Talking During Sets...especially Ballads

Gypsy Bob

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOVE the shirts!!! I will definately be hitting those up on payday! I forget the date but there is a show where you can hear someone in the band (I think Bobby) shh-ing the audience during Wharf Rat.

I am a singer but I do it at a very low level. I can not stand the people who yell out song titles. I think that may be even more obnoxious then talking. I get pretty red with the talkers too, I must admit. Last year at Gratefulfest on Sunday, the talking was really annoying me. I know it was because a lot of "non-head" locals showed up that night but it was annoying. Then after DSO was done, we went to chill on the beach while the fire playing folks did their thing, and you could hear a fucking pin drop!!!! I was so annoyed!

I have brought many a newb to shows, but I try my hardest to screen them up front, lol. I always have 2 rules if you go with me: No talking during the show and no leaving early!

LOVE the shirts!!! I will definately be hitting those up on payday! I forget the date but there is a show where you can hear someone in the band (I think Bobby) shh-ing the audience during Wharf Rat.

I am a singer but I do it at a very low level. I can not stand the people who yell out song titles. I think that may be even more obnoxious then talking. I get pretty red with the talkers too, I must admit. Last year at Gratefulfest on Sunday, the talking was really annoying me. I know it was because a lot of "non-head" locals showed up that night but it was annoying. Then after DSO was done, we went to chill on the beach while the fire playing folks did their thing, and you could hear a fucking pin drop!!!! I was so annoyed!

I have brought many a newb to shows, but I try my hardest to screen them up front, lol.

I always have 2 rules if you go with me: No talking during the show and no leaving early!

:icon14:

• Forum MVP

there are books worth of stories that could be written on this subject. wtf is wrong with people, anyways? from the yelling at the band to play songs that were written after the era being recreated (much less pushing thru the entire crowd to the front to hang over the rail and do so, while spilling beer on everyone along the way), to the ridiculous comments and conversations happening right in your ear and on your toes during the one song you knew they'd play just for you that night, people that have no respect for MUSIC are absolutely awful to be around. period. at a show or not. period.

that being said, it can be an extremely rewarding nightly mission to figure out exactly how to resolve each such situation peaceably and with a little bit of humor (directed at those with no respect, of course). saying "great show happening, huh?" or "are you hearing this ridiculous shit!?!?" with unbridled enthusiasm to the loudest and most annoying people SOMETIMES works, sometimes you have to say it several times, letting the enthusiasm dwindle and the sarcasm increase in specified increments while still trying to not talk yourself trying to stop them during the awesome ballad happening a few feet away can definitely work, I see it happen and do it all the time. but i must admit, we are often involved in situations that are VERY hard to get out of in a totally peaceable manner.... I think that it has something to do with our karma of getting in and getting to the front 9 times out of 10, but people seem to want to get violent with us from time to time when we try to peacefully make them shut the fuck up or take a step (or two) back or to the side. but, we are young, and we are learning, and one day I hope to always have the exact right smart ass but oh so sweet comment for every such situation that will send the jerk or jerkess packing. i actually got PUNCHED in the freakin gut at furthur broomfield bc I was in the 4th or 5th row and wasn't letting people thru to bother all the awesome heads in front of me on the rail... and jon almost took the guy out and we all held back just in time to keep from really screwing up the vibes... but DUDE, he punched me for not stepping aside when he was pushing me.... guess some people don't know what to do when a pretty little pink unicorn SOBER spaced face won't let them shove right by... i remember screaming at the top of my lungs after it happened "this is NOT my first concert" and all the people I protected in front of me laughed and smiled and it brought everyone back to the music.

but i agree with the general sentiment of this post that we are all happy enough to let the musicians make their buck off of the authentic experience they offer to all of us, even those that don't have the ears to hear the message. maybe one day they will... if the thunder don't get ya then the lightning will, after all.

and we are gonna keep trying to both pay back our good luck by being the ones that have to deal with the one or two jerks at each show (bc there really aren't THAT many, especially at DSO where the family vibe almost always out weighs the "canned party" vibe) and the more we deal with, the better we will get at making them be quiet, and maybe even getting them to LISTEN!!!! and DANCE!

love you guys, thanks for the mighty fine reading, we have internet out here in the middle of nowhere finally so you know you'll be seeing more of me on here :)

hugs and kisses!

