Busts At Nlqp

flairblair

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

saw there was some dope busts at nlqp, on fb there was a mention of cancelling shows. is there any way to get some valid information? bought my tix on friday, i need to know!

Because I frequent the park, and I was there when the cops rolled in... I'll say... first of all, I'm not sure which facebook page you're speaking of. The only one I'm familiar with is actually created by a chic that, I believe, doesn't have any say whatsoever in the park... like an enthusiastic fan. I'll try to make a longish story shorter by saying that the cops had this thing planned out... seems every spring they hit the park a little hard and, by summer, they're virtually non-existent (geez, I hope I didn't jinx the deal). Apparently, Friday of Earlybird, the cops were parked by the roundy round (for those of you that know 305), waiting for folks to drive by to give 'em a hassle. Also, the cops walked through the park Friday and were stopping some folks asking if they could search them. Of course, that's intimidating and forces one to exercise their 4th Amendment rights. Evan was thrown off and surprised and wanted to know to what extent folks were being hassled. Shortly after, the cops left (by 11:30ish). No one wants hard drugs in the park. The cops arrested 12 people, I believe that's what the small report in the paper said.

If you're wondering why, on private property, the cops can come in and search around... with the power of the Amber Alert laws, among others, if Evan refuses to let the police in... he can be accused of permitting and aiding in drug use... and could be taken to court for public nuisance.... which could result (in the extreme) in the park not being allowed to have festivals. That's pretty much the whole story on the cops.

Let me tell you, no shows are cancelled. No worries. Also, call the park anytime you worry and maybe express some gratitude for the opportunity to get together and play in the park. I've been going to shows at nlqp for over... 12 years now... I can't recall a show being cancelled. Much love ~

Because I frequent the park, and I was there when the cops rolled in... I'll say... first of all, I'm not sure which facebook page you're speaking of. The only one I'm familiar with is actually created by a chic that, I believe, doesn't have any say whatsoever in the park... like an enthusiastic fan. I'll try to make a longish story shorter by saying that the cops had this thing planned out... seems every spring they hit the park a little hard and, by summer, they're virtually non-existent (geez, I hope I didn't jinx the deal). Apparently, Friday of Earlybird, the cops were parked by the roundy round (for those of you that know 305), waiting for folks to drive by to give 'em a hassle. Also, the cops walked through the park Friday and were stopping some folks asking if they could search them. Of course, that's intimidating and forces one to exercise their 4th Amendment rights. Evan was thrown off and surprised and wanted to know to what extent folks were being hassled. Shortly after, the cops left (by 11:30ish). No one wants hard drugs in the park. The cops arrested 12 people, I believe that's what the small report in the paper said.

If you're wondering why, on private property, the cops can come in and search around... with the power of the Amber Alert laws, among others, if Evan refuses to let the police in... he can be accused of permitting and aiding in drug use... and could be taken to court for public nuisance.... which could result (in the extreme) in the park not being allowed to have festivals. That's pretty much the whole story on the cops.

Let me tell you, no shows are cancelled. No worries. Also, call the park anytime you worry and maybe express some gratitude for the opportunity to get together and play in the park. I've been going to shows at nlqp for over... 12 years now... I can't recall a show being cancelled. Much love ~

By hard drug use you mean LSD, Mushrooms, and Marijuana? Because thats the only thing those 12 kids got popped with, minus the one retard who had a gun. And By non existent in the summer, do you really mean only in undercover form? Because I was there last year at GFest and saw kids get arrested by undercover pigs dressed like wannabe hippies. I think if you google last years GFest it says like 12 got bagged on Thurs, and another 10 on Fri?? So yes folks cops are there, whether theyre in full uniforms or tyedyes and hemp necklaces. just BE CAREFUL and you will be fine. The Quarry is the best place on Earth, and DSO is the best band, and they cant take that away from us!

