Sensitive Question: Dso Or Furthur?

deadfan

Why choose? Yet recently I had to: between Furthur at Boston (3 hrs away from me) or DSO at Tarrytown (less than an hour away from me). I chose Furthur. The show was awesome, but I am still wondering, what did I miss with Jeff and the gang. I mean there are many who believe the Jeff and Rob on Keyboards, they outdo Furthur. I recently met someone who was a hardcore DSO fan and would prefer to see them over Furthur, every time. So I asked this same question at Furthur's site, and you would have to go there to see the results. My name over there is Tom Banjo.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Sensitive issue? Funny stuff.

choosing is not something I am good at. I can't even choose a favorite color, or song, or anything!

When Furthur came to OH during Gratefulfest, we stayed at Gratefulfest.

But who knows what we would do if they were across the street from each other today, 'cause ya'll all know how much we love to see JK play..... and who CARES ANYWAY? I mean, can't we all just enjoy the music that is left, and NOT make it some kind of POLITICAL issue?

OH, and you will find my post here to be almost identical to the one I posted on Furthur (which is not the case for deadfan- you can come on out and SAY on here that you just wanna see Furthur and decided to start this thread to irritate people, but really, it makes most of us giggle a whole hell of a lot.... musical purists get that way. lol)

I like the person on the Furthur site who says that the "keyboard guy" from DSO makes DSO sound more like the Grateful Dead than Furthur. hehehe. internet blabbering is ridiculously entertaining.

You could write a book comparing Furthur and DSO (well, I could, anyways, since they are ALL I WILL EVER HAVE) but at the end of the day:

IT IS THE UNIFYING FORCE OF THE GRATEFUL DEAD THAT LIVES IN THEM BOTH, and not their differences, that matter.

SO SMILE, SMILE, SMILE!!!!

hahahahahahahaha :dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

Why choose? Yet recently I had to: between Furthur at Boston (3 hrs away from me) or DSO at Tarrytown (less than an hour away from me). I chose Furthur. The show was awesome, but I am still wondering, what did I miss with Jeff and the gang. I mean there are many who believe the Jeff and Rob on Keyboards, they outdo Furthur. I recently met someone who was a hardcore DSO fan and would prefer to see them over Furthur, every time. So I asked this same question at Furthur's site, and you would have to go there to see the results. My name over there is Tom Banjo.

Might as well make the first post count...leave the pot stiring to those select few.

So on the DSO site you tell us you drove 3 hours for Furthur rathar than 1 hour for DSO and then ask us what you should have done? Well it's clear by your actions that you like Furthur better. So you made the right choice for you. I beleive your decision making went horribly wrong when you decided to make your first post on the DSO forums with the clear intent to try and upset the DSO fans over here. Thats what this post is all about, right? Ha Ha Ha I went to Furthur instead of DSO!!!!! I think thats what your post is. If I'm wrong, I apologize.

Actually, I did not pose that question to piss anyone off. If you knew me, you would know that I am not like that. I first thought of that question because it came to me when I found out the opinion of a person that I know. I won't tell you her opinion, but to some degree I just assumed things, and found out I was wrong. I did not mean to bring politics into this and in the spirit of the dead, I am just posing a silly question. I love all dead heads, not just those who think like me. I mean, I met a person the other day who said he'd rather see his local band called Splintered Sunlight over seeing DSO or Furthur and that too surprised me. It was a pleasant surprise and I thought that I could share that with others. Personally, I have seen Dark Star Orchestra so many times...and I truly love their music and their energy. I have travelled in excess of the few hours I drove to Boston. I think the Jeff is awesome and Barraco rocks, so does Eaton. I've been part of their large audiences and I have been inches away from the band in extremely intimate settings. I would and do travel far and wide for these guys and for anyone playing the Grateful Dead. It is truly the music that they began that I love and I don't care who plays it because I have found that they all know how to communicate energy between themselves and the audience. Those who wrote that my question is not worth answering or something similar - well I am wondering why you did indeed answer. The question was certainly not meant to anger anyone or to imply that one band is better than the other. Frankly, I love them both very very much. When I went to the Furthur show over the DSO show, I came home wondering what I missed and if I had made the right choice. I know that I would have felt the same way had I gone to the DSO show. DSO comes around a lot more than Furthur, so I try to see as many furthur shows as I can. From what I have come to know about my fellow dead heads is that we are very silly and don't take things too seriously. I did not pose the question to be as serious as some of you are taking it. That is why I preluded it with the words, "Sensitive question" I would never intend to anger or stir up bad feelings with anyone, let alone the folks I enjoy dancing with at the shows - the ones that make the shows what they are! I connect with you guys at every show and we always smile at each other and that is what I love in this life...sharing my love for this music.

