Sensitive Question: Is It All About The Drugs?

deadfan

do drugs enhance the experience?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. do drugs enhance the GD experience?

• Yes, I wont go unless I have some.
    • I would go to a show without but won't have as good a time.
    • I would go to a show with or without... it makes no difference.
    • I don't believe in drug usage @ shows.

The truth is, is this music was born out of the hippie days of the acid tests. Jerry & the gang specifically played to those who were taking part in the acid tests. Their music was intended to enhance or play with the trip. Personally, I would have a great time @ a show without using drugs but by far, the shows r grately enhanced, especially when enhanced with "the long strange trip". Certainly most the band members themselves have used drugs to enhance their performances. Remember that alcohol and marijuana are drugs! So what r ur thoughts? (Don't answer if u would rather keep such things confidential)

After saying that, there was a real lack of such things at grateful fest this year due to past arrests coming out from that venue (not all gd related bands). But it seemed like one and all had a grate grate time! However it was also apparent that some heavy stuff made it thru and people were tripping and from my point of view, those were the people who were truly having the best times.. they weren't just sitting watching the show but joinilng in and becoming part of it and to me, that is what it is all about. The musicians express themselves w/ their instruments and us dancers express ourselves thru. Dance & movement! Yeeehaw!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The truth is, is this music was born out of the hippie days of the acid tests. Jerry & the gang specifically played to those who were taking part in the acid tests.

No disrespect but your poll in my opinion is white noise. I do not think it is a fair fight as it relates to the Gravitas of Music -v- Drugs...

To me its an insult to music and musicians in general to pose the question in those terms. Everyone experiences, feels and processes the music in their own individual and unique way.

Similarly people who take drugs feel and processes them in the own individual and unique way..

Sometimes the two intersect and sometimes they do not....Music to me though stands alone as the Beacon..

Also the drug albatross around the Grateful Dead and Dead Music has always been overblown and unfair and frankly take away from the importance and historical significance of the musical product itself, which as everyone knows is hall of fame caliber both from the writing and the music end of things..

I mean your suggestion that those tripping were having a better time than those that were not is a stretch..I mean people have been dancing to the beats for Thousands of years......Way before Owsley Stanley came along..Not saying I have issues with that but to me..It is a very, very small part of the story....Some people will say that is a HUGE part of the story..

The music speaks for itself and does not need to be filtered through the prism of booze and drugs...

Apples and Oranges...Just one guys opinion..

• Forum MVP

personal preference/ experience. saw 50 + dead shows as a young buck and remember very few of them, saw lots and lots of dso shows and remember all of them. There are plenty of us on the boards who had too much too fast and don't touch anything, seems like we have as good of time as those who do...

• Forum MVP

I just want to go to shows and see my friends and hear the music I love ... do drugs , don't do drugs , it's all up to the individual ... just be safe and turn on your love light !!!

:grouphug:

I no longer smoke weed at shows (or at all) because I end up not remembering the show/dazing off during important music even with a small amount. However, some of the more interesting psychedelics (LSD, Psyclobin , etc.) are often ingested at shows..

Yet I don't have enough experience to say which one is better than the other. Drugs have undoubtedly affected my experience of the music even while sober, and I listen to more music sober than high. Actually, I rarely ever listen to music high, and if I am, I'm probably at a show. That should make it clear that I like both.

• Forum MVP

personal preference/ experience. saw 50 + dead shows as a young buck and remember very few of them, saw lots and lots of dso shows and remember all of them. There are plenty of us on the boards who had too much too fast and don't touch anything, seems like we have as good of time as those who do...

Pretty much my own experience as well. I tasted.....a lot.....had some far out experiences at many GD shows.

Been there, done it, don't regret it. It was time to move on. Something like 75 DSO shows in 12 years.......all sober........all awesome.

