1. 1. worst ever?

• day job?
    • wave to to the wind?
    • if the shoe fits?
    • samba?
    • way to go home?

• Forum MVP

This is my bet.

If every single one of us where strapped to a chair and forced to listen to 2 continuous hours of multiple versions of a single song and we were put through that for all of these songs we have been talking about and at the end of that we understood that we were going to have to sit through ten hours of multiple versions of a singe song and the only thing we were allowed to decide is ONE song that it couldn't be...

After being forced to sit through them all for those two hours, my bet is that most of us would say the one song we want OFF the table is Way to Go Home.

I say that because I listen to a set from the 90s maybe once every three to 6 months and I know that in order to do this, one has to skip that song. If you don't, it really takes away from the joy of listening to the music and the discomfort is more extreme on this song verses the others.

That means, this is the worst one. It doesn't mean it's the worst song because like Steve and I were talking about, maybe it could have been better had someone else done it but someone else didn't (sorry again Vince--this will be my last smack I talk about you for a long time!).

Someone set this up at the next Ledges weekend and I'll be there.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

This is my bet.

If every single one of us where strapped to a chair and forced to listen to 2 continuous hours of multiple versions of a single song and we were put through that for all of these songs we have been talking about and at the end of that we understood that we were going to have to sit through ten hours of multiple versions of a singe song and the only thing we were allowed to decide is ONE song that it couldn't be...

After being forced to sit through them all for those two hours, my bet is that most of us would say the one song we want OFF the table is Way to Go Home.

I say that because I listen to a set from the 90s maybe once every three to 6 months and I know that in order to do this, one has to skip that song. If you don't, it really takes away from the joy of listening to the music and the discomfort is more extreme on this song verses the others.

That means, this is the worst one. It doesn't mean it's the worst song because like Steve and I were talking about, maybe it could have been better had someone else done it but someone else didn't (sorry again Vince--this will be my last smack I talk about you for a long time!).

Someone set this up at the next Ledges weekend and I'll be there.

Agreed sort of. I find Vince's singing voice more appealing than Phil's. Phil's voice on non-harmonies, is God-awful. I will add box of rain to the latter thread...

• Forum MVP

Finally got around to reading all of these posts... the Mr and I have been reading through these and just have to add our 2 (or 3) cents....

Lisacat: Jon says he is SO happy you mentioned TLEO, because he has always had trouble connecting with this one (so, Teacher Matt, sometimes the mushy songs aren't appreciated by those in stupidly mushy relationships either... maybe it kinda puts simple words to something really complicated?) he says the earlier, faster versions are ok, but he just doesn't groove with the long, slow ones. but I really like the song, especially because it was the center of a moment of meeting a certain photographer that I had felt insulted by at Furthur over his sticker with a certain lyric form this song on them, then met "for real" at DSO, but that has little to do with the song itself.... funny how likes and dislikes of songs can have so much to do with extremely personal moments and little to do with the songs themselves sometimes, while other times, there is just no "helping" a song no matter what..... and with 3/4 of the songs on the poll being Vince songs, it's hard to select a stand out do not like, because like Lisa, we don't listen to that era of Dead... at all (unless it comes on the channel). We kinda got sick of Terrapin after seeing Furthur do the whole thing 5 or 6 times.... maybe more.... wow... a few of the times it was AMAZING (Furturfest, Red Rocks) but like Lisa was saying, when it is in an inside venue, a lot of magic is lost.

Mango: I LOVE SEEING BOBBY DO BROKEDOWN because my soul absolutely could not bear seeing JK sing it ever again after that last night in Buffalo.... we were pissed the first time we heard Furthur do it, then we were VERY VERY grateful. And it makes sense for Bobby to sing it.... Black Peter is the one that I am personally always irritated hearing him sing.... the rest I can justify and accept.

It is easier for us to say songs that we actually hear pretty regularly that we don't like, which falls more under the "songs everyone else likes but you don't" category... for Jon it would be I will Take you Home, hands down, every time, he just CANNOT deal with that song, lol. But I can see why it can be so special to some people, so I don't dislike it as much.

P2inBoulder: the lame duck joke is soooooooooooooooooo funny! how could you dislike that one? it's like, one of the longest Bobby jokes, it's the best!!!!!!! lol GOT ANY FLIES!?!?!?! hahahaha I think I'm a complete and utter dork, though, so forgive me.

