Tri Studios

kdubfan

• Forum MVP

To be a hardcore DSO fan and not support Bob is as farout as my farout idea that before DSO shows we all( band and audience) hold hands and give thanks for each and everyone of the GD members that brought us to that DSO show...just like thanksgiving dinner....

We should all give thanks, to eachother and everything, all the time. I'm a little confused by your comparison though.. :blink:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

After years of disrespect on Bobby it was nice to see everyones positive reaction to TRI. I am stoked that all over people are happy for Bobs innovation of live music. The live music experience is un replaceable but that doesn't mean that a studio built for worldwide internet access is bad. Its something else...Rob, Im not quite getting why its so appalling. I think its great to have new spaces to create and share music. Bob weir is forging new ground weekly with first fusion, solo tour, numerous acoustic configurations. Im on board for all of them. He inspires me more than he ever has...I think he has had a bit of a younger brother complex from being Jerry's sidekick and its now his turn to shine and see what he can do with it. Im a bit orthodox when it comes to the Grateful Dead. I go to DSO to capture some of the magic that the Grateful Dead brought to my life... I think its a really bad time to cut Bob down when he's at the top of his game....Im going on Bob solo tour!!!

Bobby sounded good at TRI. If it can make Phil sound good, I'll be amazed...

(No more Bobby bashing on to Phil...)

• Forum MVP

First and foremost, I did not cut Bob down! I love Bob Weir both as a person and as a musician. As I stated in my original post, just because it is not my cup of tea doesn't mean I condemn anyone else for digging it. I was just posting my opinion-nothing else. Who ever is cutting Bob down is not me!! K? It's appalling to me for them to charge so much money for a canned(yes you can make an argument for it being live) performance but, I still won't pay to listen to something I can pay to see in the flesh. Cyber that!! Hope that clears it up. RB

NY..... errrrr!

• Forum VIP

Wow...love the energy...I can feel it my bones....but I have to say...I am a fan of TRI...being a deadhead with a family and not being able to hit the road as much as I would like, I have to Thank Bob for what he is doing.....nothing will every beat the ENERGY of a live show but we are all older and should respect the FACT that we can not hit the ROAD like we used too...I have no problem dropping $20 to see what I saw two weeks ago... I live in freakin TEXAS...no one comes here...so its all I got for now...I love going to see DSO 10x a year when I can but that leaves a lot of time in between....so Let's Support Bob with his " Flying Ssucer" for what it is...just another chapter ' goin down the road"....Peace...Dr. V.

• Forum MVP

Wow...love the energy...I can feel it my bones....but I have to say...I am a fan of TRI...being a deadhead with a family and not being able to hit the road as much as I would like, I have to Thank Bob for what he is doing.....nothing will every beat the ENERGY of a live show but we are all older and should respect the FACT that we can not hit the ROAD like we used too...I have no problem dropping $20 to see what I saw two weeks ago... I live in freakin TEXAS...no one comes here...so its all I got for now...I love going to see DSO 10x a year when I can but that leaves a lot of time in between....so Let's Support Bob with his " Flying Ssucer" for what it is...just another chapter ' goin down the road"....Peace...Dr. V.

+1 ........... just give me the choice and see what I do with it.................

$20 I'll think it over.......................$10 my wallet is open before I blink (provided buffering issues are resolved and HD is intact.)............. unless they congratulate me on my purchase of Justin Beeber tix.............. then I'm back to the ipod and waiting for a regional performance and telling my daughter to turn that shit down..............

Bob Weir you just keep speadin the love and there'll be people there to soak it up......... you are entrepreneur of the month!!

• Forum MVP
Cyber that!!
:icon14:
Last I checked it was Bob who cut Shannon down.
:icon14::icon14::icon14:

Nice one!!!

