10-29-77

sonomajon

I may have squawked about this show on some previous occasion, but for anyone who hasn't spent time with this show ,I must reiterate that it is truly one for the ages...The second set is sooooo damn good...Old school Eyes tempo wise...Lesh bass solo...Jerry warming up for the around the bend 1-22-78 Close Encounters jam...OK...that's all I got... :)

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1977-10-29.sbd.miller.92085.sbeok.flac16

ps...and no David I wasn't there...

• Forum MVP

I may have squawked about this show on some previous occasion, but for anyone who hasn't spent time with this show ,I must reiterate that it is truly one for the ages...The second set is sooooo damn good...Old school Eyes tempo wise...Lesh bass solo...Jerry warming up for the around the bend 1-22-78 Close Encounters jam...OK...that's all I got... :)

Thanks for continuing to squawk on this one as it is >>>drum-roll please..........The best damn GD show ever. <_< Well, ok, it rotates some? :lol: It is never out of my top five regardless of what GD epoch I happen to be immersed in at the time. I keep coming back to one of Bob's favorite tags

• Forum MVP

I knew you weren't there...don't ask me how.

It's cool...you were in that state the next year, which was more important.

Maybe the most energized, end of the fucking universe opener of all time on this one.

I once initially went out with a girl when I found out she was born on this day and that turned into a long relationship.

But I stopped doing that kind of stuff, at some point.

• Forum MVP

Maybe the most energized, end of the fucking universe opener of all time on this one.

I once initially went out with a girl when I found out she was born on this day and that turned into a long relationship.

Why? I keep looking for one born on 5-8-77, though she would be old now...

• Forum MVP

Why? I keep looking for one born on 5-8-77, though she would be old now...

How about born on the date of the Branford Nassau show 3.29.90? Ripe enough for you?

My daughters have a rule I can't date anyone younger than them...I've come close...months...but older is older right :) That Might As Well opener is wild for sure David, but this 2nd set slays me every time. I had the opportunity to listen to it from start to finish yesterday and that's why I felt compelled to post....

• Forum MVP

That Might As Well opener is wild for sure David, but this 2nd set slays me every time. I had the opportunity to listen to it from start to finish yesterday and that's why I felt compelled to post....

Yup...it's just a sign of things to come.

Like all the great openers.

Even the greatest of them all--2/26/77.

• Forum MVP

Yup...it's just a sign of things to come.

Like all the great openers.

Even the greatest of them all--2/26/77.

I would put the 5/9/77 Help->Slip->Franklin's in that conversation, although how can one deny the historic impact of that Terrapin?

I would put the 5/9/77 Help->Slip->Franklin's in that conversation, although how can one deny the historic impact of that Terrapin?

Great example of knowing it was going to be an "on" night...An absolute precursor of what was to come...The help-slip from this show is prob my fave version...but the Franklins doesn't keep that insane energy going imho...This is my go to show when it's late and I'm making the 2+ hour ride home from the city...The UJB encore is fat...the 10-2-77 Casey Jones is another one that fits the bill as well...

• Forum MVP

Could have been just some really good coffee.

Those Bolivian Baristas can really brew a mean cup :wacko: <or so I am told> . Juan Valdez has nothing on these guys. Remember: The best part of wakin' up is...............

I hear mountain grown is the richest kind.

I'm not sure what the band was into at that moment...but it sounded just exactly perfect...My posse's fall 77' run was rife with iced tea mix infused with mescaline and that was just exactly perfect as well.. :)

• Forum MVP

I'm not sure what the band was into at that moment...but it sounded just exactly perfect...My posse's fall 77' run was rife with iced tea mix infused with mescaline and that was just exactly perfect as well.. :)

Oh man, we were on that page too (aside from the sheets); you could taste the choc's Nescafe and it was so, so good.

Oh man, we were on that page too (aside from the sheets); you could taste the choc's Nescafe and it was so, so good.

I love ya man :).... Seriously tho... I believe it was Nestea ice mix...and it traveled so well with America being obsessed with instant anything! The sheets were just staples...like bread n butter....blue construction paper...I nicknamed it later on as reconstruction blues...but in retrospect it should have had adopted the moniker of Stella Blue as the ride home was always bathed in that blue outline of street lights and the headlights of oncoming cars....OK... I hope this doesn't get me into trouble...

• Forum MVP

In the interest of clarity (such as it is these days smile.gif ) I should have said "not to mention the sheets." And you haven't lived until you were in an enhanced state, down on hands and knees, about an hour and a half before a show looking through shag carpet for little chips of windowpane.

And the arrows of neon, flashing marquees, headlines all bathed in the street lamps - spiral lights of civilization...

Yup. Same exact energy as that Might As Well.

We won't bother to speculate what was behind that energy.

Could have been just some really good coffee.

Just like the 10-12-84 Stranger opener kicks the door in your face with a big bellowing/grinning...HELLO!...I'd put the 4-24-78 Jet in the same pre- school....That whole show is truly remarkable...The Ramble On Rose is perhaps the most impassioned vocal ever for that particular tune...For me the only fly in the ointment is the ongoing Weir on the job training sort of...experimentation with the slide...but Jerry being the highest (yet in this time period maybe the most grounded?)...pulled Weir in at a certain point and closed out the jam...probably out of respect for the music...but also as a loving gesture to his dear friend :)

• 4 months later...

"Thank you for your kind patience as you can plainly see we're getting our space together up here."

:rofl:

Bump...http://www.archive.org/details/gd77-10-29.sbd.kempa.280.sbeok.shnf

In honor of the day...also my sis' bday...She reminded me this morning that the only GD show she, my brother, and I attended together was 5-8-77...she walked in with a smile but no ticket...ahhh.gone are the days...

Archived