Dstone: I wouldn't like What's Become of the Baby, either, except when I saw Furthur do it the first time at Furthurfest, it absolutely blew my head out and made me understand just how far out certain people's heads musta been when it was written... good god. But def wouldn't wanna see it again... too much, lol. AND, I totally agree that there are never many reasons to "go pee" or "get a drink" at a show... never saw Jerry but I have never left my spot at DSO since I realized what was happening and I only WANT to walk out on Furthur when they do Nobody Girl... seriously, I get thru all the Bobby and Phil changes just fine, for the most part, but Nobody Girl, even with JK doing a GREAT job with it, is just an awful song (this is MY number one don't ever wanna see at a show EVER again, but it's def NOT a GD song, so I can't include it here to loudly)...

Captain Sunshine: Money, Money would typically be my vote, as well, though I feel where others are coming from in that parts of it are ok, and the music can be super fun, but I just don't like the message. I'm a message person with what I like and don't like, I guess.

Chuck: expect a phone call from the Deviled Eggs (the Mr to be specific! lol).... Eyes from 74 is his favorite, and he wants to talk to you about it, lmao ;) we miss you, dammit, come out and play more often! how are we gonna water all the children in the garden if you're not around, buddy? (st stephen and rosemary need help, sometimes! hehe)

Tea for Texas: Man Smart, Women Smarter is BY FAR one of the worst GD songs EVER! Talk about a song written just to get male deadheads laid!!!! WTF? So we're all just gonna stand here for 10 mins and sing together about how YOU'RE smarter, baby, and if I sing it good enough and make the right eyes at you telling you you're smarter, I'll get laid tonight, right? It's one of those songs where you can just FEEL them making fun of you to your face, lol, as a chic, I used to get all irritated and roll my eyes, and Jon would always be like "it's your song, baby" and I was really happy once I could tell the diff in the intro to that and Iko, Iko which I actually DO love, so I wouldn't get excited or pissed for the wrong reason... but now that I KNOW that the song ONLY EXISTS to get dudes laid, I realize I AM SMARTER, so shove it whoever decided that song needs to be played all the freakin' time :D delicately, of course :) but I do dance my ass off to it with all the other girls, because it is freakin HILARIOUS to watch all the dudes that are gonna get laid do their thing to the girls who think their man thinks they are really smarter.... good grief. Give me Loose Lucy every time, then at least I know how we stand and it's not some backhanded compliment crap ;)

Anyways, thanks for the funny posts and silly comments, we couldn't fill out the poll because our picks weren't on it.

Love you guys!!!!

oh yeah, and box of rain and china>rider, we agree, how could anyone dislike? china>rider was a highlight of seeing The Dead at Rothbury and I didn't even know what it was ;) and box of rain makes me CRY almost EVERY TIME no matter how tone-deaf Phil sounds because I have met some amazing people with amazing stories and though I am lucky to not have too much death in my own life, I have been deeply touched by stories of love and loss in the lives of those closest to me and when I call those people from the show when this song starts, I bawl and it means the world to me and the person on the other end of the phone).

• Forum MVP

Agreed sort of. I find Vince's singing voice more appealing than Phil's. Phil's voice on non-harmonies, is God-awful. I will add box of rain to the latter thread...

I'm telling you that in my experiment, you would be BEGGING for a Phil Box over a Way to Go.

Maybe you should be the one to set it up.

Of course people would have to miss DSO's show in order to take part in it.

:)

Guest Lisacat

Tea for Texas: Man Smart, Women Smarter is BY FAR one of the worst GD songs EVER! Talk about a song written just to get male deadheads laid!!!! WTF? So we're all just gonna stand here for 10 mins and sing together about how YOU'RE smarter, baby, and if I sing it good enough and make the right eyes at you telling you you're smarter, I'll get laid tonight, right? It's one of those songs where you can just FEEL them making fun of you to your face, lol, as a chic, I used to get all irritated and roll my eyes, and Jon would always be like "it's your song, baby" and I was really happy once I could tell the diff in the intro to that and Iko, Iko which I actually DO love, so I wouldn't get excited or pissed for the wrong reason... but now that I KNOW that the song ONLY EXISTS to get dudes laid, I realize I AM SMARTER, so shove it whoever decided that song needs to be played all the freakin' time :D delicately, of course :) but I do dance my ass off to it with all the other girls, because it is freakin HILARIOUS to watch all the dudes that are gonna get laid do their thing to the girls who think their man thinks they are really smarter.... good grief. Give me Loose Lucy every time, then at least I know how we stand and it's not some backhanded compliment crap ;)

Love you guys :)

ahhh the feminist perspective! sometimes we need to not take things so seriously.....if guys think that is the "get me laid" song, well good for them! I love dancing to it- its so much fun and definitely is an ass-shaker....if guys get off on that, great! If I was a guy I'd love to see all the girls shakin too. Hell, there are times when I like watching the girls shake it....we are beautiful beings! And we should happily accept that. If it is the case that guys think just that song will get them laid, then they are only proving that song to be absolutely correct ;-) To be honest though, I've never viewed that song from a sexual perspective.....I've always viewed from a Thank you, women- you fucking rock. And yes we do. We carry babies, feed them, take care of our families, houses, we work, we care, nurture, and love, we hold this shit together! So here's a song for us.

