New York Steve

24 members have voted

1. 1. worst ever?

• day job?
    • wave to to the wind?
    • if the shoe fits?
    • samba?
    • way to go home?

what, no "broken arrow"? maybe if phils voice was better, or maybe in an intimate setting, but in a stadium that song F-in sucked. how about another u.s blues anchor (i meant encore) or even better how about another NFA or uncle or my absolute (least) favorite L paso? im not even gonna touch some of the crap they trucked out in front of us during the 90"s. i cant for the life of me figure out why the boys would give night after night ( or every third night) of this crap and not touch help slip frank for 8 years. must be why they call it dope.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think that is very uncommon....I know we've had the Dark Star debate on here before. I think its a song you either love or at the least, are ambivalent about. I happen to be someone who loves Dark Star- but it took me many Dark Stars to find my love for it. Or maybe it was something else. Maybe its an aquired taste for some, maybe some will never love it, but its not a song that when someone says they don't care for, I'm shocked. That would be stella blue. Any stella blue haters out there? Is there one song that all deadheads will unanimously agree that you can't call yourself a deadhead unless you love? I doubt it.....and thats whats great about this playground.

My relationship with Dark Star and Stella Blue have changed over the years.

At first I didn't care for the 90s Dark Stars I was hearing. I felt they were just alot of mindless noodling. I liked the old ones, 70 and before. I've since found 80s and 90s dark stars i like, but you can't beat from 74 to earlier. I'm into 68-73 right now so its safe to say I'm loving me some dark star right now.

As far as Stella Blue, at first I thought it was a fine song. I didn't love it though. To an 18 year old kid it was a slow Jerry song. Deer Creek 1991 changed all that. That night I was moved by it. I don't even know if it's considered a good Stella Blue and I haven't heard it since. I just know on that night, Jerry did what he does and I have loved that song ever since.

Of course Dstones lovefest and knowledge he has passed on has only made that love grow more.

Nobody has mentioned "Money Money"??

That's definitely the worst in my opinion!

it got ragged on in the Oneonta thread reveiw.

I love money money. Vancouver 5/17/74. Bobby forgets the lyrics at one point, but otherwise it is an awesome version.

Money Money doesn't belong in the same categoriy as Wave to the Wind, or Samba.

Not even close.

• Advisory Board

I love corrina now but hated back then, eaton does a mean corina.

I'm with ya on the Corrina.... HATED when the Dead did it, but do love a good Eaton Corrina...

Plus one on the "Eaton does a mean Corrina." I've even seen Herdy not grimace during it.

See above

Am I the only one here who cringes when hearing the first notes of Dupree's Diamond Blues?

I would have to say... yes....

yes, i suppose, but I chose non- controversial picks. I doubt anyone would say "I love day job" but i could be wrong...

I Love Day Job... always have, since I first heard DSO do it way back at the 9:30 club back in 2003 I think... Never had a bootleg with the song on it, so it was new to me, and I loved it... Still do! So nahhhh!!! :P

• Forum MVP

Dstone, I have an excuse, I never got to see Jerry...

That should be our next poll!

I'm probably being too judgmental. I HATE when I do that. Of the MANY faults I have, that one really drives me crazy.

The truth is, that my friends and I weren't drinkers at shows. We were more of the psychedelic, pot smoker once in a while bring in some nitrous oxide for space, type dead heads.

So it makes sense that if you are drinking a lot at a show, you are going to have to go to the bathroom more often.

I also want to say to those of you who have never seen Garcia that you guys have some pretty great taste in music. I really doubt I would have discovered the music of Garcia having not seen him live. I remember first hearing the Grateful Dead on tape doing Dancin in the Streets during the summer of 5th grade and I thought it was pretty bad. I was listening to a lot of the British invasion stuff and had just been introduced to Neil Young by my twin sister so it was just the beginning for me music-wise, but I really marvel at how so many of you have been able to get it, having never seen the GD. I know some of that has to do with this band that I can't recall the name of just now but the fact that this music is being discovered by you guys is pretty fuckin cool. I never, ever though that would happen, back in 1995.

I too don't care much for TLEO and I also agree What's become of the baby is probably the worst of all. I do however love Dupree's, and my cat is even named Dupree :) I love having these conversations! We heads take these things seriously! I'll go ahead and throw my neck out there and say the song that makes me run off for a beer is Days Between, especially when thrown right smack in the middle of the 2nd set! My tastes have changed over the years so I never completely give up on a song.

WOW!!

