24 members have voted

1. 1. worst ever?

• day job?
    • wave to to the wind?
    • if the shoe fits?
    • samba?
    • way to go home?

Guest Lisacat

my least favorite song that everyone else loves is bid you goodnight. i want a guitar solo, not a baby's bedtime song!

oh come on now you can't say that the bid you goodnight in Eugene wasn't one of the most sacred, give-you-goosebumps kind of moments at a dso show.....

:)

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

There's nothing wrong with not liking a song, no matter what it is (unless it's written by Dylan).

I think I've used this before regarding Tenn Jed; I've never really been moved by that song. I dug it the first 6 or 7 times I heard it in concert and then it just never really did anything for me.

I've also said this before here...we don't choose when dopamine is released, It just happens!

That doesn't mean I would ever consider Tenn Jed a bad song, because it's a great song. I just don't get off on it, even when I hear really great versions.

I can say the exact same thing about Loose Lucy except that I got tired of that song by second or third time I heard it live.

I think we can all agree that Duprees is a pretty great song, even though it doesn't have the typical Garcia smoothness that say, an Althea or Standing on the Moon has. The chorus IS kind of clunky, but it's a great story and a great song, warts and all.

Does that mean everyone is going to like it? Of course not.

In terms of the GD, I think it's a pretty big one though, even though it was rarely played during the last bunch of years (I only heard two of them), and since I never toured when the GD when they were opening sets with that legendary trifecta (Mountains>Duprees>Dark Star), I was pretty pumped to see DSO do that opening in grand style with Mattson not too long ago!

Guest Lisacat

I'm probably going to get stoned for this- that is, in the rock-throwing biblical sense, the popular song that I do not care for is They Love Eachother. It elicits the same response in me that I get when there are two people making out in front of me in the line at the airport. I try so hard to say to myself, well thats sweet, look how happy they are, but instead I find myself wanting to vomit. Ok so maybe TLEO doesn't make me want to vomit, but its a little too soft and mushy for me. I have the same issue with Thats what love will make you do. Maybe I'm just a cynical bitch, but give me a sugaree or althea instead please.

And I really actually don't think its the pukey mushy thing that gets me- because I love some of the other Jerry love songs like Believe it or not or If i had the world to give.

I'll save my "I'll be happy if I never hear XXX again" Bobby tunes for another time.

• Forum MVP

Oh yeah....I keep forgetting. The worst GD song ever is 'What's Become of the Baby?'.

Granted, I never took Garcia's advice and listened to this one on nitrous but I'm still going to list it as the worst one.

My guess is he would have wanted it that way.

• Forum MVP

Oh yeah....I keep forgetting. The worst GD song ever is 'What's Become of the Baby?'.

Granted, I never took Garcia's advice and listened to this one on nitrous but I'm still going to list it as the worst one.

My guess is he would have wanted it that way.

Furthur did that at msg, like going to the dentist, I think Phil sang the vocals, which in mind, is never good. (Sorry, he's good on harmonies and I know it was cute back in the day, but since Garcia died, i have had enough of Phil's vocals for 100 life times.)

Lisa, I completely agree on the they love each other, it reminds me of a wedding song....

I too don't care much for TLEO and I also agree What's become of the baby is probably the worst of all. I do however love Dupree's, and my cat is even named Dupree :) I love having these conversations! We heads take these things seriously! I'll go ahead and throw my neck out there and say the song that makes me run off for a beer is Days Between, especially when thrown right smack in the middle of the 2nd set! My tastes have changed over the years so I never completely give up on a song.

• Forum MVP

I too don't care much for TLEO and I also agree What's become of the baby is probably the worst of all. I do however love Dupree's, and my cat is even named Dupree :) I love having these conversations! We heads take these things seriously! I'll go ahead and throw my neck out there and say the song that makes me run off for a beer is Days Between, especially when thrown right smack in the middle of the 2nd set! My tastes have changed over the years so I never completely give up on a song.

maybe the next one will be more controversial, I have a few that would be considered blasphemous...

• Forum MVP

I'm probably going to get stoned for this- that is, in the rock-throwing biblical sense, the popular song that I do not care for is They Love Eachother. It elicits the same response in me that I get when there are two people making out in front of me in the line at the airport. I try so hard to say to myself, well thats sweet, look how happy they are, but instead I find myself wanting to vomit. Ok so maybe TLEO doesn't make me want to vomit, but its a little too soft and mushy for me. I have the same issue with Thats what love will make you do. Maybe I'm just a cynical bitch, but give me a sugaree or althea instead please.

