Tri Studios

kdubfan

• Forum MVP

The free live HD stream of Bob Weir & Friends on TRIday the 13th was SCHAWEEEEET!

Now they have it set for Furthur to play on the 7th but it's gonna cost $20 to watch.

The picture and sound is by far the best I have seen from anything that streams nit to mention it's live.

I for one think the place is amazing. I'm not thrilled about the price and think it should be at the most $10 but I'm sure I'll order it over the next few days.

Furthur show on my big screen with surround sound Tuesday at my place if you wanna come I've and dance :) :) :)

What's everyone's take on this? and can we get a DSO show please ;)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

I agree wholeheartedly; it is amazing.

Although they need to cure the buffering issue that plagued the otherwise breathtaking quality of the initial live stream stream (and the performance was also excellent) if they are to merit the $20 pay per view.

I agree wholeheartedly; it is amazing.

Although they need to cure the buffering issue that plagued the otherwise breathtaking quality of the initial live stream stream (and the performance was also excellent) if they are to merit the $20 pay per view.

My internet through space out in the deep woods is not sufficient for the HQ stream so I will not be catching much TRI live. The $20 seems high but furthur is certainly worth $20 more than the last lineup. It would be interesting to see how many "tickets" to these shows they sell....Furthur for the world at $20 bucks a pop.... seems to me that Bobs investment will be back in his pocket in no time...

Certainly an interesting idea, but I have to wonder without an audience, how much energy the music might potentially have. If I recall correctly, the Grateful Dead had a horrible time in the studio at points, and at one time rented out Marin County civic center just to try to workout an album with the feel of being onstage. I for one am a big believer in the power of the audience on a band, and would fear this might someday replace live music, as far fetched as that might sound. I am curious how this goes, and do however think it deserves a chance.

• Forum MVP

Certainly an interesting idea, but I have to wonder without an audience, how much energy the music might potentially have.

There is a small space for the audience. Perhaps just room for about 40 or 50, but an audience nonetheless. Maybe that's enough for the band to feel as if they aren't isolated in a studio. I guess that's part of experiment though - to see if the tiny audience is sufficient to generate the energy.

Certainly an interesting idea, but I have to wonder without an audience, how much energy the music might potentially have. If I recall correctly, the Grateful Dead had a horrible time in the studio at points, and at one time rented out Marin County civic center just to try to workout an album with the feel of being onstage. I for one am a big believer in the power of the audience on a band, and would fear this might someday replace live music, as far fetched as that might sound. I am curious how this goes, and do however think it deserves a chance.

there is an audience

There is a small space for the audience. Perhaps just room for about 40 or 50, but an audience nonetheless. Maybe that's enough for the band to feel as if they aren't isolated in a studio. I guess that's part of experiment though - to see if the tiny audience is sufficient to generate the energy.

20$ seems too steep...but Bob and Phil didn't become multi millionaires by accident. They certainly know how to generate income...I don't know how many connections they can handle but the math is pretty simple. Kudos to Bobby for what seems to be the first to market with this particular business model...

• Forum MVP

I think this thing is a pretty fascinating project and an interesting turn to make in the whole concept of live music. And if this is what it's gonna take to keep Phil playing til he's 90, then I'm all for it!!!! As these guys age, I can certainly see how getting out on the road to play live would become more of a challenge. And it is an amazing to ponder the possibilities of seeing/hearing the music being played live right from our own homes. I agree that $20 is a bit steep for this furthur gig coming up and I would think that they could make plenty of $ even if they just charged $10 or maybe 12 bucks, however, I will inevitably be putting out my 20 bucks to participate in the experiment.

The thing I'm most curious about is the symbiotic relationship that seems to happen when the music feeds everyone in a live setting and the audience then feeds the musicians with their energy and dancing and smiles, and hooting and hollering, etc. and it all ends up in the stratosphere soaring together. I don't see how those moments can come together when the band doesn't have a large audience right in front of them to feed off of. The flipside of that, is that it will certainly be a trip for the musicians to know that they are being enjoyed by deadheads all across the land while playing from the studio. But I'm very curious and excited to get to have the opportunity to witness live music in a studio situation....Bobby's manifestation of this vision may have just opened a huge door for the whole concept of live music for all bands in the future...

