Anchorage, Alaska

Herdygerdy

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

has anyone been to any of these venues? i'm leaning towards healy if i can't make it to all 3

Call Sarah Palin ....

she is an old school Deadhead.... little know fact... I danced with her back at a show in '91 ... .she was just as frisky then as she is now.... :unsure:

If you are gonna fly to alaska ya might as well go to all 3....right??

that's what i'm thinking. not trying to go to ak solo, though... between all of summer's festivities and tossing around the idea of either jam cruise or jitd, my folks and i are all pretty broke :(

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tundrareef

well, i typed a post yesterday that didn't seem to make it? must have hit the wrong button.

i live in fairbanks and would love to help out on any logistics. a quick description of the venues they are to play:

anchorage (northern seattle)- beartoothe. they have a brewery and have an excellent selection of beer on tap. it is an old movie theater. they are the only place that i know of that regularly has "jambands" come up and play. downtown anchorage and the tourist season won't be over, so expect expensive hotel rooms. the university of alaska, anchorage has summer housing for students that is reasonably priced and close enough to catch a taxi. camping will all be at least an hours drive north? the show will probably sell out.

healy- 49th state brewery. just opened last season and they are supposed to have their first beer any day now. about 30 minutes north of denali national park. in the middle of nowhere with no curfew that i am aware of. there is one state trouper stationed in healy, watch the spead limit (only one road running through town) or he will find you. small place and the owner is a head; he also owns the denali salmon bake just north of the park entrance. they have a stage indoors, but they might have one outdoors also? other than seasonal workers from the park and people willing to travel from fairbanks or anchorage, it should be very intimate. i'd be surprised if they sell out.

fairbanks- the blue loon. they used to do the annual jerry garcia pigroast, but haven't for the past few years. this should be welcome for the local crowd. one of jerry's friends did the roasting of the pig! small venue; an old airplane hanger if i'm not mistaken. when i first moved to town it had dirt floors and you could bring your dog with you. we just saw keller williams there a few nights ago and there was only 100 people. again, should be a very intimate show! they do have an outdoor stage, but i imagine they will play indoors. again, i'd be surprised if they sell out.

august is our rainy month. bring the raincoats. there is also the potential for snow in the park, so bring the fleece. you probably won't need the fleece during the day, but temps will drop at night. the aurora starts to become visible about that time of the year. in fact the earliest i've seen it is about mid august. best chance for that in fairbanks.

i won't be heading to anchorage, but i will be going to healy and fairbanks shows. i was planning the annual trout fishing trip that weekend, but some band is coming up:) the trout can wait until next year. i guess i'll have to get my fishing fix with the greyling.

there is a camp ground/rv park next door to the brewery. we have booked four sites side by side. look for the tye-die with the syf! we'll bring the three year old and grandma, just in case the scene is overwhelming. i have land in fairbanks, not that flat as of yet, but anyone willing to camp is more than welcome. i know lots of places to camp for free all over the state, so feel free to pick my brain.

blueberries will be in season! at least the end of the season. any boggy looking areas or above treeline will produce. i believe the state fair will be in palmer. might be your chance to hob knob with sarah. tell her to stay down there!

maybe it's me getting old, but do i remember one of the band members being into trout fishing?

mosquitos aren't that bad in august. at least by alaska standards. watch out for the black flies, though. shouldn't be a big deal at any of the venues, though. bears should be fat and happy that time of year and definitely won't be a problem at any of the venues:) they'll be at the rivers catching silvers and the last of the chums. watch out for troublesome creek! nice hike, but lots of bears.

so, if these guys are going to be doing acoustic sets, then what can we expect? i've never seen them, but i am aware that they "re-enact" past shows. i don't know of any all acoustic shows the dead played besides the private birthday party or special benefit. maybe they'll do a nice acoustic '70's show:) hint, hint, wink, wink.

the sunday after the fairbanks show, be sure to check the "Dead Sessions" on 91.5 (1pm-3pm). C.P. has been doing it for a long time now. he went to school with rob bertrando:)

peace..........js

• Forum MVP

Hey there Tundra...

Thanks for all that info about the scene up north! I'm sure that will be useful to those making the journey up that way...(I can't swing it, dang it!)

First time to catch the band, eh??? Well, Mr. T, you are in for a mighty fine time and yes, the trout can wait....

Folks heading up should also be aware of another unique method of getting to and fro...the way I've always dreamed about getting up there (someday....) and a way to see the entire inside passage from the water...

The alaska ferry sails weekly out of Bellingham, WA and takes a couple days to get up there and I've heard it's an incredibly beautiful journey and they let you set up tents up on the upper deck so it's not so expensive as getting a room on the boat....I've heard it's a great scene when you camp......maybe worth considering for one of the legs either coming or going....though there would still be lots of logisitics involved in actually getting to or from the shows to where the ferries come into port....check it out...... http://www.akferry.com/

I wish I were going to make it, Tundra,....it would be fun to camp with ya and meet some other ALaska heads....

Glad to see that you have internet access way up there.... :D

Enjoy the long days!!!

NEWS FLASH - THIS JUST IN OFF THE WIRE:

All 3 DSO shows in Alaska will be Acoustic ....

they ain't got none of that there electricity up in them there parts yet ... :blink:

As long as Im not the focus of your sarcasm...I think its funny....However, Just like I can't tell if Chuck really hates Eyes....Is this true...All acoustic?

Guest tundrareef

no one is ever the focus of my sarcasm... it is all done just to try to maybe brighten a day up or two...

but the Acoustic thing was a joke.... I think they are running a extension cord from Vancouver to Alaska... a real real long extension cord.... <_<

Extension cord not necessary. Just plug into the Northern Lights!

The inside passage is supposed to be wonderful. Haven't done that, so I can't help there. Though, I think it might take more than a couple days:) I've heard differing opinions on the camping on the deck. It could rain sideways the whole way up and the whole way down. August is the rain season.

This might be a silly question but, do people follow DSO around like the GD?

In Healy and Fairbanks, expect small crowds. Healy especially. I'd love to be wrong!

peace.........js

• Forum MVP

In Healy and Fairbanks, expect small crowds. Healy especially. I'd love to be wrong!

peace.........js

Not a lot but some do :cheers:

peace.........js

So who else is going?

We got our flights yesterday

1. Gary

2. Connie

3. Tiff

• Forum MVP

So who else is going?

We got our flights yesterday

1. Gary

2. Connie

3. Tiff

Flights booked, tickets purchased, car rented. Still thinking about sleeping accomodations. My Friend Sammy is coming too.

1. Gary

2. Connie

3. Tiff

4. Mango

5. Sammy

Guest crazy digits

Flights booked, tickets purchased, car rented. Still thinking about sleeping accomodations. My Friend Sammy is coming too.

1. Gary

2. Connie

3. Tiff

4. Mango

5. Sammy

6. weather command - why not

Archived