Sensitive Question: Dso Or Furthur?

deadfan

• Forum MVP

Aw, deadfan, see what you get when you post about "sensitive questions"? Peek back into the annuls of this forum and you may find answers that you seek expressed more, um, "honestly"..... and see that your question is simply just something that has been talked about (over, and over and over and over and over and over) by A LOT of people. One of those things that is REALLY FUN to have face to face conversations about on lot and at shows, but not really something that deadheads should be talking about in public for the internet to keep track of forever. I have often said "they should not let deadheads talk in public" because of our tendencies towards opinions that contain words such as "better than" or "more like the grateful dead" or "more like Jerry" or a variety of other stupid things (just listen to tales from the golden road!) that are just a part of all of us trying to express what gets us off.

So, you posted an honest question and got treated like you were stirring a pot... well, here's a super honest answer to your question, since I happened to be one of the first to talk shit to you: DSO will always sound the most like the grateful dead because THAT IS WHAT THEY DO and if you are like me, THAT is what you prefer to see. but. Furthur as an experience and the talent of the individual musicians is amazing (JK and Phil!), and the sheer number of people and the lot scene lends itself to a specific type of grateful dead feel that is amazing to experience and watch others experience. BUT NOTHING compares to standing in the front at DSO with those people that are at their first show that night and watching them go through the realization that THIS is NOT just a cover band, THIS is REAL.... the "this is real" is kind of a packaged, marketed thing at Furthur, you know? that's why people go. and just because it's packaged that way, doesn't always make it so. AND WHY DO THEY PLAY NOBODY GIRL? that song is the epitome of exactly how I don't want to feel at ANY show, and they make JK sing it and that makes me sad, dammit. haha.

I have always had a sense since my first DSO show that something really, really special was happening between this band and their audience, and being a part of this forum and going to as many shows as I can has really taught me a lot about EVERY aspect of life.... but one thing I have learned most clearly is that Starheads are the best bunch of people to go to shows with because they ARE the 1 in 10,000 that come for the show EVERY TIME whether it is DSO or to see JK in Furthur. The ears and feet always know. That's why I was a starhead before I even was a deadhead.

Welcome to the forums :)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

In fact, if you go back to Furthur's site, are read ALL of what I said when I initially posed the question and the replies that I posted afterwards, you will find that I a lover of DSO and that I said a lot of good things about them. I suppose that at this point, I am sorry that I couldn't ask this question, I guess it was too much for folks to handle. I don't think people should take life so seriously nor my question. It was intended to ask a question that I really did not know the answer to. LIke I said before, I just thought that people were like me, members at both sites and that when not listening to the dead, it might be fun to talk about them. I suppose I will go plug into my earphones and shut up. I am truly sorry folks.

:-(

if you want to know how the show was go to reviews ,look under tarrytown and check out some of the videos posted .most of that show is up on utube under nwnjsteve,and if you like them repost them on f.b. or where ever and spread the good word

• Forum MVP

In fact, if you go back to Furthur's site, are read ALL of what I said when I initially posed the question and the replies that I posted afterwards, you will find that I a lover of DSO and that I said a lot of good things about them. I suppose that at this point, I am sorry that I couldn't ask this question, I guess it was too much for folks to handle. I don't think people should take life so seriously nor my question. It was intended to ask a question that I really did not know the answer to. LIke I said before, I just thought that people were like me, members at both sites and that when not listening to the dead, it might be fun to talk about them. I suppose I will go plug into my earphones and shut up. I am truly sorry folks.

:-(

I don't whether more people like Tiger Woods or Phil Mickelson.............. and Jimmy cracked corn.......

I was @ home on the west coast when boston/ tarrytown happened so I had no choice to make but at the time was stoked to hear that both sold out. The more the merrier. Many a new deadhead was "made" in one night in two places. Its great to be open enough to struggle with a decision of which experience to take on. and once the decision is made its its important to not doubt it and do the best you can to involve yourself and turn the show up a notch...

• Forum MVP
stoked to hear that both sold out.

+1

deadfan, you came in knowing it was a sensitive question. quit acting put-upon at the response and carry on. no need to dramatize. the question is moot! what's that grateful fred sez? be free have fun!

I'm actually struggling with a similar question for next week. DSO is playing a three night run in San Francisco. For some damn reason, Frontstreet decided to schedule a show in Berkeley on the middle night of this run! These guys play a handful of gigs in a year, and they pick this night for one of their rare shows? :wacko:

I really only wanted to see two of the three DSO shows, as I'm really not up to three nights in a row anymore. So now the quandary is, do I suck it up and see DSO/Frontstreet/DSO, or Frontstreet with DSO the night before or after, or just bag Frontstreet and see DSO on Thursday and Saturday? I really dug Frontstreet the last (and first) time I saw them earlier this year and was looking forward to hearing them again. You really have to wonder about the timing of this. Seems to not serve either band very well.