The experiment continues..... :rolleyes:

[...]

The thing I'm most curious about is the symbiotic relationship that seems to happen when the music feeds everyone in a live setting and the audience then feeds the musicians with their energy and dancing and smiles, and hooting and hollering, etc. and it all ends up in the stratosphere soaring together. I don't see how those moments can come together when the band doesn't have a large audience right in front of them to feed off of. The flipside of that, is that it will certainly be a trip for the musicians to know that they are being enjoyed by deadheads all across the land while playing from the studio. But I'm very curious and excited to get to have the opportunity to witness live music in a studio situation....Bobby's manifestation of this vision may have just opened a huge door for the whole concept of live music for all bands in the future...

The experiment continues..... :rolleyes:

Very often with ear monitors it is difficult for band members to hear the audience while they are playing (which is important for them to hear the music). I remember reading in "Searching For Sound" that Phil didn't listen to the crowd's response, he was watching it. See each body form into a larger group that waves in patterns. Some AI philosophers talk about it developing consciousness: certain waves begin to mean certain things (it develops a language). I.e. watch a wind chime for a long period of time and you can begin to sort out specific happenings in response to the wind/it's own movement a moment ago (outside stimulus entering your mind, and your thought from a moment ago--consciousness) and this can be interpreted as a language: this movement means the wind is xyz. In the crowd one person reacts to how the person right next to them is dancing, etc., and then the person next to that person reacts, or it affects the one who just affected that person--it's dominoes. Parallels have been made to ant colonies. This does not account for intentionality (if one still believes in intentionality), but it still works as an AI linguistic study.

Am I the only one who thinks about these things at these concerts?

• Forum MVP

As a musician who lives to play LIVE music I am appalled by the whole notion! It's nice to be able to listen to canned music on your home stereo, but, NOTHING will ever take the place of being in the moment, in the room(whatever venue), and at the volume necessary to create the magic. I wouldn't pay 20 cents to see any music that I could catch live at some point....

Rob - Wow, those are some candid thoughts - which is appreciated.

Of course nothing can replace live music's "being there" experience. But ironically, one thing about the webcast that appeals to me is that I can play it at 100dB to 105dB. which my system is more than comfortable doing with no trace of dynamic compression, and I'm happier than the 115dB+ typical rock and roll live venue's produce. My ears have just gotten too sensitive to that sound pressure for sustained periods.

While this puts lots of pressure on the quality of the stream to allow such volumes without and artifacts, the initial TRI webcast did deliver, albeit with the occasional buffering - still clearly unacceptable if one is to have their system opened up this wide.

• Forum MVP

Rob - Wow, those are some candid thoughts - which is appreciated.

Of course nothing can replace live music's "being there" experience. But ironically, one thing about the webcast that appeals to me is that I can play it at 100dB to 105dB. which my system is more than comfortable doing with no trace of dynamic compression, and I'm happier than the 115dB+ typical rock and roll live venue's produce. My ears have just gotten too sensitive to that sound pressure for sustained periods.

While this puts lots of pressure on the quality of the stream to allow such volumes without and artifacts, the initial TRI webcast did deliver, albeit with the occasional buffering - still clearly unacceptable if one is to have their system opened up this wide.

I guess my opinion is very strong. I always appreciated live cds and bootlegs, but, even listening to live shows on the radio I never felt the magic the same way I did when I was in the space or the zone if you will. I love living in the 21st century with all its wild gadgetry. Maybe I just need to get used to it. RB

• Forum MVP

Although it's not the same as a live show, lately bands I would love to see aren't playing my area. Such as DSO, 7 Walkers, Donna and the Buffalos, Furthur, etc. So, I'm caught between a rock and a hard place.

I guess my opinion is very strong. I always appreciated live cds and bootlegs, but, even listening to live shows on the radio I never felt the magic the same way I did when I was in the space or the zone if you will. I love living in the 21st century with all its wild gadgetry. Maybe I just need to get used to it. RB

Well its time for a 418 dead dance Rob...... the only Jerry that I REALLY HEAR nowadays....I guess since I have friends that got the +1 on the TRI debut ticket list it leaves it as an audience/band experience as far as I'm concerned. The magic is in the recording Too!!!!! Hallelujah!