~mrs. d

• Advisory Board

i actually got PUNCHED in the freakin gut at furthur broomfield bc I was in the 4th or 5th row and wasn't letting people thru to bother all the awesome heads in front of me on the rail... and jon almost took the guy out and we all held back just in time to keep from really screwing up the vibes... but DUDE, he punched me for not stepping aside when he was pushing me....

Are you fucking kidding me?! Some dude punched you?! Had I of been there and saw that, I guarantee you that this dude would of gone home missing some teeth... hitting people at shows is unacceptable... hitting a woman/girl anywhere will NOT be tolerated in front of me!!

• Forum MVP

I witnessed a dude beat the crap out of his girlfeind in the Crystal Ballroom at setbreak at a DSO show, because she told him she was pregnant. She seemed real excited to tell him. It was fairly disturbing. He left he on the floor in front of Lola's room and ran up the stairs, where he was confronted by some dude, who he then beat to a pulp and left him bleeding on the dance floor. He was promptly evicted and taken off by the police in a fairly violent menner. Talk about a buzzkill. I sometimes see this jackass at shows, dancing and smiling like he just doesn't deserve to be doing.

I witnessed a dude beat the crap out of his girlfeind in the Crystal Ballroom at setbreak at a DSO show, because she told him she was pregnant. She seemed real excited to tell him. It was fairly disturbing. He left he on the floor in front of Lola's room and ran up the stairs, where he was confronted by some dude, who he then beat to a pulp and left him bleeding on the dance floor. He was promptly evicted and taken off by the police in a fairly violent menner. Talk about a buzzkill. I sometimes see this jackass at shows, dancing and smiling like he just doesn't deserve to be doing.

and do we know if the baby is ok?

• Forum MVP

Since the thread has taken on a violent edge, here's a story about the obsession of making the reference tape gone awry. Summer tour '90, East Coast outdoor stadium circuit. A taper friend of mine at the time (I've long since lost track of him) is front of board. He's as serious as they got about leaving the show with the best possible audience recording. Spaced scheopes omnis, custom power supply, Panasonic DAT deck, the works. Some young, misguided and likely way too high hippy shows up behind him and starts clapping his flip flops together over his head. Now, you can imagine how loud that would be. He is asked once or twice, sternly, to stop it immediately. But he's way too high to grasp such reason. So the next thing the clueless fuck knows is that he's on the ground, having been decked with a blow to the face. Apparently he sauntered away sobbing, perhaps to finish his trip with a broken jaw.

• Advisory Board

Since the thread has taken on a violent edge, here's a story about the obsession of making the reference tape gone awry. Summer tour '90, East Coast outdoor stadium circuit. A taper friend of mine at the time (I've long since lost track of him) is front of board. He's as serious as they got about leaving the show with the best possible audience recording. Spaced scheopes omnis, custom power supply, Panasonic DAT deck, the works. Some young, misguided and likely way too high hippy shows up behind him and starts clapping his flip flops together over his head. Now, you can imagine how loud that would be. He is asked once or twice, sternly, to stop it immediately. But he's way too high to grasp such reason. So the next thing the clueless fuck knows is that he's on the ground, having been decked with a blow to the face. Apparently he sauntered away sobbing, perhaps to finish his trip with a broken jaw.

I don't care how high you are... you just don't talk, or make loud noises by the tapers!! lol

Guest crazy digits

I don't care how high you are... you just don't talk, or make loud noises by the tapers!! lol

I also don't care how annoying someone is, you dont pop him in the jaw cause he fucked your tape up for a minute..pleeeeeze...pathetic.....btw, i taped over 100 shows ( gd ) myself..

also, the guy who beat his girl because he found out she was pregnant, LOSER! The girl sounds like a loser too? Why in the world would you allow a dick like that to baby you in the first place? You want to talk about low self esteem....met many a gal who likes to be treated like shit...whats up with that? There's a a few nice guys out there somewhere.

msg - early 80"s. in the taper section with a taper friend. hand (or try to!) a fatty to the guy next to me - drops into his open deck cause he was just about to flip.

that poses another question - and maybe take this thread in a different direction;

is it the qb's fault or the receivers fault on the incomplete bone pass!!