PEACE (ESPECIALLY IN LIBYA - they got more worries than my stupid question)

Guest crazy digits

Actually, I did not pose that question to piss anyone off. If you knew me, you would know that I am not like that. I first thought of that question because it came to me when I found out the opinion of a person that I know. I won't tell you her opinion, but to some degree I just assumed things, and found out I was wrong. I did not mean to bring politics into this and in the spirit of the dead, I am just posing a silly question. I love all dead heads, not just those who think like me. I mean, I met a person the other day who said he'd rather see his local band called Splintered Sunlight over seeing DSO or Furthur and that too surprised me. It was a pleasant surprise and I thought that I could share that with others. Personally, I have seen Dark Star Orchestra so many times...and I truly love their music and their energy. I have travelled in excess of the few hours I drove to Boston. I think the Jeff is awesome and Barraco rocks, so does Eaton. I've been part of their large audiences and I have been inches away from the band in extremely intimate settings. I would and do travel far and wide for these guys and for anyone playing the Grateful Dead. It is truly the music that they began that I love and I don't care who plays it because I have found that they all know how to communicate energy between themselves and the audience. Those who wrote that my question is not worth answering or something similar - well I am wondering why you did indeed answer. The question was certainly not meant to anger anyone or to imply that one band is better than the other. Frankly, I love them both very very much. When I went to the Furthur show over the DSO show, I came home wondering what I missed and if I had made the right choice. I know that I would have felt the same way had I gone to the DSO show. DSO comes around a lot more than Furthur, so I try to see as many furthur shows as I can. From what I have come to know about my fellow dead heads is that we are very silly and don't take things too seriously. I did not pose the question to be as serious as some of you are taking it. That is why I preluded it with the words, "Sensitive question" I would never intend to anger or stir up bad feelings with anyone, let alone the folks I enjoy dancing with at the shows - the ones that make the shows what they are! I connect with you guys at every show and we always smile at each other and that is what I love in this life...sharing my love for this music.

PEACE (ESPECIALLY IN LIBYA - they got more worries than my stupid question)

Dude, its unfortunate that you cannot come here and ask that question without getting shitted on.

The real answer is > we are lucky to have a choice at all. We have some amazing music these days and we are extremely lucky for that....Have fun listening..

...listening for the secret, searching for the sound....

Dude, its unfortunate that you cannot come here and ask that question without getting shitted on.

The real answer is > we are lucky to have a choice at all. We have some amazing music these days and we are extremely lucky for that....Have fun listening..

...listening for the secret, searching for the sound....

Yea, I'm sorry for doubting your intentions. I just really thought you were trolling. Your reply tells me you weren't. It is definatly ok to like both bands.

Might as well make the first post count...leave the pot stiring to those select few.

I agree....We need to highjack the shit-pot stirring emoticon I saw on another deadfan site(that will remain nameless)! <_<

I prefer to just dance @ the shows I attend & leave the controversy to those who seem to thrive on it!

Peace,

Rob

New York Steve, do you go to any local shows? And how bout the Irving Plaza gig, heh? That is gonna rock! (Sorry about my stupid question, I did not mean to stir up negative feelings or to start a controversy. I know that this site represents DSO fans and Furthur's site represents Furthur fans, but previsouly I thought that most people were like me, members at both sites and that both sites represented the Grateful Dead...it is my love for their music that prompted me to pose the question while I wait anxious for the next dead show which is next saturday at mexicali live-wigjam is playing and i love them too!)

I am really getting to know many of the locals who frequent the music as much as they can and I am wondering if I know you.

• Forum MVP

New York Steve, do you go to any local shows? And how bout the Irving Plaza gig, heh? That is gonna rock! (Sorry about my stupid question, I did not mean to stir up negative feelings or to start a controversy. I know that this site represents DSO fans and Furthur's site represents Furthur fans, but previsouly I thought that most people were like me, members at both sites and that both sites represented the Grateful Dead...it is my love for their music that prompted me to pose the question while I wait anxious for the next dead show which is next saturday at mexicali live-wigjam is playing and i love them too!)

I am really getting to know many of the locals who frequent the music as much as they can and I am wondering if I know you.

sorry, we are extra sensative, as this site has been barraged by trolls looking to stir the pot...on this issue...

• Forum MVP

sorry, we are extra sensative, as this site has been barraged by trolls looking to stir the pot...on this issue...

Wait, you're supposed to stir the pot??? I've been so wrong all these years.........................

In fact, if you go back to Furthur's site, are read ALL of what I said when I initially posed the question and the replies that I posted afterwards, you will find that I a lover of DSO and that I said a lot of good things about them. I suppose that at this point, I am sorry that I couldn't ask this question, I guess it was too much for folks to handle. I don't think people should take life so seriously nor my question. It was intended to ask a question that I really did not know the answer to. LIke I said before, I just thought that people were like me, members at both sites and that when not listening to the dead, it might be fun to talk about them. I suppose I will go plug into my earphones and shut up. I am truly sorry folks.

:-(

Archived