You have posted a message with more emoticons that this board allows. Please reduce the number of emoticons you've added to the message
:icon13: boooooo

• Forum MVP

This is cool. We've been stoked about it because we haven't been able to get out as much as we'd like lately. There are several "jamtronica" bands that have been doing the webcast thing for a while, and I think it's pretty cool they are gonna have Furthur have a go at it with Bobby's new concept... $20 is steep, but as long as IT WORKS, I won't complain too much. NEW YEARS comes to mind and I cringe at the thought of feed errors occurring when so many people have actually paid....

ANYONE IN COLORADO wanna have a few good eggs over to enjoy this together? We can't stream out here, and although we have plenty of friends we could go see it with, watching Johnny with DSO fam is one of our favorite things, so if you got the internet connection, TV and soundsystem, we've got the rest!!!!!!! let us know :)

Rob, if I had been alive to see the shows you have seen LIVE, I would probably have talked shit louder than you did, but, alas, missing out on most of the best music America had to offer, I've become quite adept at, um, "receiving the spirit" thru the speakers... but there is a level of "appalling" going on with members of THE live band of all time doing a $20 podcast which seems like a slippery slope to less live shows and more people just connected through screens, which is something live music today STANDS AGAINST (or should, in my humble opinion), because LIVE music is a chance for us to all connect IN PERSON in the FLESH and enjoy each others spirits live.... but, we take what we can get, as always. and there are things growing between us or maybe in us as humans that are allowing us to get the same level of "connectedness" through screens, which is just freakin' insane.... wow.... so maybe it is just a sign of the times, like everything else :)

LOVE YA'LL!!!!!!!!!

• Forum MVP

This is cool. We've been stoked about it because we haven't been able to get out as much as we'd like lately. There are several "jamtronica" bands that have been doing the webcast thing for a while, and I think it's pretty cool they are gonna have Furthur have a go at it with Bobby's new concept... $20 is steep, but as long as IT WORKS, I won't complain too much. NEW YEARS comes to mind and I cringe at the thought of feed errors occurring when so many people have actually paid....

ANYONE IN COLORADO wanna have a few good eggs over to enjoy this together? We can't stream out here, and although we have plenty of friends we could go see it with, watching Johnny with DSO fam is one of our favorite things, so if you got the internet connection, TV and soundsystem, we've got the rest!!!!!!! let us know :)

Rob, if I had been alive to see the shows you have seen LIVE, I would probably have talked shit louder than you did, but, alas, missing out on most of the best music America had to offer, I've become quite adept at, um, "receiving the spirit" thru the speakers... but there is a level of "appalling" going on with members of THE live band of all time doing a $20 podcast which seems like a slippery slope to less live shows and more people just connected through screens, which is something live music today STANDS AGAINST (or should, in my humble opinion), because LIVE music is a chance for us to all connect IN PERSON in the FLESH and enjoy each others spirits live.... but, we take what we can get, as always. and there are things growing between us or maybe in us as humans that are allowing us to get the same level of "connectedness" through screens, which is just freakin' insane.... wow.... so maybe it is just a sign of the times, like everything else :)

LOVE YA'LL!!!!!!!!!

In the vernacular of the peasantry(Wizard of Oz) " WORD!"

Miss you eggs!!! RB

• Forum MVP

i didnt care initially, and that was when I assumed it would be free. but they're charging?! and 20 bucks?! F THAT!

i already listen to music (mostly dead) every waking moment; i dont need to pay 20 bucks for a faux-live show. if im dropping 20 bucks, i better be in the freakin audience. but i guess i'm a biased sample, as im a starving grad student that would kill for a disposable 20 dollars.

However, i will note that I really loved the streaming DSO shows of yesteryear (2007). But it was a REAL show (not a private show for 40 people) that was streamed online and for 6 bucks you got the live stream or for 12 bucks you got the stream and the mp3 download for the show. That rocked! So maybe I'm just in a space in my life right now where i dont have time to watch live streams all the time (let alone travel to shows).

let the bashing begin....