• Forum MVP

Having done a 3yr stint of public service and having had perfectly reasonable, polite citizens come to me and my colleagues with complaints of drunken and discourteous people tumbling out of a bar after midnight and barfing/peeing/littering on their front lawns, I can sympathize with the local authorities. Folks can distinguish between kinds of drugs all they want, and the folks that craft the laws typically do so differently than do the folks who populate music fests. You're always smart to remember that, and to remember that the police are doing what the people who live there ask them to do. The way to be on the right side of stuff like this is to treat the locals and the police who represent them with respect as you would want visitors to your town to do. I know that most longtimers here are experts at that. Nonetheless it's from the "worth repeating" department. ...not to mention the importance of pressuring others likewise.

nlqp is hands down the best venue for the boys, and the goal is to keep the band at nlqp and nlqp in the festival biz. i am getting ready for my third go round at gdfest, and after seeing dso all over, i gladly drive 600 miles for this event. i have never had any type of negativity there. what gets me concerned is something i saw in michelle's post above, the po po asking to randomly search. how does one politely decline a gracious offer to violate one's rights, and by refusing, does one open another really smelly can of worms? conversely, what kind of shit for brains brings a gun to that peaceful place? i can see the man getting pissed about that. im all for no guns no blow and no tanks at nlqp, but as a head living in the bible belt south, i get really f ing tired of being hassled because i have some stickers on my car. rant over, peace

1. there is, what i think, a safer route to the ledges. Come in from the north via 422. You won't go through the square which is often a trap.

2. Don't puff before entering the park. it's just common sense. If you get pulled over and your car smells like cheech and chong's then you are fucked. show some restraint.

3. If a cop asks to search you - or anyone else - don't be defensive be polite. Just ask if there is any reasonable cause. Just don't be an asshole and you are more likely to be let go. Show respect. Don't flaunt your shit. Know your rights.

I was at Spring Hookah and there was a 5-0 presence on friday but none on saturday. I was at the vending area when they were going vendor to vendor looking to see if anyone was selling "Bath Salt". That was a new one to me. they seemed cool if you weren't an asshole.

Just be smart and don't be an asshole. An attitude you should have regardless of a 5-0 presence or not.

1. there is, what i think, a safer route to the ledges. Come in from the north via 422. You won't go through the square which is often a trap.

2. Don't puff before entering the park. it's just common sense. If you get pulled over and your car smells like cheech and chong's then you are fucked. show some restraint.

3. If a cop asks to search you - or anyone else - don't be defensive be polite. Just ask if there is any reasonable cause. Just don't be an asshole and you are more likely to be let go. Show respect. Don't flaunt your shit. Know your rights.

I was at Spring Hookah and there was a 5-0 presence on friday but none on saturday. I was at the vending area when they were going vendor to vendor looking to see if anyone was selling "Bath Salt". That was a new one to me. they seemed cool if you weren't an asshole.

Just be smart and don't be an asshole. An attitude you should have regardless of a 5-0 presence or not.

thanks for the tip on rt 422; ill be coming from the south, but if its on a map, ill find it. living in small towns for most of my life, one thing you learn is to puff in private, and never in the car. dont make the man's job easy, for christs sake. this whole search situation is new to me. granted, i have lived exclusively in the northeast and on the west coast, where americans often assume they have rights, but last year i moved to the SOUTH. po po here is crazy- they get you out of the car and them into the car nosing around immediately. and being asked to submit to voluntary random searches- isnt that the shit we go to wars about? lastly, bath salts are kinda like the legal buzz products now available at gas stations and 7-11s cross our great land. chemical combinations that science has no clue about when smoked or snorted. chop up a line of ajax and youre on the right trail. peace, out

Having done a 3yr stint of public service and having had perfectly reasonable, polite citizens come to me and my colleagues with complaints of drunken and discourteous people tumbling out of a bar after midnight and barfing/peeing/littering on their front lawns, I can sympathize with the local authorities. Folks can distinguish between kinds of drugs all they want, and the folks that craft the laws typically do so differently than do the folks who populate music fests. You're always smart to remember that, and to remember that the police are doing what the people who live there ask them to do. The way to be on the right side of stuff like this is to treat the locals and the police who represent them with respect as you would want visitors to your town to do. I know that most longtimers here are experts at that. Nonetheless it's from the "worth repeating" department. ...not to mention the importance of pressuring others likewise.

