New York Steve

24 members have voted

1. 1. worst ever?

• day job?
    • wave to to the wind?
    • if the shoe fits?
    • samba?
    • way to go home?

I'm very surprised to hear that people listing 'dark star' as one of their least favorite songs. Can't help but feel like you are missing out on some of the GD's most groundbreaking and expansive work here. At the risk of sounding judgemental I'll say this- I think that you have just yet to discover the beauty and magic in it. I'm sorry but there is a reason that our favorite band is called the "Dark Star Orchestra".

I'll take a 25 minute dark star any day of the week, 'aimless noodling' and all. Part of what is so special about dark star is the many changes and landscapes it goes through. You can't have the euphoria without the insanity. :icon14: :icon14:

I don't hate Dark Star, it's just on the bottom of my list. I appreciate the exploratory nature of it and definitely have versions I do like. I said before I never give up on songs because there have been several I didn't used to care for and now I do. But I have seen and listened to plenty-o-dark stars. I never saw Jerry, but I have seen every incarnation of the boys post-95 and DSO more times than I can count over the last 14 years. So it's not from lack of versions or anything like that. To each his own!

I would so much rather hear a 25 minute other one, st. stephen >11, help>slip>franklns....

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

During the recent showing of the Grateful Dead Movie, Weir and Barlow are talking about some of the recent work they had written. I can't remember exactly what they said, but it was clear that they both hated Black Throated Wind and seemed somewhat ashamed to have put out. While I don't love this song, I would rank it well above some of their other work during that era. Not sure if I ever heard the GD do it, but probably did at Winterland. More recently I've heard DSO perform the song, and I thought it was quite good. Interesting how we all have different reactions to specific songs.

• Forum MVP

During the recent showing of the Grateful Dead Movie, Weir and Barlow are talking about some of the recent work they had written. I can't remember exactly what they said, but it was clear that they both hated Black Throated Wind and seemed somewhat ashamed to have put out. While I don't love this song, I would rank it well above some of their other work during that era. Not sure if I ever heard the GD do it, but probably did at Winterland. More recently I've heard DSO perform the song, and I thought it was quite good. Interesting how we all have different reactions to specific songs.

Funny that is my favorite bobby/ barlow song, hands down.

Figures those two clowns would hate it, what do they know????

Guest Lisacat

interesting...I missed the GD movie twice now, but I would have never thought Bobby hated that song by the way he sang it (in the early years) and the number of times he sang it.

It is my favorite Bobby tune, right aside WRS. Its one of those songs I could hear at every show. Its so very human....if that makes any sense- there is so much emotion behind the lyrics and thats why I love it. You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know- one of my favorite GD lines.

Now that is some good stuff. Never thought of it like, but Chuck, u have the strangest way of making sense .. Sometimes.

Spinning that curious sense ..

OK, now that this thread has become True Confessions time, I have a little something to share.

I loathe Eyes. In fact, "loathe" does a disservice to all synonyms for "detest" but it will do.

From the first insipid notes of the inevitable interminable jam (a good time to go get the oil changed) leading up to the lyrics, I know it is going to be another 20 minutes of my life that I will never, ever be able to get back. If time is going to be such a thief, why can't he it at least make it be good for me, too? But nope, that jam is like an aural Rape of Nanking. Even though you know it will sometime run out of steam, the experience is proof that what doesn't kill you does not always make you stronger.

But after the swirly girly be-bop highs and lows dosey-doe notes of the intro jam come the lyrics. Hippie self-indulgence at its finest. That crap makes The Phish's offerings read like Dostoyevsky. "Lazy summer home" - glad you can afford one, king of the trustafarians; some people have to work. "Wings a mile long" - hell, to even think of that you have to be a card-carrying member of the sheet of the month club. The closest thing I've seen to that at a show was a pterodactyl and he did't have wings, just horns. But that is another story for another time.

The second verse - what kind of psuedo-spiritual drek is this? Something from a dream you had one afternoon long ago? Thanks for sharing! And "the night comes so quiet, it's close on the heels of the day..." WTF is it supposed to do? Rage like a Viking in heat and then have a cigarette break?