I think that any1 who questions my historical account ought to look it up themselves. The GD originally played the acid tests along with airplan, joplin etc and they were intended to play to a tripping crowd. If u think that the music is not supposed to be experienced in that way then u probably have never tripped. Furthermore, do u really think the music would have been the same had jerryand the gang Not experimented with drugs? If ur thinking that way, then ur wrong! Plain & simple. Besides, I know for a fact hat members of gd bands and lots of other bands experimntd w drugs and fouf the drugs made their music more complete. Futhermore, if u r not tripping @ a show, u r not having as much fun... plain & simple.. if u haven't experinced the trip u cannot know what I am talkin about. If u were at gr8fulfest 12 then u know they made an announcement about drugs to which dso was against. We r not talkin bout breakin the law or the morality of drugs but how they play into this music. I have known this music for a long long time & have found very very few who didn't experiment with drgs. And by the way, the reason cannibus sativa has made it thru the evolutionary process while more than 99 percent of all species have gone extint is due to the same reason the do made it... they became man's best friends. Marijuana was used by ancient egyptians thousands of yrs ago and there is much evidence that ancient cultures used hallucinogenics. In fact, a tribe today in south america uses a hallucinogenic that they say is part of a thousand yr old tradition. I think the poll is fair... if u don't want to respond please don't. Don't feel u have to respond. To every posting that comes on these boards. I am asking simply to see what others opinions r. And don't go thinking that ur opinion is that of everyones. Already there r folks who feel differently than u. And in fact, it has always been a question that follows the dead and the music.

• Forum MVP
. Furthermore, do u really think the music would have been the same had jerryand the gang Not experimented with drugs?

No. But I also don't think it would have been the same had Jerry Garcia not mastered the banjo and acoustic guitar before ever tripping, or if Phil Lesh hadn't studied Charles Ives, or if Bob Weir never walked into Dana Morgan's music store in Palo Alto on December 31, 1963, and so on.

I have no quarrel with anyone who finds this music better when they're tripping than when they're not. Each to his own. But I'm hard pressed to find it reported anywhere that Garcia said drugs made him compose or perform better. The sonic record during his descent into addiction confirms that it did not.

Futhermore, if u r not tripping @ a show, u r not having as much fun... plain & simple...

I am asking simply to see what others opinions r. And don't go thinking that ur opinion is that of everyones. Already there r folks who feel differently than u.

Futhurmore, please speak for yourself and not for others about how much fun a person can have.

;)

Futhermore, if u r not tripping @ a show, u r not having as much fun... plain & simple.. if u haven't experinced the trip u cannot know what I am talkin about.

That statement is so ridiculous there is no need to elaborate on it...

And your not really trying to give a history lesson to those on this board who have seen several shows including many during the decade of the 70's are you?

Really? What decade were you born in?

I do apologize for jumping on your original poll question as you have the right to pose whatever question you wish....

But I also don't think it would have been the same had Jerry Garcia not mastered the banjo and acoustic guitar before ever tripping, or if Phil Lesh hadn't studied Charles Ives, or if Bob Weir never walked into Dana Morgan's music store in Palo Alto on December 31, 1963, and so on.

Yes..Yes..and Yes..Musicians first and always...

• Forum MVP

Lsd undoubtably had a large affect on the music and the scene. That doesnt mean that those who are tripping are having more fun. Believe me, ive tripped at MANY shows but i seldom do anymore, and when i do i sometimes have less fun. Once expanded do u need to keep expanding, over and over? Is there still growth occuring? im not saying that there is anything wrong with it but just giving the perspective of someone who does a lot LESS drugs then they used to.

I keep asking myself, does the lsd make it a better show? To each his to his own & for me, I know that I have a tremendously grater time. But those who know me (& if u watch me closely) I am NOT just dancing freely but am very intuned to the upscales, down scales, the hard strums, the changeover etc and in this way I am expressing myself thru dance and motion (movement). My arms (which my friend lightly tease me bout) are hittting pinnacles at the same moment when jeff isat his zenith and every squirm and movement follows his scales wherever they go. But this is NOT due to the drgs... it's just from knowing the music which I m sure u all know as well. However the expressiona dn freedom to express is due to the drgs. Mango knows I love to dance witheveryone whether u know me or not and that fredom comes partly from the drgs and the loss of inhibitions. The drgs definitely allows u to experience reality on a diff level and for me, I sometimes look around at people who r lookin at me strangely and I KNOW I AM HAVING A BETTER TIME THAN THEY R. Its funny cuz every show someone comes up to me and says,"dude, u had the best time in this place".. I think mango can testify to that... that is why I am known as the happy asian. Am I as happy when not on lsd or othr drgs? NO and as sad as that might seem, I am not responsible for the world iwe were given and unfortunately it is not the happiest world.. that is not to say that I am not happy in my reg life...I love my life but I'm big enuff to admit how much the drgs make things happier! Hey I am not the 1st person to call tese happy drugs. In fact it was that happiness that Leary and garcia and evryone else thought the world had the right to experience which led to him creating the acid tests. However, if u have never tripped b4 then u really cannot be part of this conversation cuz u don't know the experielce.