And sexuality/femininity isn't a bad thing either! I love knowing that I'll get off on that parking or traffic ticket much easier than my male counterparts, or have my dancing space protected because I befriend the security guard standing by the speaker, or get the drink faster at the bar. There are certainly double standards out there when it comes to dating/partners, but I accept that.

• Forum MVP

ahhh the feminist perspective! sometimes we need to not take things so seriously.....if guys think that is the "get me laid" song, well good for them! I

I remember seeing some young women give this security guy a kiss as he let her on the floor during this song! She was laughing and dancing all the way to the stage.

Now I can't remember if it was Thinman or me who saw that...I think it was me...I can picture her right now.

Guest Lisacat

I remember seeing some young women give this security guy a kiss as he let her on the floor during this song! She was laughing and dancing all the way to the stage.

Now I can't remember if it was Thinman or me who saw that...I think it was me...I can picture her right now.

if all I had to do was simply give a kiss to a security guard to get all the dancing space I want, I would do it. Nothing comes for free.

now don't you all get any ideas here.

• Forum MVP

but of course, you are correct.... I now actually enjoy the song quite a lot, because it makes everyone laugh and giggle and dance really hard and everyone has a lot of fun with it... but I still like to call it for what it is :) but getting laid is awesome, don't think I think different :)

and THANK YOU FOR CREATING THIS THREAD because we just dug through Jon's hard drive til we found versions of all of them and after quite an argument about which was the worst, Jon says Samba and I say Wave to the Wind.... thank you for giving us a lesson and lot of laughter (we never got to see the Grateful Dead, as ya know, so they are like, these fairy tale heroes of legend to us- or something, so having not so remarkable perhaps even awful attempts brought to our attention when we obviously are always only seeking to find the true gems is a great activity on a sunny saturday afternoon!)

I learn more about the Dead from this forum and shows of this band than anywhere else, and as a newbie I am very, very grateful that you guys are around for people like me to learn from, some of the other informational outlets just aren't as, um, kind? I mean, even on here with everyone saying what songs are the worst, there is so much knowledge of and love for the music and it makes my heart really happy! thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advisory Board

Funny that you bring up Esau, as it is one of Herdy's favorite songs . He's been on his buddy Kadlecik, to ask Jill to break it out on the next Furthur tour. He says he's going to every show because he doesn't want to miss it. There is no terror in an Esau, only the anticipation of one. ;)

You, my friend, are a complete ass!! :)

so true, seriously, i don't get the nostalga for that song, it was in dso's rotation a few years back, and thank God, Eaton put it to bed. It's not the worst by any means, i just don't like the lyrics...

THANK YOU!!

My most painful experiences were the two times I saw Bobby sing 'brokedown palace'....most disgusted I have ever felt in my life.

Agreed!! Bobby shouldn't be singing ALOT of the Jerry tunes.. He doesn't even really sing anymore, he just speaks the lyrics in a weird sort of "singing" way...

Fortunately for both of us, you will never find out.

Please stop harassing me on this board.

Christ Lisa, what do you expect when you have "Trouble" listed under your name (above the cat pic) when you post.

Ducats, she's a boatload of trouble ;)

Mrs. Egg, I LOOOOVE Women are Smarter... I LOVE the musical part of the tune, and to say it has no "LIFE" is beyond my comprehension... but to each their own I guess...I dance my ass off to that song... As for the lyrics, I don't see how it's to get dudes laid, but that's just my understanding of the song...

"Ever since the world began women been imitating the ways of men,

But listen cause I've got a plan, give it up just don't try to understand."

Now, The second part of those lyrics I totally understand... cause trying to understand a woman is like trying to understand Quantum Mechanics... :) Love ya 3/9 girl! :P

Guest Lisacat

Christ Lisa, what do you expect when you have "Trouble" listed under your name (above the cat pic) when you post.

but I cook a damn good thanksgiving dinner.

jackass.

mwah!

• Advisory Board

but I cook a damn good thanksgiving dinner.

jackass.

mwah!

That you do!!! Tasty tasty tasty bird you cook, as well as some delicious sides!!

Great.... now I'm hungry... :)

:herdy:

Guest Lisacat

That you do!!! Tasty tasty tasty bird you cook, as well as some delicious sides!!

Great.... now I'm hungry... :)

:herdy:

well you best be gettin out here soon!!!!