• Forum MVP

msg - early 80"s. in the taper section with a taper friend. hand (or try to!) a fatty to the guy next to me - drops into his open deck cause he was just about to flip.

that poses another question - and maybe take this thread in a different direction;

is it the qb's fault or the receivers fault on the incomplete bone pass!!

Depends on how tightly the receiver is covered and if the qb is being rushed.

I also don't care how annoying someone is, you dont pop him in the jaw cause he fucked your tape up for a minute..pleeeeeze...pathetic.....btw, i taped over 100 shows ( gd ) myself..

also, the guy who beat his girl because he found out she was pregnant, LOSER! The girl sounds like a loser too? Why in the world would you allow a dick like that to baby you in the first place? You want to talk about low self esteem....met many a gal who likes to be treated like shit...whats up with that? There's a a few nice guys out there somewhere.

Is the doer an accessory to a single deed he has committed? Are not his deeds accessories of him? We may evaluate him by all of his deeds, but to evaluate the guy by what may have been one bad trip is the same as renouncing the dead because Jerry had one off night in the 90s. Perhaps he was a wonderful guy.

To quote SNL: "If you bake one cake, it doesn't make you a baker. If you paint one painting, it doesn't make you a painter. But if you blow up one embassy, it automatically makes you a terrorist. It's hypocritical."

Guest jazz-man

Wow, some of these violent stories are pretty sad. Especially hitting women and/or pregnant women. Violence is not a part of my makeup (except watching the Packers play) and I hate to see this stuff in our scene. Fortunately not a lot of folks in our scene are violent. Too many folks are at the show because "I heard you can party pretty hearty there" and it's Friday night, oversold, etc. I requested a dude to not sing so loud (and he couldn't sing for shit) and not swing his arms so wildly and he threatened me. Then after the show he stood around waiting for me at the exit. In spite of saying he was "family" (maybe the Manson family) he was pretty agro. I totally love it when the music plays the band and we ALL are taken for a ride, a uniform joyful mass of smiling heads shaking their bones! It's a beautiful sight to see (and feel/experience).

I work with domestic violence and it really makes me cringe to read things like this. There are a million reasons why these situations aren't black and white and it's not just as easy to say leave. This could have been the first time she saw that in him for all we know. And I assure you no one WANTS to be treated like shit. She probably does have low self esteem, but it could stem from years or even a lifetime of being put down to extents that you may not understand. Sometimes we blame the victim more than the batterer. (which is why I have a job and always will) Not trying to be combative but I have seen so many situations that you just can't possibly understand or judge until you've been there. Domestic violence is a very misunderstood thing so just doing my little part to hopefully shed some light :)

• Forum MVP

I work with domestic violence and it really makes me cringe to read things like this. There are a million reasons why these situations aren't black and white and it's not just as easy to say leave. This could have been the first time she saw that in him for all we know. And I assure you no one WANTS to be treated like shit. She probably does have low self esteem, but it could stem from years or even a lifetime of being put down to extents that you may not understand. Sometimes we blame the victim more than the batterer. (which is why I have a job and always will) Not trying to be combative but I have seen so many situations that you just can't possibly understand or judge until you've been there. Domestic violence is a very misunderstood thing so just doing my little part to hopefully shed some light :)

Thank'y. :icon14:

This kind of thing has been driving me crazy for some time...Think about the 90's. I truck driver gets his head bashed in with a brick, and the perpetrator blames it on his ghetto environment. 2 guys blast their parents into the next life with a shotgun, and they say it was their parents fault. A man rapes a woman, and blames his horrble act on the fact that she was wearing a mini skirt and low cut blouse and it goes on and on.

These acts are committed by violent people and they are responsible for them. I can't believe that people buy these stories. They committed the crime, and it is no ones' fault but the perpetrator themselves....

Peace,

Joe

• Forum MVP

I totally agree about the fact that one should take responsibility for his or her actions (with mitigating circumstances being given whatever weight they merit). I'm not sure that the notion of abdicating the duty to conform one's acts to societal norms of right and wrong, in the area of physical violence at any rate, has much to do with the '90s per se.

And I love how threads here take on a life of their own... cheers.gif

Archived