• Forum MVP

i didnt care initially, and that was when I assumed it would be free. but they're charging?! and 20 bucks?! F THAT!

i already listen to music (mostly dead) every waking moment; i dont need to pay 20 bucks for a faux-live show. if im dropping 20 bucks, i better be in the freakin audience. but i guess i'm a biased sample, as im a starving grad student that would kill for a disposable 20 dollars.

However, i will note that I really loved the streaming DSO shows of yesteryear (2007). But it was a REAL show (not a private show for 40 people) that was streamed online and for 6 bucks you got the live stream or for 12 bucks you got the stream and the mp3 download for the show. That rocked! So maybe I'm just in a space in my life right now where i dont have time to watch live streams all the time (let alone travel to shows).

let the bashing begin....

The dso streams were awesome!!! even when there was no video just getting to listen to the soundboard and chat with friends was awesome. And a download afterwards to boot.

It's a huge money maker, this online thing. Not saying that anyone shouldn't support it but i sure as shit wont. If it's about spreading the music around so everyone can hear it then make it free. The fact is at 20$ times X number of people(100k, more?)...it's just ridiculous.

But I want some more dso streams!

• Forum MVP

Stratton3c.jpg

"Wednesday, May 6th [1970 - two days after Kent State] was the first day of canceled classes -- the strike -- at MIT. With the Grateful Dead already in Boston, they came to MIT a day early to perform a free outdoor concert, joining in the student protest (although, cheekily, the "schedule of events" listing in that day's special issue of The Tech said: "2 pm - There will not be a free concert by the Grateful Dead today."). The band set up on the Student Center steps, with the crowd all across Kresge Oval."

Gone are the days, for the most part.

.....that day's special issue of The Tech said: "2 pm - There will not be a free concert by the Grateful Dead today.").

....Gone are the days, for the most part.

#### Off topic: That article "Kabat Hurt in Police Statiion" was an amazing find for me. That is the same Jon Kabat-Zinn who is the the founding director of the Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care, and Society at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center in Worcester, MA. He is a first for health Insurance companies now approving and paying for the practice to help heal patients in hospitals. My friend is his "right hand wo(man) and director of the clinic, doing his work while Jon is semi retired, writing, and lecturing." I saw him in early spring at Dartmouth to a full house of 1000+. He is very approachable for conversation. Great reads for the topic mindful healing: Full Catastrophy Living, "Wherever You Go, There You Are", and Mindful Parenting.

Busted for weed in his early days - wow how this stuff comes out!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Kabat-Zinn

*** okay, back to topic at hand ***

When Phish had their live stream of the NYE run last year, some friends invited me and my GF over to watch one of the shows on a nice big HD tv. I thought it'd be a little boring and just like watching a DVD but I gave it a chance, and I was really surprised how much I liked it.

It's not exactly a replacement of the real experience, but being able to watch Trey, Mike and Page's fingers (and Fishman's amazing hands) and facial expressions up close, and in real time with a beer fridge and a clean bathroom handy was actually pretty cool.

$20 seems steep but it's peanuts compared to flying somewhere and buying tickets to be hundreds of feet away in some hockey arena. Plus I'm a fairly busy musician myself and can't always take a few days off to go see a show.

I personally think it's a cool option. Sure, I wished I was there... but it wasn't a bad substitute.

And it is just an option - we all have the power to save our $20 for other things if we wish.

• Forum MVP
$20 seems steep but it's peanuts compared to flying somewhere and buying tickets to be hundreds of feet away in some hockey arena. Plus I'm a fairly busy musician myself and can't always take a few days off to go see a show.

I personally think it's a cool option...

And it is just an option - we all have the power to save our $20 for other things if we wish.

Well said!

I think 20 is a lot as well but maybe you could get together with a few friends and make it only a few bucks...I wish I had a better connection because it seems like a good way to spend a tuesday night.

• Forum MVP

Money Green. To me all this is, is a money grab. It doesn't interest me one iota. I hope that the folks who purchase this don't have streaming problems, everything goes well, and they enjoy it. It's just not for me.

Archived