Also, please remember that alcohol is a drug and if seriously go to a show without dropping smoking or drinking then and only then can u say u don't use drugs. Since the legality is not part of this topic or conversation, 1 cannot condemn another for the type of drug used... lest we forget such thingslike there has never been a pot-related death and that alcohol is currently the number 1 killer amongst all drugs.

Define "Drugs" - GD music has a subliminal sound track that is unique. If you choose to not access it you enjoy the music, if you choose to tap in you experience the music. Partaking in "Natural" substances unlocks the door ... either way is a win win. Abuse of any drug on any level is FUCKING STUPID & INCONSIDERATE!

• Forum MVP
if u have never tripped b4 then u really cannot be part of this conversation cuz u don't know the experielce.

But you posted a poll that explicity asks folks who don't do drugs to be part of the conversation. Check your dose.

One might say (I certainly wouldn't) that if you trip you cannot be part any coversation about spelling. :D

• Forum MVP

The Grateful Dead would not have evolved into the same animal had it not been for LSD in the 60s. I don't think anyone would dispute that. But I think a better question is how the music would have been going forward had Garcia been completely drug free after, say, the early 70s. I'm of the opinion that it would have been worlds better.

The Grateful Dead would not have evolved into the same animal had it not been for LSD in the 60s. I don't think anyone would dispute that. But I think a better question is how the music would have been going forward had Garcia been completely drug free after, say, the early 70s. I'm of the opinion that it would have been worlds better.

Do u play guitar or any other instrument? I can say for me, I can hardley believe how well my fingers move and how easily I can jam when on lsd... I mean would the book, "One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest" have been the same had the author NOT written it while tripping? He is NOT the only author to do that and I think jerry played better in his psychadelic tripping days than he did in his cocaine heroin days. I definitely think that jerry played better on lsd and there was never a show where he didn't smoke some pot before hand and during. In fact, bob tripped last yr during the nokia show and he really did a better job. Whether its the speed or the psychadelic effect or both, it enhances many things I do including skii, bicycle, rollerblade, play guitar & of course dance.

• Forum MVP

But you posted a poll that explicity asks folks who don't do drugs to be part of the conversation. Check your dose.

One might say (I certainly wouldn't) that if you trip you cannot be part any coversation about spelling. biggrin.gif

That proposition could be extended (note that I also am not an adherent of this school of thought) to punctuation. Indeed logic, proportion, and grammar may fall sloppy dead.

Each of us sees our own private spiral light of Venus...

• Forum MVP

Do u play guitar or any other instrument? I can say for me, I can hardley believe how well my fingers move and how easily I can jam when on lsd... I mean would the book, "One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest" have been the same had the author NOT written it while tripping? He is NOT the only author to do that and I think jerry played better in his psychadelic tripping days than he did in his cocaine heroin days. I definitely think that jerry played better on lsd and there was never a show where he didn't smoke some pot before hand and during. In fact, bob tripped last yr during the nokia show and he really did a better job. Whether its the speed or the psychadelic effect or both, it enhances many things I do including skii, bicycle, rollerblade, play guitar & of course dance.

If i had a shotgun....

If i had a shotgun....

Re the shotgun post... is that some kind of threat or r u quoting Loser?

Secondly, I said everyone and anyone can post to this topic but I also said that if hadn't tripped b4 then u cannot say it is good or bad in the same way that if u have never tasted licorice (as an example) then u r not in a position the judge it. Anyone can post to this topic but please stick to things with which u have experience.

Plz check ur own doses and comment on the topic and not simply to be against me. If u take all that I said negatively then it will b negagive to u but if u look at it objectively u will see that I am not trying to be negative here... there is a lot of negative energy in this foru... all I am saying is try to be objective... if u want to trash me then I will create another post for that!

Archived