• wave to to the wind?
    • if the shoe fits?
    • samba?
    • way to go home?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

yes, another poll.... I'm sure there's a few more...

I didn't see All of the above!?! I thought that it was required for all multiple choice questions. Oh well. They all stink even though I sat through what seemed like 30 versions of each of them. I'll take a whole show of Picassos and Corinas before wanting to hear these other entries.

That said, even though I voted for Samba (your clear winner of this poll), I heard one (Deer Creek?) that had this Calypso-esque, reggae vibe that Jerry took to an interesting place. Outside of that one, the cheesy Tubes-infused dribble became the preverbial needle-off-the record during some really good shows. Oh well - you can't get them all right. Just ask Dylan about Lay-Lady-Lay....what was he thinking?!?

• Forum MVP

I didn't see All of the above!?! I thought that it was required for all multiple choice questions. Oh well. They all stink even though I sat through what seemed like 30 versions of each of them. I'll take a whole show of Picassos and Corinas before wanting to hear these other entries.

That said, even though I voted for Samba (your clear winner of this poll), I heard one (Deer Creek?) that had this Calypso-esque, reggae vibe that Jerry took to an interesting place. Outside of that one, the cheesy Tubes-infused dribble became the preverbial needle-off-the record during some really good shows. Oh well - you can't get them all right. Just ask Dylan about Lay-Lady-Lay....what was he thinking?!?

Very true, best samba played was in Pittsburgh (I think), samba was played in a trio--- rain (beatles) - samba- ll rain during a horrific downpour... so samba's out in my book...

I love corrina now but hated back then, eaton does a mean corina.

shoe fits is downright dreadful, i mean painful, awful with no redeeming qualities....

here's a taste:

Run along, take your ball and go home

Take a hike, we ain't got all night

Take your ball, get out my house, go home

• Forum MVP

shoe fits is downright dreadful, i mean painful, awful with no redeeming qualities....

here's a taste:

Run along, take your ball and go home

Take a hike, we ain't got all night

Take your ball, get out my house, go home

No, Shoe isn't dreadful. I know most people think it is but it's not :). It's not a great song but when you heard it for the third time on a tour, it started to get better, not worse and that was the test. Live was always the test, and it still is. The truly terrible songs for me, like Samba or Way to Go Home or Picasso Moon or Wave to the Wind got worse. Worse on your ears. Worse on your hypothalamus. Worse on your amygdala. Worse on your hippocampus. Worse on your entire limbic system! Not to mention worse on your soul.

Granted, Vince could make a good song like All Too Much sound harsh and grating so maybe it was his voice or style that rubbed me the wrong way as much as those songs (Sorry....RIP Vince). Maybe Garcia could have done Way to Go Home decently...who knows.

• Forum MVP

No, Shoe isn't dreadful. I know most people think it is but it's not :). It's not a great song but when you heard it for the third time on a tour, it started to get better, not worse and that was the test. Live was always the test, and it still is. The truly terrible songs for me, like Samba or Way to Go Home or Picasso Moon or Wave to the Wind got worse. Worse on your ears. Worse on your hypothalamus. Worse on your amygdala. Worse on your hippocampus. Worse on your entire limbic system! Not to mention worse on your soul.

Granted, Vince could make a good song like All Too Much sound harsh and grating so maybe it was his voice or style that rubbed me the wrong way as much as those songs (Sorry....RIP Vince). Maybe Garcia could have done Way to Go Home decently...who knows.

I knew you would chime in...I actually heard jk to way to go home recently and it was really really good....

• Forum MVP

I voted for Wave because the melody, which I believe was changed at least once, was nebulous and unpleasant to say the least.

If they changed the melody/timing/chords or this song, I don't think I noticed...unless I am forgetting which could be the case.

The beginning riff to this song always reminded me of Jackson's single 'Black or White'.

• Forum MVP

Wave to the Wind wins but it's tough competition with Samba in the mix.

Corinna doesn't even begin to compare with the retched disgust of the above two. Long Way Home comes closer, but is still, well, a long way away.

David, I can't engage in a meaningful debate about Shoe Fits because honestly I've erased its existence from my brain. I know it isn't a good song, at least as presented by the Dead, but I have no memory how bad it may or may not be.

• Forum MVP

Wave to the Wind wins but it's tough competition with Samba in the mix.

Corinna doesn't even begin to compare with the retched disgust of the above two. Long Way Home comes closer, but is still, well, a long way away.

David, I can't engage in a meaningful debate about Shoe Fits because honestly I've erased its existence from my brain. I know it isn't a good song, at least as presented by the Dead, but I have no memory how bad it may or may not be.

I have some stuff I've been meaning to send you and so I'll add some great FMs of Childhood's End and Shoe to something.

All I ask is that you listen with an open mind.

:)

It's not like I'm defending Shoe as a great or even good song or anything but it's better than Wave. It's not despicable.

And Childhood's End IS a good song.

• Forum MVP

I have some stuff I've been meaning to send you and so I'll add some great FMs of Childhood's End and Shoe to something.

All I ask is that you listen with an open mind.

:)

It's not like I'm defending Shoe as a great or even good song or anything but it's better than Wave. It's not despicable.

And Childhood's End IS a good song.

