!!"

Ripple?!?!!?!?! why would anyone in their right mind scream that during an Attics of my Life... a sacred song... this again brings us back to the need for instant gratification in our culture. Because apparently the Attics which was presented to the audience like a gift was not enough for that moment.

You had me at Attics!

Archived