On some weird level this reminds me of why I hate the designated hitter in the American league of baseball. When you can no longer play the game it's time to retire. Of course, besides the personal baggage I have about that scene, this is purely my opinion and completely respect anyones enthusiasm for this project. Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. RB

I dont know anything about american baseball......but I know that Bobby should not retire.... Just saw him solo acoustic in Mill Valley and had one of the most profound music experiences of my 35 years on this planet.

Guest dark angel

As a musician who lives to play LIVE music I am appalled by the whole notion! It's nice to be able to listen to canned music on your home stereo, but, NOTHING will ever take the place of being in the moment, in the room(whatever venue), and at the volume necessary to create the magic. I wouldn't pay 20 cents to see any music that I could catch live at some point. On some weird level this reminds me of why I hate the designated hitter in the American league of baseball. When you can no longer play the game it's time to retire. Of course, besides the personal baggage I have about that scene, this is purely my opinion and completely respect anyones enthusiasm for this project. Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. RB

That was so disappointing, especially from someone doing so well with Pigpen's material. what are you jealous? first of all T.R.I. is live, second,the people that enjoy T.R.I. are 10's of thousands that have kids and jobs that CAN'T catch the show live. plus when a party of ten gets together to enjoy a show from t.r.i. what is it?... 2 dollars a piece. believe me, my life has more than revolved around the LIVE music experience since i've been 14 years old, which is one of the reasons i LOVE D.S.O. and travel far and PAY to see so many of your shows. but how could you after everything the GRATEFUL DEAD has done for the bread and butter of your band, make such a comment about someone who has NEVER STOPPED since JERRY passed on ,not to mention been by JERRYS side at every GRATEFUL DEAD show there EVER Was. As far as relating to baseball and being able to play the game and retirement,

Bobs "one man band" gig at the Throckmorton surpassed anything i've ever felt from D.S.O. WITH ALL LOVE RESPECT AND APPRECIATION dark angel

Guest Q balls

As a musician who lives to play LIVE music I am appalled by the whole notion! It's nice to be able to listen to canned music on your home stereo, but, NOTHING will ever take the place of being in the moment, in the room(whatever venue), and at the volume necessary to create the magic. I wouldn't pay 20 cents to see any music that I could catch live at some point. On some weird level this reminds me of why I hate the designated hitter in the American league of baseball. When you can no longer play the game it's time to retire. Of course, besides the personal baggage I have about that scene, this is purely my opinion and completely respect anyones enthusiasm for this project. Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. RB

I am unabashedly appalled with inspiration...for our strange hero IS leading us all on with his forthright notion to play for EVERYONE. this forum of virtuality makes it possible for EVERYONE to witness the GD moments that roll forth rhythm from THE heart of the rhythm Mr. Robert Ace Weir..

• Forum MVP

Good to hear your perspective, Rob, ya ol' crusty! :D

I hope you never retire, but if you ever get too old to hit the road but are still able to sit up and pound on those keyboards, you can bet that nearly all of us on these boards will be quick to lay our 20 bucks or whatever it is and get to see/hear you play away even if we have to do it using computer technology. Certainly not a replacement for live music in the way that we all know and love, but simply a way to feel a little closer to the musicians that we all know and love by seeing them playing the music we all know and love in the moment...even if it's from afar using the technology.

Meanwhile I'm gonna keep on trying to scrounge the time and $ to catch as many DSO shows as I possibly can in the ol' traditional fashion....by standing (well, dancing) in front of you guys and letting it all blow me away in the presence of others there to do the same....

Technology always seems to have its pro's and con's ..... :wacko:

• Forum MVP

. but how could you after everything the GRATEFUL DEAD has done for the bread and butter of your band, make such a comment about someone who has NEVER STOPPED since JERRY passed on ,not to mention been by JERRYS side at every GRATEFUL DEAD show there EVER Was.