And I really actually don't think its the pukey mushy thing that gets me- because I love some of the other Jerry love songs like Believe it or not or If i had the world to give.

I'll save my "I'll be happy if I never hear XXX again" Bobby tunes for another time.

If you were the one doing the kissing I bet you would not think that way.... it is good to be loved..

Guest Lisacat

maybe the next one will be more controversial, I have a few that would be considered blasphemous...

yea, I have a couple songs that I do love but only when the moment is right....otherwise I will take a walk. Here's one- Terrapin Station. I am amazed by the beauty and complexity of it, I have to be in the mood for it...... I love hearing it at an outdoors show - beautiful when the moon is shining and stars are out. But play it in a rinky dinky venue with little dance room, it will be time for a beer or bathroom break.

• Forum MVP

OK, now that this thread has become True Confessions time, I have a little something to share.

I loathe Eyes. In fact, "loathe" does a disservice to all synonyms for "detest" but it will do.

From the first insipid notes of the inevitable interminable jam (a good time to go get the oil changed) leading up to the lyrics, I know it is going to be another 20 minutes of my life that I will never, ever be able to get back. If time is going to be such a thief, why can't he it at least make it be good for me, too? But nope, that jam is like an aural Rape of Nanking. Even though you know it will sometime run out of steam, the experience is proof that what doesn't kill you does not always make you stronger.

But after the swirly girly be-bop highs and lows dosey-doe notes of the intro jam come the lyrics. Hippie self-indulgence at its finest. That crap makes The Phish's offerings read like Dostoyevsky. "Lazy summer home" - glad you can afford one, king of the trustafarians; some people have to work. "Wings a mile long" - hell, to even think of that you have to be a card-carrying member of the sheet of the month club. The closest thing I've seen to that at a show was a pterodactyl and he did't have wings, just horns. But that is another story for another time.

The second verse - what kind of psuedo-spiritual drek is this? Something from a dream you had one afternoon long ago? Thanks for sharing! And "the night comes so quiet, it's close on the heels of the day..." WTF is it supposed to do? Rage like a Viking in heat and then have a cigarette break?

More jamming. More pointless abuse of musical instruments that did nothing to deserve this torture, when all they want to do is rock. But at this point you figure that maybe, just maybe, the end is in sight. All you have to do is be strong, like enduring an extra vigorous cleaning by a really pissed off dental hygenist.

And there it is - the third verse. By this time the imagery is kind of weak. I think the evocative wad was shot after "loaded with clay," and the repeated "sometimes" in the last verse just goes to show that. If it is a song of your own, just keep it to yourself. The shower is a nice place for that.

The only thing worse than a stand-alone Eyes is when it caps off the Trifecta from Hell, Scarlet>Fire, Estimated. That truly is is 9th Circle.

Don't get me started on SOTM. If you'd really "rather be with you," then get your munchies-engorged ass off the back porch and do something about it. And "Foolish Heart" - stop whining about it and check out your degrees of compatibility on e harmony. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Meh.

Guest Lisacat

If you were the one doing the kissing I bet you would not think that way.... it is good to be loved..

Maybe, but I still won't like the song.

• Forum MVP

How many times have you listened to it?

My guess is you haven't heard that song three times in its entirety.

Stone's calling bullshit....I will lock you in a closet and make you listen to the one from msg 2010 with Phil singing....

• Forum MVP

OK, now that this thread has become True Confessions time, I have a little something to share.

I loathe Eyes. In fact, "loathe" does a disservice to all synonyms for "detest" but it will do.

From the first insipid notes of the inevitable interminable jam (a good time to go get the oil changed) leading up to the lyrics, I know it is going to be another 20 minutes of my life that I will never, ever be able to get back. If time is going to be such a thief, why can't he it at least make it be good for me, too? But nope, that jam is like an aural Rape of Nanking. Even though you know it will sometime run out of steam, the experience is proof that what doesn't kill you does not always make you stronger.