Well my friend--you and I clearly have different taste. I've already made my comments on Dupree's. I don't hate it, but it does little for me. As far as Days Between, I love it! For me, it's proof that while Jerry may have been in a tragic death spiral during his last couple of years, he could still write some of the most beautiful songs of all time (of course with Robert Hunter!). I'm very sorry that we never had the opportunity to hear Jerry perform this while very healthy and with his earlier strong voice. This song, along with Lazy River Road and So Many Roads are his latter day masterpieces and some of my favorite ballads.

vive la diff

• Forum MVP

I'm with ya on the Corrina.... HATED when the Dead did it, but do love a good Eaton Corrina...

See above

I would have to say... yes....

I Love Day Job... always have, since I first heard DSO do it way back at the 9:30 club back in 2003 I think... Never had a bootleg with the song on it, so it was new to me, and I loved it... Still do! So nahhhh!!! :P

possibly because the word job has little meaning to you....

• Forum MVP

it got ragged on in the Oneonta thread reveiw.

I love money money. Vancouver 5/17/74. Bobby forgets the lyrics at one point, but otherwise it is an awesome version.

Money Money doesn't belong in the same categoriy as Wave to the Wind, or Samba.

Ok...for you Tom, I'll take it off my list.

For the most part, I don't like the cliche feel of those lyrics and I'm not a fan of Donna's work on this one either. But you are correct, the first one they did in Vancouver had a lot of energy and it probably could have been something like an early Passenger had they had the opportunity to play that one more.

The story, according to Weir, is that some people in the band didn't care much for the story. He did not name names, but I'm assuming they didn't warm too much to sentiments like this one...

"Lord made a lady out of Adams rib, next thing you know, you got women's lib.

Lovely to look upon, heaven to touch;

Its a real shame that they got to cost so much."

I, however, have a much bigger problem with lines like: "Now some folks say the best things in life are free." I just cringe a little with lines like that.

But you're right...this one has an old school feel and even if I don't care for it, it probably doesn't belong with the likes of Wave to the Wind, Picasso Moon and Long Way to Go Home.

So it's off the list.

possibly because the word job has little meaning to you....

You mean 'blow job' right?

• Forum MVP

I don't like the cliche feel for those lyrics and I'm not a fan of Donna's work on this one either. But you are correct, the first one they did in Vancouver had a lot of energy and it probably could have been something like an early Passenger had they had the opportunity to play that one more.

The story according to Weir is that some people in the band didn't care much for the story. He did not name names, but I'm assuming they didn't warm to much to sentiments like this one...

I, however, have a much bigger problem with lines like: "Now some folks say the best things in life are free." I just cringe a little with lines like that.

But you're right...this one has an old school feel and even if I don't care for it, it doesn't belong with the likes of Wave to the Wind and Long Way to Go Home.

So it's off the list.

You mean 'blow job' right?

good point

• Forum MVP

I actually never understood the whole piss break thing. How anyone could leave to go take a piss when Garcia was plugged in was beyond me.

At the Warfield you could go from the sweet spot (center section, just behind "the drink rail") downstairs to the bathroom and be back in the time it took for Jerry to do one verse of You Never Can Tell. Was he plugged in? Of course. But the only thing that would have stopped me was if I was holding mics...

Wow were those JGB Warfield shows a different beast!

• Forum MVP

At the Warfield you could go from the sweet spot (center section, just behind "the drink rail") downstairs to the bathroom and be back in the time it took for Jerry to do one verse of You Never Can Tell. Was he plugged in? Of course. But the only thing that would have stopped me was if I was holding mics...

Wow were those JGB Warfield shows a different beast!

Just think of how much less stressfrul it is knowing that Bob's singing Days Between during your bathroom breaks these days.

The times they are a changin.

• Forum MVP

How many times have you listened to it?

My guess is you haven't heard that song three times in its entirety.

I have listened to the recording more than three times Stone... Actually, I've probably played What's Become of the Baby more than any other song on Aoxomoxoa. I love the full range of Garcia's voice in the song...

I think for many songs, it's relative (though yes, some songs are just bad and time doesn't change that)

I was seeing a lot of shows in the mid 80s. I got really tired of hearing Day Job but I don't mind it now.

I also think at that time Brother Esau was considered a fairly average song. I think people certainly liked it but there was nothing close to sacred about it. It was standard, mid-80s material. Yet now folks are clammoring for Furthur to play it. I think that's just part of the phenomenon over the years where the absence of songs in the Dead repetoire often helped them to acheieve cult status.

• Forum MVP

I also think at that time Brother Esau was considered a fairly average song. I think people certainly liked it but there was nothing close to sacred about it. It was standard, mid-80s material. Yet now folks are clammoring for Furthur to play it.

Funny that you bring up Esau, as it is one of Herdy's favorite songs . He's been on his buddy Kadlecik, to ask Jill to break it out on the next Furthur tour. He says he's going to every show because he doesn't want to miss it. There is no terror in an Esau, only the anticipation of one. ;)

Hey, I LOVE Picasso Moon! And while I really dislike the GD version of Corrina, I think Ratdog in the early 00's absolutely crush it with that song.