+1......Count me as one that does not view Law Enforcement as either "Swine" or the enemy..

My best friend being a St. Louis City Detective who would not in a million years arrest someone for possession of weed...

Unfortunately there is Law Enforcement that take things to the extreme and those are the ones that you hear about..as opposed to the good people doing their jobs everyday to protect the public

Just like the sterotype of "Hiippies" and "Drug Abusers"...Also unfortuanately reinforced by the Extremists within this camp that wear it on their sleeves and lack respect...

Let me get this straight they are pulling people over at random on the way into the park and asking to search? What happens if you so no. Inside the park are they trying to buy drugs or are they selling and busting buyers or even worse are they busting people for just smoking and asking for random searches of people in the park.

:dsorocks:

Coming in from the north via 422 and getting on 282 (the road nlqp is on)... which I have countless times.. takes you through Nelson Kennedy Ledges State Park.... unless you take 422 to 305 to 282... so you may still be subject to hassle going through the state park imho.....

Overall, the sentiment that is reinforced is... don't be an ass... turn on that Love Light and keep it shining bright ~

Like Hedges said, " 3. If a cop asks to search you - or anyone else - don't be defensive be polite. Just ask if there is any reasonable cause. Just don't be an asshole and you are more likely to be let go. Show respect. Don't flaunt your shit. Know your rights.

Just be smart and don't be an asshole. An attitude you should have regardless of a 5-0 presence or not."

I'd heard something about the bath salts thing at spring hookah. I sell some pizza by the beach, seeing a lot of folks and staying very alert most of the weekend... I did not see, but only heard, about the cops hassling people.

Yes, anyone can buy a ticket to a show... you, me or an undercover cop.

As we get warmed up to this festival season... let us reflect on the errors of decades past... let go of ego attachments... turn on your love light ... and leave it on ~

peace

Let me get this straight they are pulling people over at random on the way into the park and asking to search? What happens if you so no. Inside the park are they trying to buy drugs or are they selling and busting buyers or even worse are they busting people for just smoking and asking for random searches of people in the park.

you said, "Inside the park, are they trying to buy drugs or are they selling and busting buyers? Or even worse, are they busting people for just smoking and asking for random searches of people in the park?"

Jeez... how do I address this on a public board <_< illegal drugs are illegal... cops look for illegal drugs.... if a schmo is walking through the woods saying something like "Molly" and they're not looking for their girlfriend... then ... chances are someone will throw them outta the park.

As with most any other public space in America, discretion is the key. I cannot emphasize that enough... really! Nelson Ledges Quarry Park is a beautiful place for people of all ages. I always say that kids rule there (and I mean little kids). No one wants some little kid to find some stuff on the ground, think it's some kind of candy and end up freakin' the heck out in the medic tent.

Simply, don't be a schmuck. When you drive, don't have a bong by your driver's seat. Don't ask the cop if he needs some LSD. Don't bring hard drugs to sell at the park... unless you're very confident that your ninja skills will cover you. As for the cops... again discretion is the key. Don't stand in the middle of shakedown smoking pot or doing a drug deal.

And, if you can, come to Nelson Ledges Quarry Park to have a good time. Come to the park with love in your heart... smile and relax

:grouphug:

• Forum MVP

Again, always remember that the police represent their constituency. They aren't staking out the roundy round for fun. They're doing it because local residents who pay their salary ask them to do so. ...which in turn is because they see the nlqp crowd as something other than a friendly welcome visitor. It is up to the nlqp crowd to manage that perception or risk losing the privilege. First ammendment, fourth ammendment, and other rights apply to property owners too.

Last year they had a couple controlled buyers, and they were trying to buy drugs. Only bigger amounts like 20 rolls, or a sheet, or a zip although my neighbor got bagged for selling an 8th... I would never try to sell drugs especially at that place its tooo risky. Just go to NLQP to have the best weekend ever!! Not to try and make a profit!! and like Herdy and Michelle said KNOW YOUR RIGHTS, the ohio police are tough guys... :dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

Again, always remember that the police represent their constituency. They aren't staking out the roundy round for fun. They're doing it because local residents who pay their salary ask them to do so. ...which in turn is because they see the nlqp crowd as something other than a friendly welcome visitor. It is up to the nlqp crowd to manage that perception or risk losing the privilege. First ammendment, fourth ammendment, and other rights apply to property owners too.

