Sensitive Question: Dso Or Furthur?

deadfan

• Forum MVP

Oh yea, I saw Furthur last Friday at Hampton and it was awsome!!!!! I had a great time, the music was wonderful. I found at a DSO show some time ago that closing your eyes and really concentrating on what is coming into your ears really makes it way better. I wish I had discovered this 30 years ago...looking ahead tho, enjoy em both, the years are ticking away, your knees won't be able to handle that dancing forever. If I ever have to choose between the two, although making decisions is not my fortay(ok, I know I spelled that wrong) I am so glad I have the choice to make.

Peace,

Joe

(wish we'd been there, that was one we hadn't wanted to miss!)

hehe, I feel ya on the closing the eyes because I saw this guy w dreads that was about my age once (think it was the munhall pa show in nov 09) when my honey and I went to our first run of DSO shows together and he picked a spot right up in the front corner where he couldn't see a thing happening on the stage, and proceeded to spin with his eyes closed pretty much the entire night. a few times he peeked our way, as we were some of the other mystically entranced young people in the room that were also having a deeply outrageous good time, and he smiled and we smiled back.

however, I CANNOT just keep my eyes closed, and though they do close pretty often because it is just that crazy to know it is DSO but hear Grateful Dead, I always remind myself to OPEN MY EYES and LOOK at these amazing musicians as they bring to life music that I never had the privilege of seeing myself.... how else am I gonna know how this amazing thing happened that I listen to on tapes all day long if I don't watch the people that know show me in that special way only they can!?!

this thread is silly. and it is hurtful. and we are just a young couple that doesn't know anything about anything. my man and I have had countless hours of discussion and what I suppose are fights over this very topic, and others related to it, and at the end of the day it really seems to be a waste of time because ya can't bring back what is gone, and what we have is freaking phenomenal and the future just keeps looking brighter.

I find this post to be timely, however, as there seems to be things stirring all around and I just realized I'm about to go to my 30th-34th DSO shows (50th for DSO and Furthur combined I believe) and I am going alone (Jon would be there if he could and will be with me in spirit, of course, but the west beckons for a bit!) As I am the one that "got the Dead" because of Lisa cooing during Dancin', I never have a question in my mind about what I want to see, but Jon "got the Dead" because of JK and therein lies the sad, hurtful, shitty side to this entire topic and it really, really sucks that either site has to be a memorial to something that is so....... difficult.

but whatever, we're all just fans, after all.

kisses, hugs, love, joy, endless exuberance,

Mrs. D

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Deadfan, you represent yourself on your profile page as an experienced and generous head, prone to giving out glow sticks at concerts. There are many heads who do not find glow sticks a contribution to the scene, especially when they knock you out of a musical trance when hitting you on the head from 30 feet above. I see your question as similar

(wish we'd been there, that was one we hadn't wanted to miss!)

hehe, I feel ya on the closing the eyes because I saw this guy w dreads that was about my age once (think it was the munhall pa show in nov 09) when my honey and I went to our first run of DSO shows together and he picked a spot right up in the front corner where he couldn't see a thing happening on the stage, and proceeded to spin with his eyes closed pretty much the entire night. a few times he peeked our way, as we were some of the other mystically entranced young people in the room that were also having a deeply outrageous good time, and he smiled and we smiled back.

however, I CANNOT just keep my eyes closed, and though they do close pretty often because it is just that crazy to know it is DSO but hear Grateful Dead, I always remind myself to OPEN MY EYES and LOOK at these amazing musicians as they bring to life music that I never had the privilege of seeing myself.... how else am I gonna know how this amazing thing happened that I listen to on tapes all day long if I don't watch the people that know show me in that special way only they can!?!

this thread is silly. and it is hurtful. and we are just a young couple that doesn't know anything about anything. my man and I have had countless hours of discussion and what I suppose are fights over this very topic, and others related to it, and at the end of the day it really seems to be a waste of time because ya can't bring back what is gone, and what we have is freaking phenomenal and the future just keeps looking brighter.

I find this post to be timely, however, as there seems to be things stirring all around and I just realized I'm about to go to my 30th-34th DSO shows (50th for DSO and Furthur combined I believe) and I am going alone (Jon would be there if he could and will be with me in spirit, of course, but the west beckons for a bit!) As I am the one that "got the Dead" because of Lisa cooing during Dancin', I never have a question in my mind about what I want to see, but Jon "got the Dead" because of JK and therein lies the sad, hurtful, shitty side to this entire topic and it really, really sucks that either site has to be a memorial to something that is so....... difficult.

but whatever, we're all just fans, after all.

kisses, hugs, love, joy, endless exuberance,

Mrs. D

I think Herdy said it best a while back on some other thread, it went something like this...Does it make me any less of a Dead Head because I only saw The Grateful Dead a few times. Of course not! To me being a Dead Head has only a small part to do with the Grateful Dead. The music brings us together for our rituals, but Dead Heads are more than that. From what I gather, one of the values of our culture is to love your brother. Respect each other. Dead Heads have always been a considerate yet opinionated brood. It pains me to see this kind of thing challenge those values.

Sounds to me like you and Mr. Deviled Egg have the right attitude, even tho you never saw The GD. You get a pretty good taste of it with both of these bands!