But after the swirly girly be-bop highs and lows dosey-doe notes of the intro jam come the lyrics. Hippie self-indulgence at its finest. That crap makes The Phish's offerings read like Dostoyevsky. "Lazy summer home" - glad you can afford one, king of the trustafarians; some people have to work. "Wings a mile long" - hell, to even think of that you have to be a card-carrying member of the sheet of the month club. The closest thing I've seen to that at a show was a pterodactyl and he did't have wings, just horns. But that is another story for another time.

The second verse - what kind of psuedo-spiritual drek is this? Something from a dream you had one afternoon long ago? Thanks for sharing! And "the night comes so quiet, it's close on the heels of the day..." WTF is it supposed to do? Rage like a Viking in heat and then have a cigarette break?

More jamming. More pointless abuse of musical instruments that did nothing to deserve this torture, when all they want to do is rock. But at this point you figure that maybe, just maybe, the end is in sight. All you have to do is be strong, like enduring an extra vigorous cleaning by a really pissed off dental hygenist.

And there it is - the third verse. By this time the imagery is kind of weak. I think the evocative wad was shot after "loaded with clay," and the repeated "sometimes" in the last verse just goes to show that. If it is a song of your own, just keep it to yourself. The shower is a nice place for that.

The only thing worse than a stand-alone Eyes is when it caps off the Trifecta from Hell, Scarlet>Fire, Estimated. That truly is is 9th Circle.

Don't get me started on SOTM. If you'd really "rather be with you," then get your munchies-engorged ass off the back porch and do something about it. And "Foolish Heart" - stop whining about it and check out your degrees of compatibility on e harmony. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Meh.

• Forum MVP

Ooopss...sorry for the previous post...just still learning the nuances of this "multiquote" function...

Chuck's quotes:

[but after the swirly girly be-bop highs and lows dosey-doe notes of the intro jam come the lyrics. Hippie self-indulgence at its finest. That crap makes The Phish's offerings read like Dostoyevsky. "Lazy summer home" - glad you can afford one, king of the trustafarians; some people have to work. "Wings a mile long" - hell, to even think of that you have to be a card-carrying member of the sheet of the month club. The closest thing I've seen to that at a show was a pterodactyl and he did't have wings, just horns. But that is another story for another time.

Was just wanting to say that I haven't laughed this hard in a while....fucking classic!!!

Chuck,,,I think if I were a musician, I might try and write some music and turn elements of your post into a new song......he he.....(you'd get half the royalties, of course)

Guest Lisacat

Alright, you want controversal do ya? OK Dark Star. How's that one? Not a fan. I get that it's the master vehicle for spacey jams.... but I just don't care for it. But it works out great because the bathroom lines are really short during dark star!

I don't think that is very uncommon....I know we've had the Dark Star debate on here before. I think its a song you either love or at the least, are ambivalent about. I happen to be someone who loves Dark Star- but it took me many Dark Stars to find my love for it. Or maybe it was something else. Maybe its an aquired taste for some, maybe some will never love it, but its not a song that when someone says they don't care for, I'm shocked. That would be stella blue. Any stella blue haters out there? Is there one song that all deadheads will unanimously agree that you can't call yourself a deadhead unless you love? I doubt it.....and thats whats great about this playground.

Guest Lisacat

. The closest thing I've seen to that at a show was a pterodactyl and he did't have wings, just horns. But that is another story for another time.

rofl.gif

Like everything else, I have to be in the mood for a Dark Star. And it has to be a GOOD Dark Star. Call me crazy, but I don't like those ones where it's all ambient noodling for 15 minutes. I like my jams a little tighter, a little more focused. Maybe I just have a short attention span! I would never use Dark Star for a piss break, though, because I'd be liable to come back and have missed something epic!

If I had to pick a good "piss/beer break song," it would have to be one that is good but not great and doesn't even have the possibility of anything overly incendiary happening. I'll be honest, Beat It On Down the Line doesn't really do it for me.

• Forum MVP

I actually never understood the whole piss break thing. How anyone could leave to go take a piss when Garcia was plugged in was beyond me.

I've never known anyone in my group who ever did that, no matter if that was their 50th show or 400th.

Especially when it was so easy to avoid the crowds by being one of the first people in the bathroom at the start of half time, while the majority of folks were just beginning to accept the reality that the lights had just been turned on.

If it was a Way to Go Home or some other song that someone didn't like....that was time for bong hits, not a piss break.

Archived