I think this is something that everyone should keep in mind.

And everyone absolutely needs to please remember that asset forfeiture laws are on the books on the federal level and in every state. Ohio is no exception. Remember the Camp Zoe experience.

Lots of good advice here! I hate to sound like your mothers here but I really feel 'kill 'em with kindness' is the best strategy. Smile at the officers! Who is it hurting? And if you are out and about in the local area, show them how great of a crowd we are. Support the local economy, smile and wave, and for god sakes stay off of people's property.

I agree everyone should know their rights. However.... I work in a semi-close capacity with law enforcement and they will do whatever the fuck they want for the most part. I have seen searches here where they said the person consented to it... who do you think the judge believes? The guy who they found drugs on or the cop? Sad truth. But again, if you are nice you have so much less of a chance of being hassled.

As far as the bath salts go.. stay the hell away from that shit! They made it illegal now so hopefully it will go away but where I live it's almost an epidemic. People are getting committed to psychiatric hospitals, getting arrested, hurting themselves or others, od'ing. The chemical composition is similar to meth and it's extrememly addictive. Also people are experiencing extreme hallucinations and delusions and still experiencing them months after their last dose. Just because it's available at 7 11 doesn't mean it's ok! And pot's illegal. :wacko:

• Forum MVP

you said, "Inside the park, are they trying to buy drugs or are they selling and busting buyers? Or even worse, are they busting people for just smoking and asking for random searches of people in the park?"

Jeez... how do I address this on a public board <_< illegal drugs are illegal... cops look for illegal drugs.... if a schmo is walking through the woods saying something like "Molly" and they're not looking for their girlfriend... then ... chances are someone will throw them outta the park.

As with most any other public space in America, discretion is the key. I cannot emphasize that enough... really! Nelson Ledges Quarry Park is a beautiful place for people of all ages. I always say that kids rule there (and I mean little kids). No one wants some little kid to find some stuff on the ground, think it's some kind of candy and end up freakin' the heck out in the medic tent.

Simply, don't be a schmuck. When you drive, don't have a bong by your driver's seat. Don't ask the cop if he needs some LSD. Don't bring hard drugs to sell at the park... unless you're very confident that your ninja skills will cover you. As for the cops... again discretion is the key. Don't stand in the middle of shakedown smoking pot or doing a drug deal.

And, if you can, come to Nelson Ledges Quarry Park to have a good time. Come to the park with love in your heart... smile and relax

:grouphug:

Michelle

It will be great to see you. I will bring plenty of smiles and love as I know you will. Thanks for the timely advice everyone. See you guys at the playground.

• Advisory Board

The way I come into the Ledes is I=70 West. keep on I-70 west after the I-70/I-80 split... the second exit is route 534.. Take 534 all the way to Rt. 422... Left on 422, then a left on 305... about 3-4 miles down the road on 305 make a right on to 282, and the Ledges is about a mile up on the left... NEVER have seen a cop taking that route.. sure it might take about 10 minutes longer, but it's well worth the extra time...

Plus, driving on 534 you drive through the town of Newton Falls, and there is an IGA (grocery store) to stock up on last minute items, and a McDonalds if you want to grab a few double cheeseburgers, and take a nice shit before being locked down into the port-o-pots for a few days...

McDonalds if you want to grab a few double cheeseburgers, and take a nice shit before being locked down into the port-o-pots for a few days...

I come in from the west and take Herdy's "nice shit," at the McDonalds in Mantua prior to arriving. Nice to know I'm not alone.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

simple things help as well if by chance you get pulled over on the drive in...

have a valid drivers license, proof of insurance, updated tags on the car, headlights and brake lights that work...

and don't pull a Jeff Spicoli in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" when the car door opens... :unsure:

again simple steps ...

Archived