This tread has me thinking about this quote from 50 years ago..."We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we all are mortal."

Peace,

Joe

Phil talked about The Dead not being able to tap into THE FIRE in the latter years... The Fire is out with Furthur...The fire burns with DSO... is there really any choice?

well see...it was bound to happen on one side of the venue or the other.....you are sorely mistaken Gypsy Bob.

Why choose between just Furthur? DSO and Furthur have different speeds and styles in my opinion, just the same as any other band that plays Grateful Dead. To me and my husband DSO would outright win over ANY other band, not just Furthur. It all depends on what style you like,I guess. We just love the style, fast tempo and total fun, personable experience we get with DSO. Thanks DSO for ALL the great experiences. Can't wait for East coast in May!!! :dsorocks:

I hate getting into discussions on this topic, because I, like many others, think it's stupid to argue about which band is better in ANY context. Music is subjective, and people take satisfaction from different feelings they get from different bands. They seek out different satisfactions.

I love the music of the Grateful Dead, but I am also an unabashed lover of KISS. Why? Because the satisfaction I seek from the GD (musical innovation, creativity, heartfelt emotion) is different than the satisfaction I seek when I blast KISS "Alive!" Sometimes, I DO want a live show where I can sing along with 50,000 other people and enjoy the party. I don't think there's anything wrong with me.

Just like that example, I seek different things when I listen to DSO or Furthur, although I'll admit it's a little deeper in this sense. Every time I've seen DSO, save perhaps once, I've come away with my face melted, exhausted from dancing and enjoying myself. To me, the energy is with DSO. JM is doing things that leave my jaw on the floor going "WOW." When DSO is about to peak a jam, I can feel something swirling inside me I don't feel anywhere else.

At the same time, I was seven years old when Jerry died. I never saw the "real" Grateful Dead. I saw The Dead and thought it was OK...wasn't really impressed. I saw Ratdog at an open-air amphitheater in '07 when they toured with the Allmans, and it didn't do much for me (but I think that was the case of it being the wrong venue). When I saw Furthur the show was MUCH better, there was a different energy and excitement I hadn't noticed at The Dead.

When I think of seeing those bands, though, I think how lucky and blessed I am to get ANYTHING like that. I never got to see the GD; getting to see Phil and Bobby live is a special treat for me because of their iconic status. Because Phil is 71 and Bobby's in his 60's and who knows how long they'll keep doing this. Because time eventually claims us all. I'd be lying if I said "It's all about the music;" it's the chance for me to see these legends, my favorite musical artists, continue to make music.

In the end, it all comes down to circumstances and the particular itch you need scratched at any given time.

• Advisory Board

As for asking on this forum, I won't give you an answer. I love em both.

But you did give us an answer... you love em both.... Rick, sometimes you make me laugh so hard I want to piss myself...

I hate getting into discussions on this topic, because I, like many others, think it's stupid to argue about which band is better in ANY context. Music is subjective, and people take satisfaction from different feelings they get from different bands. They seek out different satisfactions.

Agreed.... Us Deadheads are extremely opinionated, and we express our opinions often... None of us like to be proven wrong, but when it comes to an opinion, there is no right or wrong... period... end of discussion.. Music is different to everyone, one man gathers what another man spills... and that is a fact!

• Forum MVP

But you did give us an answer... you love em both.... Rick, sometimes you make me laugh so hard I want to piss myself...

Agreed.... Us Deadheads are extremely opinionated, and we express our opinions often... None of us like to be proven wrong, but when it comes to an opinion, there is no right or wrong... period... end of discussion.. Music is different to everyone, one man gathers what another man spills... and that is a fact!

I didn't answer the question Herdy. I love em both, but I have a preference. I think you probably know what it is.

• Forum MVP

some guys like blonds... some guys like brunettes.... some guys like redheads....

some guys like myself like all flavors.... :blink::wacko:

I don't discriminate when it comes to blondes, brunettes, or redheads either.

snore fest??

Its snooze fest.

Guest Lisacat

Does it really matter? I will support all GD music because the more bands there are out there playing it, the longer the music will be around. This playground is big enough for several bands and everyone will have his or her own preference as to what turns them on. Some little kid is probably out there now after getting home from a show and asking mom or dad for a guitar or a drumset or keyboard so he can learn to play music like Bobby or Jeff or Stu or Rob E or whoever...doesn't really matter who it is. The point is we are so fortunate to have these choices.

As for individual preferences, some of us have very deep personal reasons for choosing one over another if we have to. Its like immediate family and extended family. We take care of our immediate family first, then we see to it that we stay in touch with our cousins and aunts and uncles. There is a level of comfort and intimacy found within a nuclear family that can't be gained elsewhere. Sometimes its not always just about the notes.

• Forum MVP

Slut.

wait a minute.... I should be the slut ... I was the one who said it first that I do all flavors !!! ....

the old Dan Akroyd skit on SNL.... "Fred Garvic - Male Prostitute"

dang it - if Rick is a slut than so am on...

I think I will get that on a T-Shirt.... :icon14:

• Forum MVP

wait a minute.... I should be the slut ... I was the one who said it first that I do all flavors !!! ....

You like all flavors? Neopolitan covers the bases pretty well in one convenient serving.

• Forum MVP

We can be sluts together.

Archived