I don't think I've ever sat through a Wave to the Wind or a Shoe Fits when they show up on iTunes when I have a show on. Always ready to skip right to the next one.

As do I. Listen to the 10/16/89 version. CRUSHING!!

Yes!!!!

For the most part, I don't like the cliche feel of those lyrics and I'm not a fan of Donna's work on this one either. But you are correct, the first one they did in Vancouver had a lot of energy and it probably could have been something like an early Passenger had they had the opportunity to play that one more.

The story, according to Weir, is that some people in the band didn't care much for the story. He did not name names, but I'm assuming they didn't warm too much to sentiments like this one...

Yea, its not a lyrical masterpiece but it can rock.

I actually didn't know some of those lyrics. I guess as they were coming to my head from the music I wasn't paying attention. Seeing them in print just makes me laugh.

• Forum MVP

Funny that you bring up Esau, as it is one of Herdy's favorite songs . He's been on his buddy Kadlecik, to ask Jill to break it out on the next Furthur tour. He says he's going to every show because he doesn't want to miss it. There is no terror in an Esau, only the anticipation of one. ;)

so true, seriously, i don't get the nostalga for that song, it was in dso's rotation a few years back, and thank God, Eaton put it to bed. It's not the worst by any means, i just don't like the lyrics...

• Forum MVP

I'm very surprised to hear that people listing 'dark star' as one of their least favorite songs. Can't help but feel like you are missing out on some of the GD's most groundbreaking and expansive work here. At the risk of sounding judgemental I'll say this- I think that you have just yet to discover the beauty and magic in it. I'm sorry but there is a reason that our favorite band is called the "Dark Star Orchestra".

I'll take a 25 minute dark star any day of the week, 'aimless noodling' and all. Part of what is so special about dark star is the many changes and landscapes it goes through. You can't have the euphoria without the insanity. :icon14: :icon14:

I had the misfortune of experiencing what's become of baby at the recent further/radio city show, it was awful.... I am not even sure if it should qualify as a song. From the list, my vote is for wave to the wind. Missing, and perhaps a song I might have voted for is Red Rooster, which was certainly my bathroom break song. Although good perhaps on it's merits, it was played way to much in the 90's and was only a disappointment when i heard it.

• Forum MVP

I had the misfortune of experiencing what's become of baby at the recent further/radio city show, it was awful.... I am not even sure if it should qualify as a song. From the list, my vote is for wave to the wind. Missing, and perhaps a song I might have voted for is Red Rooster, which was certainly my bathroom break song. Although good perhaps on it's merits, it was played way to much in the 90's and was only a disappointment when i heard it.

I mentioned the msg show in november, it was the most painful musical experience related to the GD.

• Forum MVP

I mentioned the msg show in november, it was the most painful musical experience related to the GD.

My most painful experiences were the two times I saw Bobby sing 'brokedown palace'....most disgusted I have ever felt in my life.

I vividly remember how I got into Garcia and this music. I got a ticket to see DSO in Cleveland from my college roommate's aunt; to that point, I had a few shows on my computer but they didn't do much for me at the time. I was more interested in Led Zeppelin and blues-based classic rock, much harder stuff.

DSO did 4/23/83; I'm fairly positive that was the date. Veterans' Coliseum in New Haven. Keppinger on keys, if I remember correctly. Suffice it to say, I had never seen a concert scene like this before! I was thrown a bit when I saw some big fella in a tie-dye dress twirling wildly to "Alabama Getaway."

It was a fantastic show! We had a scratchy old recording that my friend from out of town had made, and that "Scarlet>Fire" still cooks! The point where I "got it," though, was undoubtedly "Brokedown Palace," where JK calmed our souls and lulled us into a peaceful state between dreaming and waking. I was disoriented after "Brokedown;" the whole show had been chaotic as I tried to process what was going on, and it was as if JK brought me back down to Earth.

Looking back at it, I think of Ken Kesey's story he tells about that song. Long story short, Kesey's son had just died in a tragic car accident. He was in attendance at a Grateful Dead show in 1984 (Silva Hult Center?), and the band played a "Brokedown" encore. Rumor is they turned and looked to him the entire time they sang it. Kesey said he then realized that music wasn't about "this" (makes a fist), but about "this" (performs a hugging motion).

Likewise, my whole perception of music and what it should be changed that day, in that moment.

Well, let me make it clear - Dark Star is one of my FAVORITE songs. It's just...I mean...isn't it possible to think some versions are lacking energy?

The jamming I love is best displayed in those 72-74 Playing in the Bands...those guys never take a second off, do they?! Even the famous 40+ minute version is POWERFUL throughout.

Archived