• Forum MVP

OK, so it sounds like a serious question minus any mean spirits. But there isn't an apples to apples real world academic answer because of other variables. For example, here in the Bay Area the scenario would likely be DSO at Great American and Furthur at BG Civic. Easy choice for DSO. But if they were playing on subsequent nights at GAMH, same ticket price, I think I'd choose Furthur.

Now that said, there'd be moments in the Furthur show where I'd be cringing in horror, and there would be no such moments at DSO. But seeing Phil, still bringing it, and such a nice small venue would be too much to resist.

So many factors:

Music

Venues

Crowd

Shakedown

Ticket Price

Travel Distance

etc.

No idea about the music. I don't think anyone who doesn't have perfect pitch can validly say which is better.

I like DSO's venues more, smaller and more personal.

I like DSO's crowd more, tends to have less "ballad talkers." However, with cheaper tickets one who cares less will more likely see DSO. But DSO is more difficult to know of, so ehh.

I like Furthur's shakedown more, always more stuff going on. However, sometimes this "more stuff" is from "ballad talkers."

Furthur's ticket prices are more. And also a greater chance of being sold out.

The travel distance depends on the individual show.

Yet all of this varies from show to show. I'm happy to see either.

If you want to enjoy JK's total awesomeness and Phil's killer bassbombs, and can handle the cringe factor of the shredded vocals of the grandeads, well I guess Furthur's for you.

But if you wanna dust off those rusty strings just one more time, and make em shine -- DSO's yer band. :icon14:

Hope that's sensitive enough. :blink:

As the Furry Freak Brothers meant to say,

"DSO will get you though times of no Furthur better than Furthur will get you through times of no DSO."

You see, after you all got done raggin on me about the question, it turns out it was a good question after all. Some out there have similar questions and some have real opinions. But let me tell you all that I am not a Furthur fan over a DSO fan. And about the time thing, I am not sure why I put that in as a factor because I have traveled far distances and slept in shady rest areas to see DSO. I, however, did learn something from it all

• Forum MVP

You see, after you all got done raggin on me about the question, it turns out it was a good question after all.

It was a good question because so many people on here answered it?

Me thinks you've giving us too much credit.

• Forum MVP

Its a terrible question because its too personal. As deadheads were entitled to our opinion and our preference, your preference and opinion is as good as mine, but lets not force it to be public. Its like asking a girl her weight or how many guys she slept with. Its just unnecessary. Does my opinion change yours?

Those that know me personally know where I stand. You really want to talk this out ask people in person. As for asking on this forum, I won't give you an answer. I love em both.

• Forum MVP

I like Rick's analogy. What more do you need to know about a girl's weight as long as she is "height/weight proportional;" what more do you need to know about someone's track record as long as proper precautions are taken? One man gathers what another man spills. Hmmm, well, that may not seem quite right in this context...

So let me shift gears and note that some folks who have been on this board a while have endured discussions (read: "mean-spirited arguments") dating back to the old DNC board regarding the merits of DSO relative to various post-Jerry incarnations of the GD. It has simply gotten old, really really old. Not that it isn't a worthy topic but like our mothers all told us, sometimes it isn't what you say so much as how you say it.

We have had incursions from other boards, one-off flamers, regular inciters (God, sometimes I miss Bootsie), members here quit, and instances of friends simply disappearing. All of which is to say some of us are a tad "sensitive." The lineup of Furthur adds a little extra edge to it all. And the Tom Banjo thread at the Furthur forum makes the motives for posting here appear to be suspect, although I can appreciate that incitement wasn't the purpose of the opening post here.

Stir it up, little darling...

I was @ home on the west coast when boston/ tarrytown happened so I had no choice to make but at the time was stoked to hear that both sold out. The more the merrier. Many a new deadhead was "made" in one night in two places. Its great to be open enough to struggle with a decision of which experience to take on. and once the decision is made its its important to not doubt it and do the best you can to involve yourself and turn the show up a notch...

Well said, I agree. :P

Dude, its unfortunate that you cannot come here and ask that question without getting shitted on.

The real answer is > we are lucky to have a choice at all. We have some amazing music these days and we are extremely lucky for that....Have fun listening..

...listening for the secret, searching for the sound....

Funny, I was thinking the same thing...

Oh yea, I saw Furthur last Friday at Hampton and it was awsome!!!!! I had a great time, the music was wonderful. I found at a DSO show some time ago that closing your eyes and really concentrating on what is coming into your ears really makes it way better. I wish I had discovered this 30 years ago...looking ahead tho, enjoy em both, the years are ticking away, your knees won't be able to handle that dancing forever. If I ever have to choose between the two, although making decisions is not my fortay(ok, I know I spelled that wrong) I am so glad I have the choice to make.

Peace,

Joe

Archived