THANK YOU!!

Agreed!! Bobby shouldn't be singing ALOT of the Jerry tunes.. He doesn't even really sing anymore, he just speaks the lyrics in a weird sort of "singing" way...

Mrs. Egg, I LOOOOVE Women are Smarter... I LOVE the musical part of the tune, and to say it has no "LIFE" is beyond my comprehension... but to each their own I guess...I dance my ass off to that song... As for the lyrics, I don't see how it's to get dudes laid, but that's just my understanding of the song...

"Ever since the world began women been imitating the ways of men,

But listen cause I've got a plan, give it up just don't try to understand."

Now, The second part of those lyrics I totally understand... cause trying to understand a woman is like trying to understand Quantum Mechanics... :) Love ya 3/9 girl! :P

no worries - there are alot of harassers in this world that confuse themselves for the harassed. there loss.

• Forum MVP

the "plan" referenced in those lyrics is that all the boys get laid tonight and ladies, don't worry about our facetiousness, we've got it under control.... but hey, it's fun, the sex game is silly as well as vital, so I guess it goes hand and had with this music.... I wish I could write an essay about the grateful dead experience being kept alive by silliness of the best kind.... not a superficial silliness... REAL silliness that turns the world round :)

and Jon says Easy Answers is his final answer on worst ever lol

which brings me to this question: why did EVERY ONE ELSE play all kinds of epically ridiculously cheesy music in the 80s while the Dead managed to keep it pretty in check until in the 90s when suddenly all this past 80s cheese just exploded into the music? I guess it has to do with who was playing but I dunno, wasn't there. Knowing that lots of deadheads found 80s music cheesy even then says a lot... most music fans were fooled at the time it seems.

Guest Lisacat

no worries - there are alot of harassers in this world that confuse themselves for the harassed. there loss.

you have no clue who or what you are talking about. You started out a few months ago with a real asinine comment to me and I believe you got reprimanded privately (not by me) for that and you continue with the remarks to my posts. You do not know me. I don't know what your deal is, but just stop. Thank you.

It's called "Shatnerizing." Watch the master:

• Forum MVP

Weir was asked about Esau during Q&A on his webcast. He said something about it having an ambiguous message and that it had to be rewritten before he brought it back. The interviewer kept at him to get some meaning from it, but Bobby hemmed and hawed. John Barlow, who was loitering nearby, came over, grabbed the mic, and said "it's about the Vietnam war, Bob!" Well timed, and funny.

• Forum MVP

It's called "Shatnerizing." Watch the master:

I believe Herdy knows the term...I think he was just trying not to be like everyone else...you know, like those people who were raising the roof after Tiger raised the roof after hitting that hole in one and the same people saying wazzz up!! to everyone after that Bud commercial, etc, etc....

Weir was asked about Esau during Q&A on his webcast. He said something about it having an ambiguous message and that it had to be rewritten before he brought it back. The interviewer kept at him to get some meaning from it, but Bobby hemmed and hawed. John Barlow, who was loitering nearby, came over, grabbed the mic, and said "it's about the Vietnam war, Bob!" Well timed, and funny.

Really? That is pretty funny.

As an aside, Weir said pretty much the same thing about having to rewrite the lyrics to BT Wind (before they could play it again) back in the late 70s or early 80s and we all know how that turned out.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • Forum MVP

I would tell you all the song that makes me want to wash my ears out with muriatic acid, but I am afraid it will show up in the common rotation, or at least the shows I am likely to see. I will say it is a Bobby song and goes on, and goes on, and goes on..... like some pop song that the writer ran out of something worth while to sing. The drone of the music is uninspiring , a complete bore to dance to, leaving only the possibility of swaying like some bereft wallflower and is the ultimate pee song because by the time you get back, the refrain all still be playing.  It is SO ho-hum. 

• Forum MVP

I would tell you all the song that makes me want to wash my ears out with muriatic acid, but I am afraid it will show up in the common rotation, or at least the shows I am likely to see. I will say it is a Bobby song and goes on, and goes on, and goes on..... like some pop song that the writer ran out of something worth while to sing. The drone of the music is uninspiring , a complete bore to dance to, leaving only the possibility of swaying like some bereft wallflower and is the ultimate pee song because by the time you get back, the refrain all still be playing.  It is SO ho-hum. 

Let me guess....it's a Dylan cover....

• Forum MVP

I love Memphis Blues, Desolation Row, Visions, She Belongs to Me, Masterpiece, Baby Blue especially, Thin Man, Tom Thumbs- hilarious, It Take a Lot to Laugh , Heaven's Door, Maggie's Farm, Quinn. 

He was a master poet. 

Archived