Anchorage, Alaska

Herdygerdy

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

i just did something i havent done in a long time... i just looked at flights!! and it felt damn good! i got a summer research position (only for 3 months) that almost pays a living wage, so after reading this thread and seeing who's in...i thought, "i need to do this!"

I live in fucking Portland (one of Alaska Air's biggest markets- they advertise on everything out here) and round trip in the middle of the week was over 600 bucks!!! no way i can do that! how much were people's flights? curious if anyone is finding anything in the $300 range.

• Forum MVP

i just did something i havent done in a long time... i just looked at flights!! and it felt damn good! i got a summer research position (only for 3 months) that almost pays a living wage, so after reading this thread and seeing who's in...i thought, "i need to do this!"

I live in fucking Portland (one of Alaska Air's biggest markets- they advertise on everything out here) and round trip in the middle of the week was over 600 bucks!!! no way i can do that! how much were people's flights? curious if anyone is finding anything in the $300 range.

After all the taxes my flight cost about 650$. I had a hard time finding good flight times as well. I know that some of my friends will be flying in on the wednesday before the show. Prob not a bad idea, but I can't do it.

Hope you decide to come, Jordan! :cheers:

Guest crazy digits

DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Forum MVP

round trip in the middle of the week was over 600 bucks!!! no way i can do that! how much were people's flights? curious if anyone is finding anything in the $300 range.

What I'm looking at is in that top end price range too, and also doesn't offer the greatest hours of arrival on Thursday - like a 7:30 pm arrival for an 8:00 show. That is cutting it closer than I'd like after allowing for any traffic at all. The Wednesday option isn't viable for me either, so i just don't know...but Jordan, just do it! You know you want to...do it!

• Forum MVP

It's only money.........you'll make more.

I am going to have to spend at least the cost of the flights on my wife to get her to agree. A tough egg to crack, that one. <_<

• Forum MVP

until I can find a flight under 400, this is just not an option. im not in kansas anymore kids.. i'm living in a west coast city with a job that pays me about 100 dollars more than my monthly rent.

chuck, you found a $300ish flight?

• Forum MVP

until I can find a flight under 400, this is just not an option. im not in kansas anymore kids.. i'm living in a west coast city with a job that pays me about 100 dollars more than my monthly rent.

chuck, you found a $300ish flight?

No. Looks like I will be spending the weekend at the pool. Or if I get enough initiative then I'll be communing with the One at 10,000 feet or so in Zion. Unless lighning strikes. Stranger things have happened.

I posted this earlier but if you sign up for an alaska airlines visa you get 25000 miles which there are flights for that available today that leave pdx 8-17 come back 8-22. Just have to qualify for credit. But you also get a $99 companion credit. that would cost two people about 850 to get to anchorage. If you qualify for credit the trip is free from portland+ tax.

• Forum MVP

I posted this earlier but if you sign up for an alaska airlines visa you get 25000 miles which there are flights for that available today that leave pdx 8-17 come back 8-22. Just have to qualify for credit. But you also get a $99 companion credit. that would cost two people about 850 to get to anchorage. If you qualify for credit the trip is free from portland+ tax.

Lets GO !!! :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tundrareef

I'm on the email list for the Blue Loon here in Fairbanks. Today, they said they are going to revive the Jerry Garcia Memorial Pigroast, which means that it will be an outdoor show! Jerry's friend does the cooking of the pigs. Years ago, the event for bringing in the biggest crowd was one of the first Pigroast's with Leftover Salmon headlining (not sure if the record still stands?) and Keller Willaims. There was a bust of Garcia that was made locally and used to be on stage for the festival. I remember the bust made national news and had some sort of significance (which seems to have left my memory).

For the first time in a very long while, I found myself thinking about what songs I would like to hear at a Dead show. A cool feeling that has been absent for 16 years! Incidentally, I was listening to Rob Bertrando's audience recording of San Bernardino 1977 on my way home. Uuuuhhhhhhh.................... One thing that you won't hear an Alaskan saying much is "I can't wait until summer is over". But, I can't wait until summer is over! OK, no I don't, but I won't be disappointed if it flies by:)

Thank you, DSO, for coming to visit us!

Guest tundrareef

I'm on the email list for the Blue Loon here in Fairbanks. Today, they said they are going to revive the Jerry Garcia Memorial Pigroast, which means that it will be an outdoor show! Jerry's friend does the cooking of the pigs. Years ago, the event for bringing in the biggest crowd was one of the first Pigroast's with Leftover Salmon headlining (not sure if the record still stands?) and Keller Willaims. There was a bust of Garcia that was made locally and used to be on stage for the festival. I remember the bust made national news and had some sort of significance (which seems to have left my memory).

For the first time in a very long while, I found myself thinking about what songs I would like to hear at a Dead show. A cool feeling that has been absent for 16 years! Incidentally, I was listening to Rob Bertrando's audience recording of San Bernardino 1977 on my way home. Uuuuhhhhhhh.................... One thing that you won't hear an Alaskan saying much is "I can't wait until summer is over". But, I can't wait until summer is over! OK, no I don't, but I won't be disappointed if it flies by:)

Thank you, DSO, for coming to visit us!

• 1 month later...
  • Forum MVP

Hopefully all of the fine folks that took the plunge up to the great State of AK are high-steppin into town if not already there. I wish everyone the safest of travels and expect the shows will reward those hearty souls that threw caution to the wind to catch Jahova's favorite choir.

Sooooo psyched for everyone! Have a blast and enjoy that Midnite Moonlite! :cheers:

Guest deadcheese

What time will DSO come on tommorrow at the 49th state brewing co? The 49th state brewing co website says 8pm, do you think that's accurate? Sounds pretty early...

• Forum MVP

What time will DSO come on tommorrow at the 49th state brewing co? The 49th state brewing co website says 8pm, do you think that's accurate? Sounds pretty early...

You won't kick yourself for being early. Knock back a pint or 3 and get ready for the show.....The Circus is In town. Recreation of the 1980 show? It will be good whatever they do.

Guest deadcheese

I wish that was the case but I work until 9 and then have a 30min drive. But will never miss a dso show, especially in AK! Hopefully they start a little later than 8, but nevertheless lets RAGE!! see you all tomorrow

Guest Lisacat

I am sooo friggin jealous of those lucky bastards that are up in the land of the midnight sun...

I WANNA BE IN ALASKA!!!

Awww we wish you were here! Been thinking of you. Maybe you'll get another chance! :-) I'll sure be back if it happens again. Just amazing country, cool people, nice venues, good beer and lots of dancing space!

Archived