Wave To The Wind

Lyrics By: Robert Hunter

Music By: Phil Lesh

Gonna wave, gonna wave

Gonna wave to the wind

Gonna wave my way

My way on through the wind

Gonna wave, gonna wave

Gonna wave to the wind

Gonna wave my way to

Places I never have been

Gonna wave to the curious people (note 1)

Looking on from the side of

The road as I'm rolling on by

Wave goodbye to the trouble

That's always on my mind

Gonna jumpstart my life

Or go down trying

Gonna wave to the memories

I carry in my heart and the

New ones I'll find along my way

To the new millennium

Reeling round the bend like

A dove or some dark-winged bird of prey

Gonna wave, gonna wave

Gonna wave to the wind

Gonna wave my way

Gonna wave, gonna wave

Gonna wave to the wind

Gonna wave my way to the

Edge of the world and jump in

Gonna snap like a rippling banner (note 2)

Sailing sheets to the breeze over

Cloudy oceans to the moon (note 3)

I could hold out forever

Keeping it together

Or wish upon a star and call the tune

Lift my voice like the young man (note 4)

Broken in the war who

Cries out to know the reason why (note 5)

Gonna stand and deliver (note 6)

A passionate song to the

High wide and handsome morning sky

Gonna wave, gonna wave

Gonna wave to the wind

Gonna wave my way

Gonna wave, gonna wave

Gonna wave while the wind

Plays the stars, the sky, the

Moon and the night like a hymn

Gonna ride with the rolling thunder (note 7)

Let the sky crack assunder

As lightning cries out of the rain

Gonna wade across rivers

Gathered in the stream from the

Mountains that rise above the plain

Wave away my confusion

That drives this delusion (note 8)

So long I forgot that I could fly

Soar aloft like a songbird

Dancing in the wind

Singing long, singing loud, singing high

Gonna wave, gonna wave

Gonna wave to the wind

Gonna wave my way

Gonna speak to the breeze

Add my voice to the wind

Singing: say, can you see

By the dawn's early light streaming in?

This song went through a rewrite between its first introduction in 1992 and its reappearance in 1993. The version immediately below is the later version as Phil sings it, with notes marking variations from the Hunter lyric book "Box Of Rain" or from the sheet music in the songbook "Anthology II". Following that is one of the earlier 1992 versions.

(1) this is as Phil sings it and as in the songbook, but Box Of Rain has "gonna wave to the people" (ie no "curious")

(2) Box Of Rain has no "rippling"

I just threw up...

Am I the only one here who cringes when hearing the first notes of Dupree's Diamond Blues? Not saying it comes even close to some of the previous listed clunkers, but I just find it completely monotonous. It just sucks the energy out of the show for me.

Perhaps this would be better in a new thread: "Songs that many love that just don't do it for you"

Guest Lisacat

Perhaps this would be better in a new thread: "Songs that many love that just don't do it for you"

I think that would be interesting....I have a couple songs in that category that people would try to certify me for. I usually don't talk about them to avoid verbal persecution. And there are a couple that were in this category and seemed to have redeemed themselves with me.

As far as the songs noted above, I don't dislike Day Job. I just think of it as a silly little song that at least has a rhythm and can be danced to. To refer to another thread, I'd take it over Picasso Moon anyday. That "movie-ooooeeee" line bugs the shit out of me. Too much cheese Bobby....and I love Bobby.

And I'll admit I have never listened to Wave, Samba, or Shoe- I have absolutely no clue what they sound like and I'm OK keeping it like that. Having never seen Jerry, I tend to stick to listening to shows pre-91.

I really have nothing to say regarding Way to Go Home....think I've listened to it once and thats enough. I wasn't thoroughly disgusted by it though.

Hey, I LOVE Picasso Moon! And while I really dislike the GD version of Corrina, I think Ratdog in the early 00's absolutely crush it with that song.

I don't think I've ever sat through a Wave to the Wind or a Shoe Fits when they show up on iTunes when I have a show on. Always ready to skip right to the next one.

• Forum MVP

Am I the only one here who cringes when hearing the first notes of Dupree's Diamond Blues? Not saying it comes even close to some of the previous listed clunkers, but I just find it completely monotonous. It just sucks the energy out of the show for me.

yes, i suppose, but I chose non- controversial picks. I doubt anyone would say "I love day job" but i could be wrong...

Yes.

For 200 shows I waited for those first notes. I never got 'em!

Well, so far I seem to be getting smacked down (politely of course!) on this. I like the story being told in the lyrics, but I just find the melody rather repetitious and, for lack of a better word, "clunky". it just doesn't seem to flow in a smooth manner to my ears. Even the guitar solo often sounds kind of forced. There's no accounting for taste and I'm sure some of my favorites are also yours.

Again, I didn't mean to suggest that Dupree's comes remotely close to some of horrors previously mentioned. It just seemed interesting to make a comment on a song that many like, but which personally leave me completely flat and anxious to have over.

• Forum MVP

shoe fits isnt that bad of a song! i listen to the vegas 94 version once a year (but that satisfies my craving for shoe for the whole year!)

and picasso rocks! but there are some really shoddy versions back there though..huge difference between a bad moon and a good one

my least favorite song that everyone else loves is bid you goodnight. i want a guitar solo, not a baby's bedtime song!

Archived