More jamming. More pointless abuse of musical instruments that did nothing to deserve this torture, when all they want to do is rock. But at this point you figure that maybe, just maybe, the end is in sight. All you have to do is be strong, like enduring an extra vigorous cleaning by a really pissed off dental hygenist.

And there it is - the third verse. By this time the imagery is kind of weak. I think the evocative wad was shot after "loaded with clay," and the repeated "sometimes" in the last verse just goes to show that. If it is a song of your own, just keep it to yourself. The shower is a nice place for that.

The only thing worse than a stand-alone Eyes is when it caps off the Trifecta from Hell, Scarlet>Fire, Estimated. That truly is is 9th Circle.

Don't get me started on SOTM. If you'd really "rather be with you," then get your munchies-engorged ass off the back porch and do something about it. And "Foolish Heart" - stop whining about it and check out your degrees of compatibility on e harmony. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Meh.

• Forum MVP

I think that's just part of the phenomenon over the years where the absence of songs in the Dead repetoire often helped them to acheieve cult status.

That's a good point. People would have freaked out if Golden Road was broken out but after hearing that song in the heavy rotation for a year, people like myself would have really tired of it. Same thing for lots of their old songs that Phil and Bob are playing now.

I remember people were BEGGING for the return of Help>Slip in '88 and by '93, I heard some of the same people wanting the pair Stranger>Franks back!

People hating on a beautiful song like BMR and then the same people begging for it after it has been gone for a bit.

I have listened to the recording more than three times Stone... Actually, I've probably played What's Become of the Baby more than any other song on Aoxomoxoa. I love the full range of Garcia's voice in the song...

That's cool. I know others who like that recording also.

May I suggest an album by Lou Reed entitled Metal Machine Music?

Guest Lisacat

I would agree with that! This should be good... let's see if there is in fact 1 we can agree on.

hmm Dead songs that no one thinks suck. We have 2. Perhaps Uncle Johns Band could be included? I don't think I've ever heard anyone hate on that song.

hmm Dead songs that no one thinks suck. We have 2. Perhaps Uncle Johns Band could be included? I don't think I've ever heard anyone hate on that song.

I actually know someone who doesn't like UJB. She just finds it boring. I know, what can you say? :wacko:

Now, I've never heard anyone not rave when Dew starts playing!

• Forum MVP

2 songs with universal agreement? Dew + Terrapin? :cheers:

We've had ambivalence about Terrapin I believe, but I'm all in for both those. Damn, I'd suggest Ripple or Box of Rain but I know someone, somewhere, will say those are their pee songs...

Guest Lisacat

2 songs with universal agreement? Dew + Terrapin? cheers.gif

No ambivalence here about terrapin....its a beautiful song. I just don't always want to hear it. Similar but not quite as strong feelings about Dew. They are both what I call Jerry power songs and can only be played when the set and setting is right. They are actually two of the utmost holy and therefore I believe can't be thrown around like confetti.

No ambivalence here about terrapin....its a beautiful song. I just don't always want to hear it. Similar but not quite as strong feelings about Dew. They are both what I call Jerry power songs and can only be played when the set and setting is right. They are actually two of the utmost holy and therefore I believe can't be thrown around like confetti.

how much trouble r u?

Guest Lisacat

how much trouble r u?

Fortunately for both of us, you will never find out.

Please stop harassing me on this board.

Thank you.

We've had ambivalence about Terrapin I believe, but I'm all in for both those. Damn, I'd suggest Ripple or Box of Rain but I know someone, somewhere, will say those are their pee songs...

not (pee songs) possible

Guest Lisacat

If you have problem with The Eleven, you have a problem with yourself. Period.

Or you're just begging to be puddled!

• Forum MVP

Am I the only one here who cringes when hearing the first notes of Dupree's Diamond Blues? Not saying it comes even close to some of the previous listed clunkers, but I just find it completely monotonous. It just sucks the energy out of the show for me.

Perhaps this would be better in a new thread: "Songs that many love that just don't do it for you"

I love Dupree's also.

However, I think your suggestion for a new thread just might cause some of the most heated debates we have seen on these Forums. Do it, do it, do it ;)

Archived