Sensitive Question: Dso Or Furthur?

deadfan

• Forum MVP

Here is an analogy, I'm a huge Giants Baseball fan, I worship Mays and M'Covey, but let's face it, there best days are long behind them, and I don't want them in the outfield with the 2011 Giants.

Oh come on - you don't think an 80-something Willie Mays couldn't out hit Torres and Rowand? Well, come to think of it he is legally blind, so perhaps you're right. B)

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with who says its not a competition. It may seem like it is and some cases they play near each other but i think its more of what you want to here... Furthur who i do love dont get me wrong tend to do thing a little different witch i like and dis-like with dark star i know when the help/slip/Franklin comes on its gona be a good old grateful dead help/slip/Franklin...

• 1 month later...

I agree with who says its not a competition. It may seem like it is and some cases they play near each other but i think its more of what you want to here... Furthur who i do love dont get me wrong tend to do thing a little different witch i like and dis-like with dark star i know when the help/slip/Franklin comes on its gona be a good old grateful dead help/slip/Franklin...

DSO Tone has a big problem with me that I did not start but which months later is still thriving in him...I think he needs to get some help and does NOT represent the happy hippies that I know from the shows. You on the other hand are one of those happy hippies that I speak of and I am always glad to see u at the shows brother. See you soon!

After this last 4 show run i will say if it came down to i would go see dark star over furthur.. Furthur tour was fun and they are great but for some reason i fell like they did not deliver like they could have.. i want the GRATEFUL DEAD thats what i want and that what dark star gives me.. to break down in the middle show like i did touched me in away that i furthur just has not as of now. I dont have to lesh sing...... cant wait to see you all at the next show

Here is a serious musical criticism.

DSO seems to enjoy big climaxes nowadays. Certain songs need that climax, but some songs shouldn't have it. The big climaxes tend to sacrifice melodic quality, and with a good, expressive melody, one climaxes with expression, not with loud sounds.

They tend to take extra verses for a solo when the dead only would have taken one: this is fine, assuming the solo develops itself well. However, I do think the big exploding solo in every song is excess.

• Forum MVP

Octal,

That's an astute observation. (In general that is; I'm making no statement as to whether it does or does not apply to the current DSO experience.) And it's one reason that Phil & Friends often didn't work for me. Economy of notes.

• Forum MVP

That is one of Jeff's strong points so they emphasize it. I personally love it. One could that when John was in the band they under-emphasized the long jams. No matter what it won't be exactly the same.

• Advisory Board

i want the GRATEFUL DEAD thats what i want and that what dark star gives me..

That's what I've been saying for years and years!!!!

I'm a DEADHEAD purist, and I want to hear the GRATEFUL DEAD the way THE GRATEFUL DEAD should be played... period... don't change the fucking lyrics, add lyrics, and have horrible vocal singers sing songs... Sorry Furthur, you ain't for me!

Hey NOW! for what its worth...Furthur gave us quite a new years extravaganza. It was a love filled journey back to Terrapin. I wish we could all be together but am very thankful that from the east to the west the Grateful Dead was honored. I love everyone who cherishes the music like I do...Thanks DSO for keeping it real and lets make this new year a union of our love of the music and those who play in it.

• Forum MVP

Hey NOW! for what its worth...Furthur gave us quite a new years extravaganza. It was a love filled journey back to Terrapin. I wish we could all be together but am very thankful that from the east to the west the Grateful Dead was honored. I love everyone who cherishes the music like I do...Thanks DSO for keeping it real and lets make this new year a union of our love of the music and those who play in it.

I feel we are together.

We are all our people and it's because of the songs.

I agree on the Civic run too...it was, by far, the best I've seen from that band.

Archived