I don't like this point. We as fans have no obligation to support Bob. If you want to that's fine but it's ridiculous to get upset at others for not doing so. It's ok to not support Bobby. It's ok to not support Phil. Don't act like its some kind of loyalty thing, it's just silly. If I(or anyone) chooses not to support these guys it's ok. If you don't think so than the issue is yours. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I don't choose to support this endeavor so much. Not sayin it shouldn't happen, but 20$? For me, no thanks.

"As far as relating to baseball and being able to play the game and retirement,

Bobs "one man band" gig at the Throckmorton surpassed anything i've ever felt from D.S.O. WITH ALL LOVE RESPECT AND APPRECIATION dark angel"

Well that's damn surprising, but once again, you are entitled to your opinion. Peace.

• Forum MVP

Hey RB, you are not obligated to dig the gadgets of the 21st century. Someone had to say it.

As for the more general topic,

TRI is a great idea and looks like fun and sounds great. I am proud of Bobby.

But it is the future of internet webcasts, not of live music because it is not live.

Happening concurrently is not the same as live.

Simple.

It's never going to replace the thrill and joy of live music for me, but I think this is awful cool. I'm not thrilled about the price point, but damn man! Someone made the point about being able to push perfectly processed sound through a nice home stereo system...I like the thought! Maybe the pricetag would be more acceptable, though, if they gave you the opportunity to download the finished product and keep it. I wouldn't mind dropping 20 clams on that, though I haven't checked it out and don't know if that's included.

RB, though, is the man, and I totally dig what he's getting at B) I too hate the designated hitter!

That's what we're arguing about, right?

• Forum MVP

It's never going to replace the thrill and joy of live music for me, but I think this is awful cool. I'm not thrilled about the price point, but damn man! Someone made the point about being able to push perfectly processed sound through a nice home stereo system...I like the thought! Maybe the pricetag would be more acceptable, though, if they gave you the opportunity to download the finished product and keep it. I wouldn't mind dropping 20 clams on that, though I haven't checked it out and don't know if that's included.

RB, though, is the man, and I totally dig what he's getting at B) I too hate the designated hitter!

That's what we're arguing about, right?

The other day Cliff Lee gave up two runs to tie the game in the top of the inning, and then he came back in the bottom with 2 RBIs...that's what it's all about :icon14: Go Phils

• Forum MVP

I think TRI is a good idea, but the price came in much higher than I expected. Of course it is nothing like being at a live performance--nothing could be! If a band is broadcast on TRI that I really want to see, I might pay the $$$, but my first and foremost pleasure comes from being at the show and experiencing the music and atmosphere.

After years of disrespect on Bobby it was nice to see everyones positive reaction to TRI. I am stoked that all over people are happy for Bobs innovation of live music. The live music experience is un replaceable but that doesn't mean that a studio built for worldwide internet access is bad. Its something else...Rob, Im not quite getting why its so appalling. I think its great to have new spaces to create and share music. Bob weir is forging new ground weekly with first fusion, solo tour, numerous acoustic configurations. Im on board for all of them. He inspires me more than he ever has...I think he has had a bit of a younger brother complex from being Jerry's sidekick and its now his turn to shine and see what he can do with it. Im a bit orthodox when it comes to the Grateful Dead. I go to DSO to capture some of the magic that the Grateful Dead brought to my life... I think its a really bad time to cut Bob down when he's at the top of his game....Im going on Bob solo tour!!!

I don't like this point. We as fans have no obligation to support Bob. If you want to that's fine but it's ridiculous to get upset at others for not doing so. It's ok to not support Bobby. It's ok to not support Phil. Don't act like its some kind of loyalty thing, it's just silly. If I(or anyone) chooses not to support these guys it's ok. If you don't think so than the issue is yours. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I don't choose to support this endeavor so much. Not sayin it shouldn't happen, but 20$? For me, no thanks.

To be a hardcore DSO fan and not support Bob is as farout as my farout idea that before DSO shows we all( band and audience) hold hands and give thanks for each and everyone of the GD members that brought us to that DSO show...just like thanksgiving dinner....

Archived